Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: "Urban Explorer" banned for life...

someone found yellow milk in their cheerios today...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Functional & Decorative

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHeimbuch View Post
    The argument of "He should become a cast member if he wanted to see these things" really makes no sense whatsoever.

So, it would be OK for a Cast Member to explore this stuff backstage, post their findings online, and even with the same risks of getting themselves hurt?

And again, a lot of you are making broad, generalized statements about him.

"He had no regard for rules. He loves to trespass. He was rubbing it in Disney's face."

No...no, he is none of those things. That's like saying metal music causes people to worship Satan.

He is a curious guy who let his curiosity get the better of him. He wanted to see how things were done. We're all guilty of that. He just went to go look, which is further than most of us would have.

No one jumps on Hoot and Chief from Mesa Verde Times when THEY were doing it to Horizons, because they were able to thoroughly document a ride that is sorely missed today.

So, say Adam's videos and findings didn't come online for another....oh...15-20 years. Then you would all be praising him for documenting this stuff now that it's gone.

I'm not condoning his behavior of sneaking around backstage. But I am saying thank you to him for helping me learn a little more. And I am asking you guys to think a little bit before you throw some wild accusations out there about someone you don't know.
    Yes and no.

I agree with you on one point... just being a cast member does not automatically give you all access to all backstage areas. And indeed, if a cast member went into some of those same unauthorized areas, that's just as bad. True enough.

But defending his trespassing... just can't follow that. If an area is banned, it's banned. There's a sign, or a blockade. Passing around it is breaking the rules. Period. Granted, I have not viewed every single one of his videos from start to finish, but isn't interesting that many of them don't show how he got into the area... they just begin with him there. Very convenient that they skip him going around the fences/signs/blockades that would directly incriminate him.

Many of us may recall at Great America, a guy jumped a fenced to get his hat that fell off a roller coaster. He was hit by the ride and killed. It happens. Fences and signs are for our safety, folks.

I don't know Hoot and Chief, so I don't have an opinion there, but if they broke the same rules, I'd feel the same way... whether the ride or attraction is around now or not. Granted, I suppose if video is posted 10-15 years after the fact, it's less urgent to prosecute, especially if the trespassed areas don't even exist anymore. But point is... most of his were current, and he was continuing to do so. Sets a bad example for the present.

Are his videos interesting? I can't deny it, it is interesting. As viewers, we're not the one taking the risk. But at the same time, for me, it was always tinged with guilt of seeing someone blatantly break rules. After a while, I just stopped watching them, because I didn't want to feel like I was condoning it.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Mice Chat Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    The whole "Dark Side of Disney" crowd who can't wait to spread rumors about Walt being a Nazi, his frozen head being stored somewhere, listing all deaths ( real or rumor ) in the park, and anything else that helps them to get a rise out of tearing things down. Disney's been dealing with counter-culture before guys like Adam were even born.

This is, quite possibly, the most far off base thing I've ever heard.

You're making a generalized assumption about the so called "Dark Side" movement, which is, quite frankly, completely wrong.

Not one of the people who you would include in that group has ever claimed that Walt was a Nazi, that his head was frozen somewhere, or are even tearing Disney down. You should probably research that claim a little more before saying it.

In fact, these are people who actually ENJOY the park, but don't see it through pixie dust coated classes.

Just because a person looks a certain way or acts a certain way doesn't mean they can't have the same love of Disney that the rest of us do.

And having a conversation about deaths that have occurred in the Park, rumored or real, causes one to be involved in that movement? Well, then, crap, some of you on this message board better look out, because now that includes you.

ah, so he's a valiant explorer now? A man of the people, just trying to learn and share with the rest of us? How noble. He's such a hero. We should all gather around and worship at the alter of Adam the Woo, right?
    Piss on him. He got what he deserved and you're defending an empty hero. Choose your friends better.
    Did I once call him a hero? Did I say we should worship him?

No. In fact, I did the opposite. But instead, you're the one putting him on a pedestal calling him an empty hero.

