Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WDW Conditions - Cause and Effect

So this post is just a means of opening a conversation. Lately there have been many comments, posts etc. that mention the deplorable conditions of WDW properties. As a passholder and DVC member I notice these things as well. Many people want to blame Disney executives and the cost cutting measures that have been employed that reduce maintenance and upkeep as well as general daily cleaning. While I too feel that conditions within WDW can be attributed somewhat to budgetary reasons from management, I also believe that the attitude of guests have changed as well and can be just as much, if not more so, to blame for cleanliness and conditions within the parks.

In my many years of visiting I have noticed more and more how careless people are towards where they leave their trash as well as how badly they treat their surroundings. How many times have you seen parents who let their children climb on rockwork, swing from chains on stanchions, stand on trash bins during parades? I see it all the time. How does Disney combat this? Yes, they could hire a legion of staff to monitor everywhere and pick up every piece of trash that is left behind but what would this do to the already skyrocketing prices?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend Disney entirely in this. I understand that there are certain things that are not guest related that still need work (attraction animatronics for instance) but there are always outside influences that can have an effect for which there is not always an easy answer.

Feel free to add your comments.

Re: WDW Conditions - Cause and Effect

I think with Disney not caring enough about its parks, the guest stop caring so much too. And it makes a vicious cycle. But yes your right both guests and Disney need to start caring more!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySam View Post
    While I too feel that conditions within WDW can be attributed somewhat to budgetary reasons from management, I also believe that the attitude of guests have changed as well and can be just as much, if not more so, to blame for cleanliness and conditions within the parks.
    I agree with the previous poster that it's a cycle the Disney doesn't put to an end.

Also I think when comparing to the better DLR, the guests there have ownership of thier home park and take more care. In WDW too many on a vacation to someplace else to care about it.

• Seasick

The issue of wear and tear caused by guests is a drop in the bucket when it comes to discussing what is wrong with WDW.

Kids climbing on rock work is a non-issue compared to broken show elements (i.e. Big Thunder and the Yeti) and a Tree of Life shedding its' branches.

Disney can't always control some of what guests do, but they can certainly choose to maintain their resort at a higher level.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

I meant it as mainly for the cleanness of the park.. It could work its way into the cleanness of the rides. Disney could slowly turn this around with showing more pride in the parks, and try to get the locals to have pride in there local park by not trashing it and what not. With the people having more pride, id like to think that Disney staff would also have more pride in keeping the rides up to date, and working properly.. but one can only hope. Who knows what it will take at this point.

I agree, people are becoming uncaring pigs. Far too many people are being brought up to have no respect for public property, let alone a place like Disney.

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by deathcomesarippin View Post
    I meant it as mainly for the cleanness of the park.. It could work its way into the cleanness of the rides. Disney could slowly turn this around with showing more pride in the parks, and try to get the locals to have pride in there local park by not trashing it and what not. With the people having more pride, id like to think that Disney staff would also have more pride in keeping the rides up to date, and working properly.. but one can only hope. Who knows what it will take at this point.
    Good luck getting the American population to respect property, the mentality of "it's not mine I don't care, they hire janitors for a reason" is embedded in a lot of people. It's pretty obvious after MSE at park closure (I always stick an hour or two after closing time to just enjoy the empty park and the maintenance lights popping from their hiding place) how the hub and Main Street are an absolute mess and there is a small army of people pushing giant vacuums cleaning up all the rubbish. Hell this problem isn't even new, Adventure Thru Inner Space was a trashcan, the piles of discarded food created a vague ozone smell and the projection screens, sets and even ride vehicles were being damaged by people didn't give a crap. Disney can't just entice people into respecting their parks, they have to keep them highly maintained at all times or else they slip.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I dont' know. Put some cartoon drawings of Disney kids throwing away their own trash in the buses and various spots in the parks. I said "their own trash" not everyone elses. They could also do an animated feature or use actors in a tv spot to play in the rooms to get some of the people visiting.

I may help a little because some adults don't care but their kids might encourage their own parents to clean up after themselves.

I mean look how society treats their own movie theatres. they are trashed after each showing. Yet the company has adapted to it but cleaning it up. Disney does clean up the mess, maybe not as fast as some would like but they do clean it up.

I don't know. I don't see a trashy theme park when I visited this past november. Or Disneyland back in the summertime. Over WDW back last halloween. I just don't see the trash as an issue with the parks. I see trash in aisles at Target. In people's own cars.

Maybe Disney can only do so much to keep up with people's bad habits.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Nutty about Disney parks

Walt would cry. He would always be the first guy to pick up trash in his park if he ever spotted it.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

BandM has it right about Americas lazy mindset. And I really like Micoofy ducks idea about the little cartoons and signs here and there to help remind people to stop being lazy and disrespectful. Its sad that might have to happen.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    I agree, people are becoming uncaring pigs. Far too many people are being brought up to have no respect for public property, let alone a place like Disney.
    +1 it's amazing how careless some people in this country are..Disney though should make adjustments to this, however small to attempt to keep the parks & grounds cleaner than they are...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    +1 it's amazing how careless some people in this country are..Disney though should make adjustments to this, however small to attempt to keep the parks & grounds cleaner than they are...
    Wasn't there a joke about people putting pennies in a grate in the Transformers queue?

• Mouseketeer

I think all the problems still mostly stem from the lack of upkeep by Disney. People treat things differently when they're new and shiny. Fading paint, rusty fixtures, cracked pavement, and the like all add up subconsciously. If things are a little run down anyways, people don't worry so much about their own impact.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• Metro-Retro Historian

The old philosophy was to keep the place so clean that people would be embarrassed to throw anything on the ground. When the park stopped caring about keeping themselves clean, so did the guests.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by deathcomesarippin View Post
    I think with Disney not caring enough about its parks, the guest stop caring so much too. And it makes a vicious cycle. But yes your right both guests and Disney need to start caring more!
    More than a few years ago I attended the air show in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, which attracts about 800,000 people. I noticed that despite being around over a hundred thousand snacking individuals that day, I didn't see one piece of litter anywhere.

I just Googled "Oshkosh air show litter" and came across this from a website:

"Littering:
    It simply is not done at OSH. Wisconsin is known for being aggressively neat. Littering is, I think, a capital crime. Bastinado is too good for those jerks who throw things on the ground at AirVenture, keelhauling the violator at the seaplane base is probably the way to go. If you see a piece of trash on the ground, pick it up and put it in one of the nearby trash containers. Walking past litter is considered a breach of etiquette nearly as serious as dropping the stuff in the first place."

There's no place like home. On Wisconsin!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast