• Future Imagineer

NextGen, FP+, and Pandora

With everything coming to light in the recent months, I have been wondering... When they announced Avatar coming to the Parks, the general Disney community reply was a big fat "No!". Since the announcement, it has struggled to get ground on development (or what not) for different reasons, of which I know little about. Was part of the reason the general outcry against the Avatar implementation from Disney fans? Now looking at the FP+ system, and everything that comes with it (the 'classes' of guests that are inevitable), would such an outcry even damper the decision to finish the FP+ project within the next year? 99% of the posts I have read about FP+ are negative, and I hope Disney is getting a clue about it. (I for one am not a fan at all).

The only project I see any light in, or have more support than not, is the NextGen attraction features in the different lines of rides. I do feel they might go overboard eventually, but for now they are alright.

Thoughts?
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney

• Disneyland Original '55

Re: NextGen, FP+, and Pandora

I agree on the avatar program thought that Disney should have waited for a reaction before following through, but they signed a contract and paid money to get avatar land going, they cant just stop production. As for fastpass+, with everything these days becoming paperless and replaced with phones, gadgets and computers this seems a reasonable decision to try and tread new waters in the way they are. It will take time to work out all the of the functions and get it moving but i personally thing the future generations will understand a system like this better than the current fastpass.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

• Senior Minion

I doubt that fan forum reaction to Avatar would influence Disney in the slightest. Marketing considerations (the Avatar franchise has proven itself to have no merchandise potential), cost projections (Cameron is a notorious budget-buster) and conflict between the key players (Disney and Cameron are major my-way-or-the-highway types), yes; fan forum sentiment, no.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-17-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Disney NextGen: Disney unveils "MyMagic+," the centerpiece of its sweeping "Next Generation Experience" technology project - OrlandoSentinel.com

First, I'm not sure if you've seen this article, but I stumbled across it a couple days ago and thought it was quite interesting. I personally don't think that Disney will halt the MyMagic+ program. From a business standpoint, they've put a lot of time and work into developing this very advanced technology, and I'm very impressed with what they've been able to implement with it so far. Based on the article I posted above, I think that the main goal of the company is to increase convenience for park guests. I do agree with you in that it could lead to creating "classes" of guests, but, like any new program, it will hopefully be tweaked to provide the maximum convenience for every type of guest.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I am very open to hearing other thoughts.

• Under that tree again!

Is the fan reaction to Avatarland negative. No it really isn't. Look beyond Disney Fan boards at the general public and you will see is that the vast majority love it.

Is Next Gen bad?. No it's actually really great. Higher themed and funner themed queues is really nice. Better character interaction will be fun too.

Is FP+ bad? Really is shold be is + bad, as this includes the Magic Band, FP, and other things. In total it has high and lows. It's opt in for everbody, and has no distinct classes. It's slowly coming out so hard to judge what it will be like in months, let alone in a year.

They'll do what they have to get out of Avatar........completely (or as cheaply as possible) and refocus their attention on Marvel and Star Wars. They only need to look to Universal for a roadmap to increasing park attendance and revenues. It ain't rocket science........get with the program Disney!

• Metro-Retro Historian

The RFID thing has enormous potential. Someone with a real vision for the property as a whole could use this to completely revolutionize the way guest experience the resort. Replacing tickets with those little bracelets could facilitate a way for Disney to create something truly unique that could not be duplicated anywhere else on earth because nobody else has their own city. They need vision though... so enjoy your fastpasses I guess.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Is the fan reaction to Avatarland negative. No it really isn't. Look beyond Disney Fan boards at the general public and you will see is that the vast majority love it.
    Disney's worry should be that the general public can't name one character from Avatar and has demanded no Avatar merchandise. As a franchise, Avatar was D.O.A. -- it has generated essentially zero ancillary business.

Avatar did big box office because of its novel tech, the incredible eye candy of its world design, and the upcharge for 3D tickets. Fast-forward to today, and the tech is no longer novel. The world design is "been there, seen that." And so far as compelling characters that everyone loves and wants to see again (as in Star Wars), it's a zero.

Bottom line, Avatarland is what a financial executive like Tom Staggs, who is trying his darndest to imitate his ex-boss Eisner's mandate that "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides," thinks people will like.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

They've already sunk millions into this MyMagic nonsense. It'd take a miracle for them to abandon it now.

• Sultan of Swing

I have heard rumors about Avatarland and it seems quite interesting. All though I can't fully elaborate on the rumored rides I can say that it doesn't seem like a disappointment. I believe Disney is creating what they need for the before they start building.
    Always read the fine print.