And telling me to "choose my friends better" is an attack on me, good sir. Do I tell you who your friends should be? No, I don't. So don't tell me not to be friends with one of the hundreds of friends I have made in this community.

• Mice Chat Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    Yes and no.
    But defending his trespassing... just can't follow that. If an area is banned, it's banned. There's a sign, or a blockade. Passing around it is breaking the rules. Period. Granted, I have not viewed every single one of his videos from start to finish, but isn't interesting that many of them don't show how he got into the area... they just begin with him there. Very convenient that they skip him going around the fences/signs/blockades that would directly incriminate him.
    Again, just to be clear, I am absolutely NOT defending his trespassing.

Jeff = 1 Everyone else = 0

Yeah, I'm with Jeff on this one. The followers of Dark Side of Disney do not spread rumors about Walt being a Nazi, his frozen head being stored somewhere, and stating all the deaths real, or rumor from what I have seen. However, Adam for example has made a video about the haunted celebration lake, but that's what he stated it to be an urban legend.

I've never read the book technically, but I've seen the videos of the person who wrote the book and seen his fans. He loves Disney just as much as any other fan, perhaps even more and truly appreciates Disney, the parks, Imagineering, Epcot, and anything you can think of relating to Disney. He just puts a little "adult" twist with how he has fun there.

I'm going to stay out of the debate of whether I personally feel sympathy for Adam, or not, but I am shocked that it happened that way.

Yes, Adam knew it said, "Cast Members Only," each time he walked through that door, however if Adam was warned with a "cease and desist" before hand he definitely would have stopped. At WDW and a variety of other locations in the past if he were to be caught, he would kindly respect the person's wishes, leave if told to do so, and listen to them. He seemed very heartbroken of it.

Also, another reason why I am shocked is (as others briefly mentioned) other people who are friends of his (and are on YouTube as well) have done just as much, if anything perhaps more when it comes to exploring backstage and haven't gotten a life time ban from Disney.

Out of the three main people that I think of off the top of my head (and actually have been interviewed on camera on Fox), I'm surprised out of all three he would be the one to get the lifetime ban considering he's kind of a new comer compared to the other two.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I think the most important issue is whether or not Disney gave him any warnings. From what I read, he thought it came out of the blue, while Disney says they've repeatedly warned him about his behavior.

I also think the biggest problem with his actions is the posting of the videos on the web. Sure, geeks like me love to see them. But he's basically advertising that he's breaking the rules. And Disney is very much within their rights to give him the permanent boot, if they did indeed caution him several times.

...all the loud talk and how many of you have hung out with Adam? Besides Jeff and maybe a few others, have any of you even MET Adam? Do you guys even realize that he intentionally set it up so Disney would approach him? Too much talking and not enough listening. Every forum thread about Adam's ban is exactly the same. Armchair police officers and attorneys who dont even know what breaking the law looks like.

I implore any of you to talk with Adam and/or me face to face about the matter.

*ps there is no such thing as a "dark side of disney movement". People have been doing things they arent supposed to at WDW since before the park even opened. I used to work with CMs at MK that literally lived in the park. Youre a fool if you think that stuff still doesnt happen. It always has been and always will be. There arent enough hours in the day to stop people from snooping and breaking rules.
    Last edited by nomeus; 01-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.

• Co-Host of the UUOP

I have spoken with Adam several times and watched all of his videos. You can say what you will about Disney and the ban, your opinion is your opinion and I won't argue that. It boils down to Disney's decision and they made it. That's that.

Now, the people that don't know him and have not spoken with him sitting here and saying horrible things about the man need to go watch a few of his videos, especially his Daily Woos. He is an extremely personable, passionate fan that loves Disney, Movies and abandoned places. From the first time I messaged him as a fan, he has treated me extremely nicely and has been nothing but affable in every situation. I ordered a shirt from him a few days before his band went out on tour and he made a rush trip in the middle of his prep to send me that shirt despite running around like a maniac getting his tour set up. He would bend over backwards for one of his friends and his friends would do the same for him.

Also, if you take a news article as a word-for-word account of an interview, you seriously need expand your horizons. The person writing the article or editing the shoot has full control to convey any generalized message they want. This is a situation where Adam is conflicted, and you would be too. He knew the risks of what he did and he suffered the consequences, but he still loves Disney.

• Minion

+1

His ego must have been pretty big, according to the article: "Adam, who is upset about the ban, claims the security guards that got him were actually fans of his videos."

Oh really.... Wow. He's so full of himself that he thinks the security guards were remorseful about kicking this "great hero" out of the park? How sad the umpires were when Casey Jones struck out, eh? Nah, I don't think so. The people tasked with security, the people he had to sneak around, and he thinks they were his fans? The same way the FBI apologizes to organized crime leaders everytime they're saddened by having to arrest one of them? The people he's been making ***** out of by sneaking where he shouldn't be, and they just love him, eh? I wonder if their statement wasn't more like this:

Security: "Oh yeah buddy, we've been watching your videos. Studying them, actually."

Adam: "Oh boy, more fans!"

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that there's a handful of apologists for him posting here, and making it sound like we ( who hold him responsible for his actions ) are preaching "hate." Sometimes I've noticed MiceAge ends up with a few of those people who chomp at the bit to find something dark about Disney. The whole "Dark Side of Disney" crowd who can't wait to spread rumors about Walt being a Nazi, his frozen head being stored somewhere, listing all deaths ( real or rumor ) in the park, and anything else that helps them to get a rise out of tearing things down. Disney's been dealing with counter-culture before guys like Adam were even born.

I've only seen a couple of posts here saying Adam's a great guy and I'm already sick of it. If he's so great then maybe he could let his actions show it.

ah, so he's a valiant explorer now? A man of the people, just trying to learn and share with the rest of us? How noble. He's such a hero. We should all gather around and worship at the alter of Adam the Woo, right?

Piss on him. He got what he deserved and you're defending an empty hero. Choose your friends better.

Wow. How did this get to be about Nazis and worshipping and then pissing? You seriously have to calm down if anyone is going to take you seriously. The guy didn't kill anyone, he satisfied a morbid curiosity we all share. Like, I can't believe this is a serious response!

I agree with everything Jeff has said. In addition, I can't believe that so many fellow theme park lovers and Disney fans would be so quick to crucify a guy who wanted to peek backstage. And until you actually meet the guy, I think it's unfair to call him arrogant and warrant him deserving of so much hate.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I completely agree that a lot of what's been said has been over the top (which should come as no big surprise on a Disney fan site!). But he was definitely tempting fate when he posted his exploits on the web. And Disney finally caught up to him.

We can just leave it at that. He chose to tempt fate, he knew exactly what he was doing. He took his punishment like an adult. There is no beef between him and Disney, it is all settled. My two cents = life ban is excessive, 1-5 years is acceptable...end of story

*note Adam does not call himself an urban explorer. Ask him yourself and he will most likely just tell you that he is a guy that likes to make videos of interesting things. Check out his movie location videos. He puts a lot of time and effort into researching the locations and putting them all together.
    Last edited by nomeus; 01-17-2013 at 04:55 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I think the most important issue is whether or not Disney gave him any warnings. From what I read, he thought it came out of the blue, while Disney says they've repeatedly warned him about his behavior.
    Why do they even owe him any warnings? It's not like he didn't know he was breaking Disney's rules. They didn't owe him anything.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Why do they even owe him any warnings? It's not like he didn't know he was breaking Disney's rules. They didn't owe him anything.

They did give him a warning. It's called a trespass warning that he signed and Disney signed, issued by OCSO. He can go back to Disney property if he wants but if he is caught, he will go to jail. Thats the warning.

•   

LOL, look at all the posts by people with 1 post. Clearly people who were solicited by Jeff ( or others, who cares ) to come in here and defend Adam. The only way a bad idea can look good is if you specifically make an effort to drum up support and tell them all to come here to post on Adam's behalf! Ha. Caught.

Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast