• Minion

Disney's Hollywood Studios

It's no secret that Disney's Hollywood Studios isn't exactly the Mouse's most loved park. It's got the lowest attendance of all four WDW parks. It was opened quickly, cheaply, and with little to do. And most of all, it receives a lot of hate on this board...a lot. That being said, it may come as a surprise that when I received, as a gift, two one-day one-park Disney tickets, I chose to spend the day at DHS.

Now, I have many means of getting into the park so it's not a huge deal when I come into contact with some tickets. And even though the fact that they weren't parkhoppers definitely was a bummer, it really wasn't a big deal because I know I'll be getting in again soon for free. But of course, no trip to Disney should be taken for granted so I spent quite a bit of thought deciding where to spend my day. And Hollywood Studios was my choice.

But here's the real surprise...I loved it. I really had a great time, and so did my guest. And I had to share my feelings about it on this board because this is where I see it get the most flack. First off, I want to address the half-day park concern...not at all. Granted, the Sunday on MLK weekend drew some crowds, but I was never bored once from about 10 to 7 (the park's official hours were 9 to 8 but we really could've stayed later if the crowds weren't so heavy). After getting Fps for Toy Story, we rode the Great Movie Ride, the best Disney dark ride IMO to date. The sets are so incredibly elaborate and the concept (live narrators with hijackings and interactions with AA's) is always astounding to me, and I always find new details or something to marvel at. After an early lunch at Sci-Fi Drive-In (great concept for a restaurant with good food), we headed over to Tower of Terror (one of the world's best thrill rides; stellar theming, solid storyline, great atmosphere, and best of all, super fun ride). After riding Star Tours (a ride well-deserving of its praise), we headed over to the Backlot Tour, where I was a little nervous about spending 45 minutes after hearing sub-par reviews...however the ride really wasn't bad I thought. It was interesting, if not just to see the backstage areas of the park. And I think Catastrophe Canyon is pretty underrated, as is the look inside the wardrobe room, and the vehicle props. We also saw Lights, Motors, Action, which blew me away. Wow, the stunts were just incredible and there were honest to God a few places where I gasped--the stunts were pretty friggen cool!

Then we went on a riding spree using the Fps we had collected through the day, hitting Toy Story, Rock n Roller Coaster, and Tower of Terror back to back to back. Again, these are all just great attractions. By then, we got some ice cream and it was about 6:45...I didn't want to leave but the lines weren't letting up. Still, I could've seen myself spending lots more time there, and the day went by super fast. Even without any lines, I would love to have gone on Tower of Terror at least five more times, and maybe Rock n Roller Coaster a few times too. Oh, and Star Tours because I've never seen the Death Star sequence which is really bugging me lol. Not to mention that I would've really liked to see MuppetVision 3-D, and wouldn't have minded taking a peek in the Walt Disney exhibit, the Art of Animation pavilion, or Indy (though I generally agree that that one's outdated).

Anyway, I really wanted to come out and say that for a park-hopper lover like me, my attention span was easily satisfied by a full day at DHS, commonly known as a half-day park. And I realllllly think that The Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour, and especially Lights Motors Action are severely underrated attractions undeserving of the flack they receive. Considering all the shows and overall length of each attraction you can easily spend a full day here and have a blast doing so. Also, please don't add Cars Land. I know the place is a sort of jumbled mess thematically but it works as it is...adding a big desert themed to Arizona would really make things worse I think...it just doesn't fit. If you really need Cars, put an attraction in Pixar Place.

Well, that's my review. Thought I'd get some positivity out there and show the underdog some love.

• Minion

Re: Disney's Hollywood Studios

I love DHS! I think it's a great park! If you do all the shows and all the attractions it's truly an all day park, IMO. I do think this park could benefit from some new ride attractions, but overall, it's one of my favorites and must dos at the resort!
    Jeff Wayne

Great to hear that you had a great time, good to hear something possitive about the park , too. When you go through the T OF T, is there a place where someone can leave after going through the que, instead of going on the ride? I havent been to DHS in years, and will have a friend that cant go on this type of ride, but the rest of us can.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    Great to hear that you had a great time, good to hear something possitive about the park , too. When you go through the T OF T, is there a place where someone can leave after going through the que, instead of going on the ride? I havent been to DHS in years, and will have a friend that cant go on this type of ride, but the rest of us can.
    Yes, I think what they do is just take the non-riding member down a cast member hallway that ends at the ride's exit (it's a short walk). I don't know why I feel like I've been down this way before because I've always ridden, but I'm almost positive this is what they do. In any case, I know they won't force you to ride...everyone can enjoy the queue

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I love DHS! I think it's a great park! If you do all the shows and all the attractions it's truly an all day park, IMO. I do think this park could benefit from some new ride attractions, but overall, it's one of my favorites and must dos at the resort!
    Good to see some DHS love!!!

• Under that tree again!

I don't dislike DHS, just find it to be the weaker of the 4 parks.

I don't think half day park, is an accurate desription or literal phrase of any of the Disney Parks, more or a put down.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I don't dislike DHS, just find it to be the weaker of the 4 parks.

I don't think half day park, is an accurate desription or literal phrase of any of the Disney Parks, more or a put down.
    True, but I think I really could not have spent more than about four hours at Animal Kingdom, because I don't really like passively watching animals for a full day. I also ruled out Epcot because as in-depth as each country is, the pavilions have gone massively downhill and the only things I could see myself doing there would be Test Track, SE, maybe Mission Space, The Seas and The Land, and maybe a nice dinner in the least crowded country...again, not enough to satisfy a full day. And Magic Kingdom is just so 70's lol.

Though I can see where The Studios has issues, I really enjoyed it and don't think I could've had a better day elsewhere without parkhopping.

• Team Hail HYDRA

NEEDS a DCA type redue

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    NEEDS a DCA type redue
    Though some updates, refurbishments, and additions wouldn't hurt, I definitely don't think that plopping in Cars Land would make everything better...it would need a complete rehaul if they're going to take it in the direction DCA went, which would be super expensive, and based on my last trip maybe un-needed.

• former CM

TylerDurden, THANKS for the trip report!
    I like to catch enthusiasm from fellow Micechatters who love different Disney parks.
    We'll emulate your lunching at the Sc-Fi Cafe and Fastpassing ToyStory Mania,
    which we can't do at DCA.

I love DAK's animals, hearing African drummers,
    and the Festival Lion King Show (Is that still going on in the AK?),
    and I've always had nice days at the Animal Kingdom. And I like to keep that theme going with dinner at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    NEEDS a DCA type redue
    DCA got the large do-over, because it had a major problem attracting the crowds it hoped it would. Where as all the WDW parks got large crowds from the get go and ever since, not a near decade of let downs.

I think each park needs more in WDW, they don't measure up to their West Coast counter parts. What I would like to see is major expansion and some remodels of each park.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    True, but I think I really could not have spent more than about four hours at Animal Kingdom, because I don't really like passively watching animals for a full day. I also ruled out Epcot because as in-depth as each country is, the pavilions have gone massively downhill and the only things I could see myself doing there would be Test Track, SE, maybe Mission Space, The Seas and The Land, and maybe a nice dinner in the least crowded country...again, not enough to satisfy a full day. And Magic Kingdom is just so 70's lol.

Though I can see where The Studios has issues, I really enjoyed it and don't think I could've had a better day elsewhere without parkhopping.
    My own thing is that I've never been a local getting super familiar with any of the WDW Parks and resorts. I enjoy spending lots of time on not just the rides, but the shows and looking at the themeing. In DLR, I enjoy the rides and entertainment but know the knooks and crannies.

Though as I though of this I tried to estimate my number of visits. I may be closing in on half of a year, 180 days spent in WDW parks. With more at DLR, I've spent a good part of my life at Disney.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    TylerDurden, THANKS for the trip report!
    I like to catch enthusiasm from fellow Micechatters who love different Disney parks.
    We'll emulate your lunching at the Sc-Fi Cafe and Fastpassing ToyStory Mania,
    which we can't do at DCA.

I love DAK's animals, hearing African drummers,
    and the Festival Lion King Show (Is that still going on in the AK?),
    and I've always had nice days at the Animal Kingdom. And I like to keep that theme going with dinner at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.
    Anytime! I think WDW isn't even close to deserving a lot of the criticism it gets and while it does have it's issues, I think it's cool when people give it some praise every now and then too.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Compared to its European counterpart the Walt Disney Studios. Disney's Hollywood Studios has a great deal of things going for it. So thanks for bringing attention to it. While DHS is the weakest Park at WDW. It doesn't make it a truly bad park. For most people it's Tower of Terror stands out as the suppior version with its 5th Dimension Room. The great movie ride is totally unique and stands out as my favourite attraction in that particular Park. I also think the stunt shows are good and Star Tours, Toy Story Mania and Rock n Roller Coaster. And of course Fantasmic even if its not the Disneyland version is still worth seeing. And it has one of the best in park table service restaurants the Brown Derby. And since my last trip in 2008 has added a couple of new experiences American Idol and the Captain Jack experience.