Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• former CM

George K at WDW vs. Michael C at D Land Resort LEADER SCORECARD

So who will be the better resort leader from 2013-2015,
    George Kalogridis at Walt Disney World
    or Michael Cowglazier at the Disneyland Resort?

George has an advantage in that he's taking over a stagnant mess that's just waiting to be improved,
    while Michael has a tough act to follow, inheriting a healthy resort from George.

Here are checklists of things they might improve that we can look over next year or three to see how they're doing.

Please add your own suggestions of things for them to work on.
    And predict, whom do you think will be more successful, George or Michael?

George K. at Walt Disney World:
    1. Employee relations, your weakness at Disneyland?
    2. The Carousel of Progress—has this classic attraction received the restoration and updated final room it deserves?
    3. The Yeti—perhaps a lighter version that actually moves
    4. Implementing Thomas Stagg’s familycuffs, I mean magicbands. Good luck with the $800,000,000 pet project of your current and future boss!
    5. The Great Movie Ride
    6. Dinosaur!
    7. Polish the parks, more paint, less garbage, move the Studios’ Mickey hat to the parking lot or the All-Star Movies Parking lot. Always have two hard-working sweepers on Main Street to set a tone of perfect cleanliness.
    8. Transportation Lot’s of opinions. Mine is that three of the big moderate resorts could each be connected to one very nearby theme park, perhaps with small trains.
    And have bike paths with bike bridges all over WDW and make it easy to pick up and drop off bikes at different parks and resorts. This would help WDW seem like a fitness paradise, instead of a place that gets ridiculed on Saturday Night Live as the epicenter of fat America.
    9. Maelstrom
    10. Bring back the Diamond Horseshoe Revue permanently. Include Pecos Bill.

Michael C. at the Disneyland Resort:
    1. Employee relations. Bring back the Christmas party and treat cast members with the love they deserve. And improve their. . .
    2. . . .parking. And parking for guests. Break ground on a new structure.
    3. Peoplemover track. Be bold and take a sledgehammer to it on your first day, then head over to. . .
    4. . . . the rocks blocking Tomorrowland.
    5. Innoventions. Maybe improve it before it can be replaced. I know darkness might make the video games look cooler, but it’s depressing inside. There’s some cool stuff like Asimo and the Peter Pan storytelling. Just brighten it and add more cool stuff.
    6. Still in Tomorrowland. Move the Astro-orbiter away from the entrance to back atop the old Peoplemover building so it goes from blocking a view to providing a great view. (It’ll improve the ride too.)
    7. Make the Matterhorn more comfortable.
    8. Re-do the AP’s pricing to prevent all but the biggest spenders from clogging the parks every weekend. Have deals so folks can visit four or six times a year. They could always buy more of these 4 or 6-visit passes in one year.
    9. Make Disneyland’s 2015 60th anniversary at least half as cool as the 50th was.
    10. Keep the Golden Horseshoe Revue permanently. Re-introduce Pecos Bill.

One might say I’m overemphasizing attractions, but that’s why people go to the parks. If I were writing about two ski resorts, I’d emphasize the quantity and quality of the runs and the snow. I resisted an urge to suggest making Captain Hook a face character because I've already mentioned that too often.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 01-15-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: George K at WDW vs. Michael C at D Land Resort LEADER SCORECARD

interesting list. It will be interesting to see if any of these are taken care of.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

I agree with the AP idea at DL as someone from out of state I would love an AP that would allow me 10 visits to the park a year that I could use at any time in that calendar year.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

George has an advantage in that he's taking over a stagnant mess that's just waiting to be improved,
    while Michael has a tough act to follow, inheriting a healthy resort from George.

I think that may be the problem. when you are low you can only go down to zero, but upto to infinity. When you are high, you have a long way to fall, and it's harder to top yourself.

WDW won't see any difference.

2. The Carousel of Progress—has this classic attraction received the restoration and updated final room it deserves?
    Maybe

Probably, AK needs more, and should get a budget like DCA to fix and expand.

4. Implementing Thomas Stagg’s familycuffs, I mean magicbands. Good luck with the $800,000,000 pet project of your current and future boss!
    This may accelerate the idea of sending it to DLR.

7. Polish the parks, more paint, less garbage, move the Studios’ Mickey hat to the parking lot or the All-Star Movies Parking lot. Always have two hard-working sweepers on Main Street to set a tone of perfect cleanliness.
    I sure hope so.

[/QUOTE]8. Transportation Lot’s of opinions. Mine is that three of the big moderate resorts could each be connected to one very nearby theme park, perhaps with small trains. [QUOTE]A train to the midpoint? Epcot.

And have bike paths with bike bridges all over WDW and make it easy to pick up and drop off bikes at different parks and resorts. This would help WDW seem like a fitness paradise, instead of a place that gets ridiculed on Saturday Night Live as the epicenter of fat America.
    This would be interesting. Very expensive because of the need to build over/underpasses. I don't think many people would partake. Who needs a 5 mile bikeride before a 10 mile walk? And all the stranded bikes as people bus back to their resorts after a long day.

11. Watch as the parks go on thier own. Cut back if they don't make money.

1. Employee relations. Bring back the Christmas party and treat cast members with the love they deserve. And improve their. . .
    I think having George go to WDW may break down the One Disney crap. Maybe having been at DLR will let him know what is wrong at WDW.

Parking gets maxed out at the TTC too. I don't think it will be justified at DLR until Anaheim connects the trains to the parks, and DLR greatly expands capacity.

3. Peoplemover track. Be bold and take a sledgehammer to it on your first day, then head over to. . .
    5. Innoventions. Maybe improve it before it can be replaced. I know darkness might make the video games look cooler, but it’s depressing inside. There’s some cool stuff like Asimo and the Peter Pan storytelling. Just brighten it and add more cool stuff.
    6. Still in Tomorrowland. Move the Astro-orbiter away from the entrance to back atop the old Peoplemover building so it goes from blocking a view to providing a great view. (It’ll improve the ride too.)
    May all happen, but the wheels are likely already in motion.

Not going to change for a long time.

8. Re-do the AP’s pricing to prevent all but the biggest spenders from clogging the parks every weekend. Have deals so folks can visit four or six times a year. They could always buy more of these 4 or 6-visit passes in one year.
    Really?

9. Make Disneyland’s 2015 60th anniversary at least half as cool as the 50th was.
    Dress the Castle up! Probably they do promote anniversaries in WDW, so we may get more in a couple years.

I'm sure the venue has legs, but bringing back anything, maybe not.

11. Keep it clean, maintained and wait until told to expand it.

Most of the things listed are not in the control of the resort presidents. The Operations budgets ie repair and maintenance are but deciding what gets replaced or any new attractions are not under their control. Those things are between Lassitter and Skags and remember Meg is still involved. Things like Christmas parties coming back probably won't happen because DL is now two parks and WDW cast members don't have one. Remember part of meg's job is to make Cm bemefits on both coasts as equal as possible

• Heavy Breather

So who will be the better resort leader from 2013-2015,
    George Kalogridis at Walt Disney World
    or Michael Cowglazier at the Disneyland Resort?

Here are checklists of things they might improve that we can look over next year or three to see how they're doing.

Please add your own suggestions of things for them to work on.
    And predict, whom do you think will be more successful, George or Michael?

5. The Great Movie Ride
    6. Dinosaur!
    8. Transportation Lot’s of opinions. Mine is that three of the big moderate resorts could each be connected to one very nearby theme park, perhaps with small trains.
    9. Maelstrom
    10. Bring back the Diamond Horseshoe Revue permanently. Include Pecos Bill.

One might say I’m overemphasizing attractions, but that’s why people go to the parks. If I were writing about two ski resorts, I’d emphasize the quantity and quality of the runs and the snow. I resisted an urge to suggest making Captain Hook a face character because I've already mentioned that too often.
    You forgot to mention Imagination.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

• former CM

I don't envy George K.'s having to implement the stupid $800,000,000 pet project
    of his current and future boss, Thomas Staggs: MyMagic+.

It wouldn't be stupid if
    it cost $10 million
    and if Disney were spending the other $ on attractions and on beautifying the parks,
    and if didn't reduce guests' ability to be spontaneous while on holiday.

If only that $800,000,000 had gone towards magnificent new attractions. But wait, I take that back because imagining that people are drawn to theme parks for their rides
    is as absurd as imagining that folks go to ski resorts for the mountains and the snow.

And while we're on the subject of ski resorts, do any of them have special, more expensive passes so some skiers can cut in line ahead of other skiers? If not, why not?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 01-22-2013 at 03:02 PM.

• former CM

So when are they crowned?
    Which one will be more present in the parks?
    Which one will be better to cast members?

Stay tuned!

P.S. Hey Floridians, I saw the Golden Horseshoe Revue at Disneyland yesterday and it was awesome! I hope George gets y'all a tribute to the Diamond Horseshoe Revue!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 01-27-2013 at 06:32 PM.

• former CM

Update: Michael C. begins the contest with a slight lead after attending a Micechat event!

• former CM

IT'S ON! George K at WDW vs. Michael C at D Land Resort

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    interesting list. It will be interesting to see if any of these are taken care of.

So any updates?

Are you full-time Floridians seeing George K. around?

Are all the bunnies happy on Splash Mountain?

How's the Magic Kingdom's Carousel of Progress looking in April of 2013?

C'mon,
    give me the secret, fan club!
    Clue me what to do!
    Write every attraction
    meets yer satisfaction
    and I'll be in Florida too!

Long live Louis Prima! And the Sherman Bros.!

Fix the madness of the bogus GAC card users!!! I would say 80 percent or more of the GAC (Guest Assistance Card) holders to Disneyland have no handicap whatsoever. They just know if they ask for one, they get one...not questions asked. For example, I've yet to see one single person holding a GAC card with a wheelchair stamp on it...actually in a wheelchair!
    They clog up the "legitimate" handicap lines, more often than not act as if they're royalty, and let's face it, have no shame or dignity in using a card designed for "real" handicapped persons.
    It's time for Guest Relations to start using stricter guidelines when handing these out. And the new President should be notified that this is happening. I think he would be disgusted.
    Last edited by Susan Hughes; 04-23-2013 at 05:59 AM. Reason: ADDING more info

I don't envy George K.'s having to implement the stupid $800,000,000 pet project
    of his current and future boss, Thomas Staggs: MyMagic+.

It wouldn't be stupid if
    it cost $10 million
    and if Disney were spending the other $ on attractions and on beautifying the parks,
    and if didn't reduce guests' ability to be spontaneous while on holiday.

If only that $800,000,000 had gone towards magnificent new attractions. But wait, I take that back because imagining that people are drawn to theme parks for their rides
    is as absurd as imagining that folks go to ski resorts for the mountains and the snow.

And while we're on the subject of ski resorts, do any of them have special, more expensive passes so some skiers can cut in line ahead of other skiers? If not, why not?
    Its done, money is spent, project is being implemented, and a lot of people like it. Get over it, already. Its their park, their money, their project. Move on to something else to beef about, already...sheesh !

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Hughes View Post
    Fix the madness of the bogus GAC card users!!! I would say 80 percent or more of the GAC (Guest Assistance Card) holders to Disneyland have no handicap whatsoever. They just know if they ask for one, they get one...not questions asked. For example, I've yet to see one single person holding a GAC card with a wheelchair stamp on it...actually in a wheelchair!
    They clog up the "legitimate" handicap lines, more often than not act as if they're royalty, and let's face it, have no shame or dignity in using a card designed for "real" handicapped persons.
    It's time for Guest Relations to start using stricter guidelines when handing these out. And the new President should be notified that this is happening. I think he would be disgusted.
    I agree, it's terrible for people to take advantage and misuse a GAC for any reason. As for being tougher on handing them out, my question is how to decide who gets one? What does an autistic person look like, for instance? How can you tell? And believe me, they don't have "Official Autistic Cards" that they pass out upon diagnosis. As the parent of a child with special needs, I can see the people who really need help getting the shaft if they try to get too tough on people. It's a shame that some people have no conscience regarding this, but it's more important that those who truly need it can have it, than stopping the "bad guys."

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    Its done, money is spent, project is being implemented, and a lot of people like it. Get over it, already. Its their park, their money, their project. Move on to something else to beef about, already...sheesh !
    I won't get over this till 2015 at the earliest.
    I'm already excited about reaching new, never-before-seen levels of obnoxiousness in 2014! I'm just in training now. On a positive note. . .The WWoHP at both American Universal resorts.
    If only we'd (Disney) had spent the money on THAT.

And now back to George K. vs. Michael C.!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-23-2013 at 04:14 PM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    P.S. I'm a stockholder so it's also MY money. And it's my money not to spend at the parks if they don't spend it on cool things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast