Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Closed Account

Re: SpectroMagic, Any word?

Sorry to say, but Pinocchio and Pete's Dragon don't have nearly the staying power of other Disney movies.

There's this thing called Blu Rays. I knew who Pinoc and Elliot were at the tender age of.......6. Thx to the VHS's.....

Quote Originally Posted by jrh1985 View Post
    I get combining MM&Y/CTM and WOC but Fanti????????
    I think they may have meant Fantasmic!

By the poster's description, I would expect a show akin to Disneyland Paris' new fireworks show, which combines those elements.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Sorry to say, but Pinocchio and Pete's Dragon don't have nearly the staying power of other Disney movies.

There's this thing called Blu Rays. I knew who Pinoc and Elliot were at the tender age of.......6. Thx to the VHS's.....
    Oh, we have them. However, Pinocchio and Elliot have a hard time competing against, lets see... Wall-E, Woody, Lightning, Rapunzel, Simba, Ariel, Belle, Doug (Up), Nemo, Merida, Sulley, Remy, Tinker Bell, Mulan, etc.

It's not because I haven't tried to show my 8, 5 and 3 year old kids the more classic movies. They're just not very interested because movies of today are much more fast paced and entertaining to their generation. I loved Pete's Dragon as a boy. I can still sing most of the music. But at times it can be slow and hard to follow for a young child. My kids can barely make it halfway before asking to watch something else.

What I'm saying though is that, with the exception of Tinker Bell, there isn't a single one of the characters above in MSEP. Kids want to see the characters they love and saw on the big screen within their lifetimes (or at least close to them). They don't mind the classics mixed in, but when the newest character in the parade is 35+ years old, it doesn't take a genius to realize that management is either out of touch or too cheap to update. In this case it's both.
    Last edited by aggiemullins; 01-26-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    I think they may have meant Fantasmic!

By the poster's description, I would expect a show akin to Disneyland Paris' new fireworks show, which combines those elements.
    No, I meant Fantillusion. However, Fantillusion was developed by the same people behind Fantasmic!, who sort of condensed the show and put it in parade format so I suppose one could argue that they would be combining Fantasmic! too.
    Perhaps they're thinking of using lighted floats on the moat (a la the Electrical Water Pageant)? That's the only thing I can think of. Though I don't see how this would be possible because of the bridges connecting the Hub to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.
    I'm simply just repeating what I've been hearing backstage for a while now.

It's bad enough trying to get a decent spot to view MSEP, MM&Y and Wishes while still making sure your kids can actually see it and not losing your family to the hoarde in the process. Now we'll have to have a view of the water, too?! Oh Lord, help us... They better start converting all the rooftops to viewing platforms, ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyAMB View Post
    No, I meant Fantillusion. However, Fantillusion was developed by the same people behind Fantasmic!, who sort of condensed the show and put it in parade format so I suppose one could argue that they would be combining Fantasmic! too.
    Perhaps they're thinking of using lighted floats on the moat (a la the Electrical Water Pageant)? That's the only thing I can think of. Though I don't see how this would be possible because of the bridges connecting the Hub to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.
    I'm simply just repeating what I've been hearing backstage for a while now.
    Sorry, my misunderstanding.
    Honestly, I'm not sure either on how they would accomplish this. I can tell that they are trying to cut 3 shows (light parade, projection show, fireworks) into one (your rumored show), possibly to cut costs. Gotta admit, pretty smart business (emphasis on that word) move, because when I visited during Christmas, there was a huge rush to go to another spot in the hub to catch the next show. With the rumored show, guests could theoretically stay in one spot for three condensed shows.

I prefer three seperate shows, however, so I'm skeptical about this project until I see it in action.

• Shubisha

I think the whole "using the moat" thing is just because of Paris' show so now every rumor will include that. Whether or not they install a giant water system, that's another story. They'd probably economize it first.

• Minion

ORDDU: In regard to how popular various Disney movies are in relationship to each other, I'd say it varies. Many of the newer Disney movies actually seem to be a lot less popular than some of the older ones. Take Hercules, Treasure Planet and Emporer's New Groove, for instance. The characters for those haven't been seen at WDW in quite a while.

ORWEN: And the merchandise is lacking for them, too, whereas you can still find a lot of merchandise--along with character meetings and greetings--with the older characters like Peter Pan, Alice, Snow White, etc. Since Pete's Dragon wasn't a very big hit even when it first came out in the late 70's--that's probably not the best example of a movie that doesn't hold up well today.

ORDDU: Pinocchio, on the other hand, is hardly boring and still seems to have a following--although we'll admit it's not quite as strong as it used to be. But, then, all the Disney movies seem to go through cycles where certain one's appeal to a certain generation more so than others.

ORWEN: The point is, nothing is absolute when it comes to the Disney films and characters. Who would have ever thought old Oswald the Lucky Rabbit would ever make a come back? Yet he has. We see his ears being sold right along with Mickey's!!

Was told last night by my DEP driver that the past few weeks they've been trying to incorporate the remaining floats from Spectro into DEP to make DEP a longer parade, but they're not able to get the audio synched up right which means they'd have to dismantle the Spectro floats in order to figure out and solve the issue. He also said that there is (once again) no room in the parade budget for this because they've stopped working on MiSiCi (Terk & Timon have recently been cut, along with a few other minor, inconspicuous changes) and now most of the money is going towards equity for the clowns in New Fantasyland.

Was told last night by my DEP driver that the past few weeks they've been trying to incorporate the remaining floats from Spectro into DEP to make DEP a longer parade, but they're not able to get the audio synched up right which means they'd have to dismantle the Spectro floats in order to figure out and solve the issue. He also said that there is (once again) no room in the parade budget for this because they've stopped working on MiSiCi (Terk & Timon have recently been cut, along with a few other minor, inconspicuous changes) and now most of the money is going towards equity for the clowns in New Fantasyland.
    Interesting post, I don't understand the audio issue through. Can't the MSEP theme go into the floats? Or, were they going for a BIG Parade: playing both MSEP's and Spectro's soundtracks? After MK figures out the problem will they put the floats back together? Combing MSEP and Specrto sounds very interesting! I would love to see MK try if they have the money and the answer!

CLOWNS? I can't believe they are spending money on clowns. Don't they know how many people hate or are scared by clowns?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mmwalker815 View Post
    CLOWNS? I can't believe they are spending money on clowns. Don't they know how many people hate or are scared by clowns?
    Yes, yes they do. That's why they built an entire circus area in the Magic Kingdom.
    -Bill

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

oh my freaking GAWD! They should do a limited time magic summer thing with a few still operating floats from Spectromagic and EMP and mix them and their music. The new parade would blend down into Christmas for an extended run!!!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

most depressing thread in a long time. Here in CA, common rumor is that we'll see EP back later this year or next year. Doesn't sound like this is the case coming from Orlando.

Spectro in shambles is infuriating. It went away gracefully with most things working, correct? What kind of negligence allowed it to sit outside and rot? Purposeful retiring a la burning of the small world float in the 80s? I'd seriously like to know who was in charge of this.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123