Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Inappropriate

Re: Universal Middle Earth Land

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    FLE is not a major addition? Virtually everyone would disagree with you there.
    It's a visual addition, but the ride roster went up by zero. Hardly an addition. Expansion, yes. Addition, no.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    i think its quite clear that this is disney's attitude considering we have not seen a truly major addition to the resort since everest. there has been no real fundamental expansions over the past few years, and future trends lack artistic merit or excitement in any sense. its a truly sad trend that has not really turned the corner yet (although i will say new fantasyland was a half-step in the right direction with its thematics and beautiful scenery).
    I agree that Fantasyland was Disney's half attempt to gain back some of the lost spotlight, but I think it is also clear that Disney is at least trying to compete with what Universal has been doing. Avatar was a clear attempt to create a similar Potter-effect in Disney's park, it just was also pretty clearly a very poor attempt.

Bottom line they are trying, but not incredibly successfully, to compete because that's what these two entertainment giants do: they compete.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    It's a visual addition, but the ride roster went up by zero. Hardly an addition. Expansion, yes. Addition, no.
    Agreed. It's more walking space (something WDW does not need more of) and a bunch of beautiful things too look at (something WDW has plenty of) but ride wise there is not much added with the expansion. Magic Kingdom did not need more M&G's, restaurants, and play areas. It needs rides and the expansion simply took up too much land and did not add enough rides. Added: (+1)capacity to dumbo, (+2)TLM dark ride, (+3)TLM M&G, (+4)Princess M&G, (+5)Belle special M&G, (+6)SBC M&G (+7)Water play area, and (+8)SDMT. Removed: (-1)Mickey's House M&G, (-2)Minnie's House M&G, (-3)Pixie Hollow M&G, (-4)Toontown Hall of Fame M&G, (-5)Donald's Boat play area, (-6)Snow White Scary Adventures, and the (-7)Submarines (although years earlier). Remained: Dumbo, Barnstormer, and Train Station. So, with the exception of the added capacity that of both TLM and Dumbo give, the only true addition that isn't cancelled out is the Seven Dwarves Mine Train. So yes they did expand, but they really didn't add all that much attraction wise.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Metro-Retro Historian

Oh no! If Universal gets Lord of the Rings Disney will have to compensate by getting the rights to Twilight, because as we all know theme parks only exist to make rides out of movies.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Oh no! If Universal gets Lord of the Rings Disney will have to compensate by getting the rights to Twilight, because as we all know theme parks only exist to make rides out of movies.
    You take that back!! You take that back right now!! I nominate this the worst post on this board! NAY! The worst post of all time!

Haha!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    FLE is not a major addition? Virtually everyone would disagree with you there.
    lol its wonderful you can speak for virtually everyone here then. in something where there is only one true ride addition, and that ride addition is a c ticket omnimover clone from cali. for something to be a major addition an e ticket or at least more then one true ride addition would need to be involved. i mean if you go back technically theres no true ride additions in new fantasyland per-say as the little mermaid would be the long awaited replacement for 20,000 leagues under the sea. so really this is the land thats biggest true addition is a new restaurant, hardly a major addition.

I think if Disney is to compete in Orlando, they need to step up their game across the board. The resorts are run down and need serious work to bring them up to the standards of off property hotels. If Disney wants to keep its current rides, it needs to step up its maintenance on its rides. Then, Disney needs to rethink EPCOT and DHS. Both need serious work. This leaves MK and AK as the primary parks to visit. However, Disney parks close far earlier on the east coast than the west coast, which brings me to Paradise Island. When I ended up there on my last trip due to the parks closing early, there was just not enough to do. So Disney needs to rethink that property too.

What this means that I now see Orlando as a Universal destination for an extended weekend. In the US, DL/DCA is the property to go to, but I can do those parks in three days.

Why spend the money going to WDW for a whole week? I'm struggling to come up with a reason now. I can see parents with pre-teens seeing Disney as a good family destination, but why spend a week at WDW when they can do a cheaper trip to DL/DCA, see the same rides in better shape, and stay at off property hotels that are cheaper and nice with shuttles.

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    lol its wonderful you can speak for virtually everyone here then. in something where there is only one true ride addition, and that ride addition is a c ticket omnimover clone from cali. for something to be a major addition an e ticket or at least more then one true ride addition would need to be involved. i mean if you go back technically theres no true ride additions in new fantasyland per-say as the little mermaid would be the long awaited replacement for 20,000 leagues under the sea. so really this is the land thats biggest true addition is a new restaurant, hardly a major addition.
    I think the ride is a major addition. They obviously didn't cheap out with this ride, especially with the queue, and the ride itself is another great dark ride with high capacity. With the other ride on the other side of the country, cloning really isn't a big deal at all unless you're the few who are able to frequently able to visit both.

If you look at it as strictly competition, then yeah the ride isn't major especially with that Universal has been coming up with. But I don't think the ride, or expansion, had anything to do with competition. If the area brings in more people this year, than it did it's job. People are happy with the new additions, so it's already doing it's job with satisfying people. It's still a great ride & addition to the park, just because it isn't groundbreaking doesn't mean it isn't a true ride addition.

Also thinking that a ride isn't an addition just because it replaces something is ridiculous. If that's the case then there was nothing to be added when Disney redid the entrance at DCA, or replaced a quick-service burrito restaurant for TSMM.

I honestly think the competition between the parks are rarely as big as the fans want there to be. Every ride now on is going to be compared to Universal just because.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    They had theme park rights for Star Wars for TWENTY FIVE YEARS. What makes you think they will do ANYTHING with them NOW?? Get real.

True but I think the big difference is that they were paying Lucas and 20th century fox a hefty licensing fee for theme park rights to use the characters as well as a hefty percentage of merchandise sells.

now not only do they have the rights but they own the property and will be producing future installments that they would definitely capitalize on.

It make sense for them to finally thing about exploiting to the franchise to its potential with a Star Wars land

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I can't think of a single possible ride that would fit the LotR setting. The droptower of Barad-dr? Walking: The Ride? Middle Earth is one of my favorite things, maybe second only to Star Wars, but I can't picture it at all in a theme park setting.
    The latest hobbit movie sure has some scenes that could definitely be turned into a ride and I do think that an attraction similar to the Harry potter one can also be integrated into a middle earth land. Anything that universal does will have to really portray the immense landscape of middle earth.

it would have been something would would have been great for Disney to have built after seeing the huge mountain range for Carsland.

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    I agree that Fantasyland was Disney's half attempt to gain back some of the lost spotlight, but I think it is also clear that Disney is at least trying to compete with what Universal has been doing. Avatar was a clear attempt to create a similar Potter-effect in Disney's park, it just was also pretty clearly a very poor attempt.

Bottom line they are trying, but not incredibly successfully, to compete because that's what these two entertainment giants do: they compete.
    How can you say that Avatar was a poor attempt when you have not seen what is planned.

just because some people either don't like avatar or have little confidence in the franchise or just little imagination of what could be done with this property does not mean that WDI does not if given the chance.

when Carsland was announced many kept saying it was a poor attempt/idea and that it would not have the lasting power. Well know that land is considered a a huge success and still is packing them in after 6 months or like Al put it.
    "January 6, 2013: With Cars Land now famous around the country as Disney's biggest theme park hit in decades"
    Last edited by Baloo; 01-06-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123