Going to Disney before applying for the DCP?

My family is talking about taking a trip down to WDW in February if we can swing the money for it and I'm planning on applying for the DCP for the spring 2014 program. So it won't be for a while but if we do go down there they want to take a look around were I'd be staying and things related to the program. Is that possible? Like is there a place, or a Rep that we could all talk to about it,cause apparently all the info online just isn't enough for my parents. -_-'

Oh and i have other question related to the actual program so if some one wouldn't mind, I'd like to talk to someone that's been through the whole thing before. Thanks
    Last edited by MrPan; 01-20-2013 at 07:52 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Going to Disney before applying for the DCP?

So there is no tour you can take. Disney treats you as an adult, so they don't cater to parents.

The college program is incredible, you can drive around to where the housing is and see outside the gates. There is really tight security so you can't get in.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Under that tree again!

What is your parents problem? The housing is basically gate guarded apartments.

When down there I suggest you talk to many CPs, ask them how they like it, about the interviews, and other questions you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    What is your parents problem? The housing is basically gate guarded apartments.

When down there I suggest you talk to many CPs, ask them how they like it, about the interviews, and other questions you may have.
    It's mostly my father, he is super, overly, been sheltered my whole life, protective of me. So I could say there are guards, guarding my front door and he would still worry about me.

Oh, and I am planing on talking to some of the CP's when I'm there. (if I can find any of them) Thanks

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPan View Post
    Oh, and I am planing on talking to some of the CP's when I'm there. (if I can find any of them) Thanks
    You will find plenty, about every other Cast Member you see.

Also look on youtube, for Chatham not Vista Lay.

Those apartments seem like the safest apartments in Orlando. You can drive past them if you like, but I can guarantee that you won't get in. Those apartments are not far from high tourist areas, which are usually safer.

I also recommend that you go and have a chat with CPs who are working. They're everywhere and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to have a chat with you about it. Just about every cast member there is a CP. If you are unsure, look at the hometown printed on the bottom of their name tags. If it's a college instead of a town, they're in the program.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 01-20-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by MrPan View Post
    They're easy to spot. All CP CM's have their college listed on their name tags.

• Characters are my friends

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    They're easy to spot. All CP CM's have their college listed on their name tags.
    Not necessarily. It is possible to get new nametags with the hometown on it (and I know CPs that have those).
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

The CP is a great experience. I did it back in '97 when Vista Way was the only apartments they had. I can't really say what it is like now, but I do know that no one you will meet in the park will be able to tell your parents the kind of information they seem to be seeking.

As for yourself, you are going to Disney! Have fun and enjoy yourself and don't worry excessively about finding CPs and talking to them about how excited you are that you are going to interview for the following Spring. If you begin a conversation with someone who seems chatty and receptive, great. Otherwise remember that they have a job to do and chatting about the DCP is not one of their duties. Just like all people, not all in the CP are super Disney nuts who are uber-excited about working for the Mouse. I only say this because I don't want you to be disappointed by the reception you might get. Working for WDW was one of the best experiences I've had in my life. Even so, you are still working 8-10 hour days, standing up all day, dealing with cranky guests, and (since you're in the CP and living in a dorm-type situation) you are most likely running off of gas fumes because you don't sleep as much as you should. So if a CM doesn't seem super excited to chat with you about it, don't let it affect your excitement for the future.

As for the interview process, remember, you are going to be doing a pretty basic job - food service, custodial, merchandise, or attractions. None of these require huge amounts of expertise. What they are looking for is a great smile and a good personality. They will train you to do the rest. Smile a lot during your interview and be very extroverted (even if you're not or you're nervous). Be willing to do any job they offer (even if you have one you prefer). But the key is SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!

Have a great trip and good luck next year.