Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Flaming Crossing... current status

It sounds like an amazing contrast between DTD in WDW and DTD at Disneyland Resort where it is packed consistently and full of fun and energy. My family was staying at the DL Hotel the days after New Years and my brother-in-law was amazed how crowded DTD was. But then again the positioning of DTD at Disneyland acts both as an entertainment zone and a corridor between the parks and the resorts. It also has both upscale and family-friendly places to eats and great seasonal entertainment that draws heavily from locals as well as tourist.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by KENfromOC View Post
    It sounds like an amazing contrast between DTD in WDW and DTD at Disneyland Resort where it is packed consistently and full of fun and energy. My family was staying at the DL Hotel the days after New Years and my brother-in-law was amazed how crowded DTD was. But then again the positioning of DTD at Disneyland acts both as an entertainment zone and a corridor between the parks and the resorts. It also has both upscale and family-friendly places to eats and great seasonal entertainment that draws heavily from locals as well as tourist.
    Downtown Disney is packed.... It is ALWAYS packed... shoulder to shoulder most evenings.

There are just no where to shop! lol

Flamingo Crossing was supposed to be the Wal-Mart version of DTD on the opposite end of the property. Sadly it never came to fruition.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I don't know what people are talking about when they say DTD at DW is dead. Always packed in the evenings when we're there. I wish they would do more with the closed clubs on PI.

And yes it is my opinion since Disney doesn't feel the need to send me their sales and traffic stats. :-)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylately View Post
    I don't know what people are talking about when they say DTD at DW is dead. Always packed in the evenings when we're there. I wish they would do more with the closed clubs on PI.

And yes it is my opinion since Disney doesn't feel the need to send me their sales and traffic stats. :-)
    Johnny you are correct. As an Orlando local DTD is always packed. There is no shortage of people in that area.

There is a shortage of people willing to fork up the money Disney is asking for to lease a space in DTD

• Banned User

When I looked at the design, it is very much like a outdoor outlet strip mall. The stores and restaurants are widely spaced. It is inconvenient to walk the long distances to each store. Parking is limited to the store fronts, which impacts the number of customers that will visit at any given moment. It will invite congestion along with the lack of parking spaces. The suggested tenant mix is boring. It will not be like Downtown Disney with its emphasis on entertainment, eating, and shopping. Flamingo Crossing will be focused on discount shopping and quick dining. Worse thing is the discount shopping won't have a Target or Walmart where your dollar will go farther. It will be designed to pull more money out of a tourists' wallet with moderate pricing, which is expensive for most people, but who is watching their spending while on vacation? Actually, I will visit the other real outlet stores in Orlando instead of going to this place.

This is a dumb idea. So far, nothing new is proposed. They need to drastically change the concept and the name. They also need to fix Downtown Disney by bringing back some clubs that were still popular.

Yeah being only 10 minutes away from DTD , every night ive been down there its packed. Since im so close I like to visit DTD alot and I wonder how much more Disney could make if they re- opened some of the clubs, I don't see how some of the (non-Disney) shops are holding up! And it seems like Disney is showing it some attention, they have been doing something to the Rain Forrest cafe' for some time now.

It would be so great to live near DTD! I don't know how Disney and the developers are trying to position FC, I doubt they want to compete with DTD. Probably just more opportunities to make money.

And I like what KENfromOC described, that would be excellent to have a park next to DTD!

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylately View Post

Dead in the sense that there's nothing to do. If you're there, say at 10 or 11 looking for nightlife and you've already had your big meal, you're going to come away disappointed. I feel like Downtown Disney is often crowded with people looking for something to do...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Dead in the sense that there's nothing to do. If you're there, say at 10 or 11 looking for nightlife and you've already had your big meal, you're going to come away disappointed. I feel like Downtown Disney is often crowded with people looking for something to do...
    that is accurate

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post

Thats what made us spend the 12$ to get into Jellyrolls this past trip...it's just something to do after 10pm
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I still mourn the loss of Pleasure Island. I miss the spinning dance floor, the fireworks at midnight, and a place where everyone was from everywhere getting drunk together!

a place where everyone was from everywhere getting drunk together!
    At the end of the day, this is what it's really all about. People want to kick back and party at some point.

• Inappropriate

I just looked up on Google Earth where this Flamingo Crossing is located, and holy cow. No wonder no one wants to build anything there. It's not close to anything or on the way to anything! At least DTD is at one of the resort entrances, with hotels right there around it and Typhoon Lagoon across the street. Seems to be a waste of time and space. And I imagine Disney isn't being cheap on their prices.

And as far as DTD goes, I always seem to avoid it at all costs. Last time I went there, all the sit down restaurants were packed with an hour-plus wait, so we just ended up eating at McDonalds and leaving. There needs to be some nightlife there like there used to be. "Crowded with people looking for something to do" nails it on the head.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I just looked up on Google Earth where this Flamingo Crossing is located, and holy cow. No wonder no one wants to build anything there. It's not close to anything or on the way to anything! At least DTD is at one of the resort entrances, with hotels right there around it and Typhoon Lagoon across the street. Seems to be a waste of time and space. And I imagine Disney isn't being cheap on their prices.

And as far as DTD goes, I always seem to avoid it at all costs. Last time I went there, all the sit down restaurants were packed with an hour-plus wait, so we just ended up eating at McDonalds and leaving. There needs to be some nightlife there like there used to be. "Crowded with people looking for something to do" nails it on the head.
    One of the big problems is that the Western Beltway took a long time to plan, and finish. And what they didn't anticipate during that whole planning period, was how popular Universal would become and how the gravity of interest in Central Florida would move away from the Western side of Disney to the Eastern side to be closer to Universal and SeaWorld.

When you look at hotel occupancy trends right now you see that hotels in Kissimmee and on the Western side of WDW have much lower occupancy than hotels East of WDW.

So there is really no one looking to build West of the WDW property right now which compounds the problem.

• Metro-Retro Historian

No wonder nobody wants to set up shop here. Look at the layout for this thing. It's terrible. Every other disney shopping area (and strip malls in general) are built around pedestrian traffic. The website for Flamingo Crossing claims that it is, but when you look at the plan there's the one 7 block area in the northwest that could kind of be pedestrian friendly, though it looks like there would still be cars on the roads, and it's set up like city blocks instead of a strip. How is that geared toward pedestrians? The other two areas aren't worth getting to unless you are unfortunate enough to be staying at one of the hotels over there. To top off this non pedestrian friendly disaster the whole area is bisected by a freaking freeway. A twelve year old with a couple hours of SimCity training under his belt has better sense than this.

If Disney really wants to combine hotels, timeshares, and retail in a pedestrian friendly environment, they should probably start by watching this film again.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast