Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Flaming Crossing... current status

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Dead in the sense that there's nothing to do. If you're there, say at 10 or 11 looking for nightlife and you've already had your big meal, you're going to come away disappointed. I feel like Downtown Disney is often crowded with people looking for something to do...
    Well, they got Splitsville now. Even if you don't bowl, you can go in and hang out. There's plenty of areas in there to have a bite to eat or have a couple drinks. I understand they have pool tables in there as well that are free to use. And Splitsville is open until 2am, so that's something to do after 10pm.

That being said, Splitsville does NOT take the place of Pleasure Island. That was a REALLY stupid move of Disney to close the clubs. They say people want more shopping & dining, announce Hyperion Wharf then quietly toss that project and the clubs that still exist still stay shuttered. I wonder how much it would cost to reopen Mannequins, 8-Trax, Comedy Warehouse and that other club (was originally the Neon Armadillo, then something else). I heard Adventurer's club has been gutted, so that would take a bit more to bring back.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Well, they got Splitsville now. Even if you don't bowl, you can go in and hang out. There's plenty of areas in there to have a bite to eat or have a couple drinks. I understand they have pool tables in there as well that are free to use. And Splitsville is open until 2am, so that's something to do after 10pm.

That being said, Splitsville does NOT take the place of Pleasure Island. That was a REALLY stupid move of Disney to close the clubs. They say people want more shopping & dining, announce Hyperion Wharf then quietly toss that project and the clubs that still exist still stay shuttered. I wonder how much it would cost to reopen Mannequins, 8-Trax, Comedy Warehouse and that other club (was originally the Neon Armadillo, then something else). I heard Adventurer's club has been gutted, so that would take a bit more to bring back.
    Unfortunately, although the clubs did seem fun and i agree after hours entertainment does have a place in disney I understand why disney chose to go in a different direction with pleasure island. the place was beginning to attract an unsavory local clientele to some degree and that is not the image disney wishes to project. however when they made that decision to change direction they should have had a new plan already in place and begun construction on it immediately. i was not a huge fan of the Hyperion warf idea either as it was too far on the other end of the spectrum, too kid oriented and still left little to do after 10. In my opinion disney should bridge the gap between the two extremes like they have with the inclusion of splitsville as a perfect example. this new area needs to be filled with venues that are family friendly and accessible to all age groups during the day yet at night at a certain time or possibly after a short closing period for set-up time, can transform into fun exciting adult-oriented experiences that attract the right kind of nightlife and offer a good time for people of the appropriate age. why is this such an unattainable goal that we must just have one or the other?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Unfortunately, although the clubs did seem fun and i agree after hours entertainment does have a place in disney I understand why disney chose to go in a different direction with pleasure island. the place was beginning to attract an unsavory local clientele to some degree and that is not the image disney wishes to project. however when they made that decision to change direction they should have had a new plan already in place and begun construction on it immediately. i was not a huge fan of the Hyperion warf idea either as it was too far on the other end of the spectrum, too kid oriented and still left little to do after 10. In my opinion disney should bridge the gap between the two extremes like they have with the inclusion of splitsville as a perfect example. this new area needs to be filled with venues that are family friendly and accessible to all age groups during the day yet at night at a certain time or possibly after a short closing period for set-up time, can transform into fun exciting adult-oriented experiences that attract the right kind of nightlife and offer a good time for people of the appropriate age. why is this such an unattainable goal that we must just have one or the other?
    This is the BIGGEST FAN CREATED MISCONCEPTION. IT IS NOT TRUE.

Disney was going to let 3rd Party club companies come in and redevelop Pleasure Island.

Disney was talking to PURE entertainment from Las Vegas and Miami to come in and redevelop 8Traxx and Mannequins.

There were other large club companies involved too, however the economy crashed, PURE got hit with a large tax and fraud lawsuit, everyone pulled out, and Disney was left with a half hatched concept, (once they removed the turnstiles) and decided to at that point close the clubs.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    This is the BIGGEST FAN CREATED MISCONCEPTION. IT IS NOT TRUE.

Disney was going to let 3rd Party club companies come in and redevelop Pleasure Island.

Disney was talking to PURE entertainment from Las Vegas and Miami to come in and redevelop 8Traxx and Mannequins.

There were other large club companies involved too, however the economy crashed, PURE got hit with a large tax and fraud lawsuit, everyone pulled out, and Disney was left with a half hatched concept, (once they removed the turnstiles) and decided to at that point close the clubs.
    "go in a different direction" can mean numerous things, all i meant it was in the sense of bringing in a new experience. its like you see on bar rescue, that show from spike, you make changes to the venue and offer a slightly different take on what was there before and you hopefully attract a new vibrant 'popular' clientele, removing the stereotypes of the place that were previously there and getting rid of the people you didn't want around the establishment in the process. So yes i already knew that was their original intent, however they should have been able to scrape together a decent "plan B" in less time then this.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    "go in a different direction" can mean numerous things, all i meant it was in the sense of bringing in a new experience. its like you see on bar rescue, that show from spike, you make changes to the venue and offer a slightly different take on what was there before and you hopefully attract a new vibrant 'popular' clientele, removing the stereotypes of the place that were previously there and getting rid of the people you didn't want around the establishment in the process. So yes i already knew that was their original intent, however they should have been able to scrape together a decent "plan B" in less time then this.
    I agree they should have had a plan B. The whole long sorted story of what happened to Pleasure Island really is a sad story. Someday I will write up the whole depressing story, that started with a bold vision, and ended with closed and demolished buildings with planters in front of them, and statue mimes entertaining guests.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I agree they should have had a plan B. The whole long sorted story of what happened to Pleasure Island really is a sad story. Someday I will write up the whole depressing story, that started with a bold vision, and ended with closed and demolished buildings with planters in front of them, and statue mimes entertaining guests.

Im interested in hearing the story but to stick with the subject, where is this abandoned Disney project, I think I need to make a drive out there. Looks cool for taking pictures.

• Metro-Retro Historian

The saddest part of the story is the part before Pleasure Island when they were thinking about turning that area into New Orleans Square. Now that would have been amazing. Nature had already done half the work for them, given that the place was a swamp to begin with.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Banned User

The biggest problems with the nightclubs at Pleasure Island was their size and theme. They are largely a collection of boutique clubs separated by a central plaza. They used outdated themes like disco 70s, etc. Some have dancing venues without a nearby bar. You have to walk to one club to get a decent drink. Then go to your preferred club for the atmosphere that you're seeking. Some clubs were full, but many were empty. The full clubs barely had any room for dancing. The other clubs are playing out of date music.

As much as I dislike the Adventurer's Club, this is one club that didn't seem empty. The problem was the inconsistent shows. You have to wait around a long long time for the show to start, and then you can miss it if you're standing in the wrong place. They don't have good wait service. They don't seem to feature food service for a place that isn't a dance club.

It would have taken a lot of money to fix, but this is the nature of nightclubbing. It costs hundreds of thousands to create a reputable nightclub with the seating, the lighting, and the general decor. The labor, food, and drink costs are exorbitant.

I would prefer they demolish all the small clubs and create a large, multi-level arena. There could be many smaller dance floors for those that prefer different musical styles, but the music will rotate on different nights. The main floor will feature the same popular music. On select nights, they will have shows with live bands on their main stage and floor.

For the Adventurer's Club, they should create a separate building that will also house a Comedy Club. It will be two clubs in one. Each will feed off their energies with performances that will overlap. Of course, there will be a stage that will be separate from the Adventurer's Club. It will feature headliners that come into town. I love improv and this should be part of the show schedule.

The last part of the equation is a good food, bar, arcade combination building. "Dave and Busters" is the inspiration, but there are many others that combine a bowling alley like "Splittsville". I don't know if it already exists in DTD. Having a good night out in DTD doesn't always involves dancing as it should be fun plus dancing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123