Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Mostly Harmless.

Re: Bringing back the original Journey into Imagination and Horizons

Not trying to be a jerk or a troll here but there are only two possibilities that I see.
    1. TDO actually gutting the place and installing a new Journey with the spirit of the original. Perhaps with the trackless ride system.
    2. A hurricane coming along and wiping out the building, thus forcing TDO to do the above action.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk or a troll here but there are only two possibilities that I see.
    1. TDO actually gutting the place and installing a new Journey with the spirit of the original. Perhaps with the trackless ride system.
    2. A hurricane coming along and wiping out the building, thus forcing TDO to do the above action.
    Well that is a nice idea. However what I meant was The original version remade with the trackless system,etc. id like it to have the original soundtrack and story. I'd just like the original remade with modern technology basically

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DreamfinderFigment View Post
    Well that is a nice idea. However what I meant was The original version remade with the trackless system,etc. id like it to have the original soundtrack and story. I'd just like the original remade with modern technology basically
    we understand what were saying, were just saying it wont happen. why would you be so opposed to a new ride with a concept thats in the spirit of the original?

• Metro-Retro Historian

EPCOT Center was Imagineering at its absolute best. The only thing that even comes close to that level of thematic perfection is Tomorrowland '67. Even still, when the old New Tomorrowland was built Audio-Animatronics were still relatively new, especially on a human size scale. By the time EPCOT center rolled around the technology had caught up to the art and the folks over at WED produced some of the greatest attractions ever created. This of course includes Horizons, which is the very best theme park attraction ever created. Imagination was good too, but I always felt that it sort of falls apart at the end.

These attractions both deserved to become classics. The only reason they didn't is that The Walt Disney Company doesn't care about any of the great artists that worked there that aren't named Walt Disney. I also think this is why Disneyland has its nostalgia bubble while the other parks are often seen as not Walt's park so they can do whatever they want.

Yes Horizons would have needed upgrades, but so does every ride. If you look at video of Florida's Haunted Mansion from a decade ago, you would barely recognize the place. In the way that the mansion has become the playground for all ideas spooky, Horizons could have been the place the sci-fi nerds over at Imagineering are constantly trying to put their thumb print on. I for one would much rather be writing about how the new version of Horizons ruins everything the ride stands for than what I'm writing about now. What am I writing about now?

Oh yeah, so these old Future World rides were really really really good. Sadly the hip and edgy crew killed half of them and mortally wounded the other half. I doubt that we'll ever see a new dark ride on this epic scale again. Nobody wants to pay to build and maintain them.

The thing I don't get is that I see a lot of Horizons and Imagination fans, but why does the World of Motion get no love? It's every bit as good as the others. It has some of the funniest gags ever in a ride, a really cool model near the end, and a neat pepper's ghost finale like The Haunted Mansion. Plus, Ward Kimball, what's not to like?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    EPCOT Center was Imagineering at its absolute best. The only thing that even comes close to that level of thematic perfection is Tomorrowland '67.
    You obviously have not been to Tokyo DisneySea, have you?

But in regards to "Journey into Imagination" and "Horizons", those attractions are simply a metaphor for the current state of Disney Imagineering versus the resorts' Management styles and priorities. They all take a journey into imagination trying to come up with wonderful ideas of how the Disney parks/resorts should be, but what we end up getting in the horizons is a drastically short changed or down scaled version of things.., that is if they ever see the light past the drawing boards. The fact that "Horizons" was closed is a further metaphor that Disney management has no visions of the future except maybe for making money the cheapest possible ways. It took me a visit to Tokyo Disney to realize how badly cheated we are when we visit Disney World.

• formerly very helpful

Dapper Dan, while Horizons is my personal, all-time favorite attraction EVER, I do agree that World of Motion was an absolute gem of an attraction. Fantastic ride and I do miss it very much.

• Just drawn that way

Wow, I almost forgot about World of Motion. I used to get those two mixed up all the time.

I am just glad Spaceship Earth is still around.

I'd be happy to see these lost treasures at any Disney theme park, not just Epcot.
    Thank for for the many fan pages and videos that keep these attractions alive.
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The thing I don't get is that I see a lot of Horizons and Imagination fans, but why does the World of Motion get no love? It's every bit as good as the others. It has some of the funniest gags ever in a ride, a really cool model near the end, and a neat pepper's ghost finale like The Haunted Mansion. Plus, Ward Kimball, what's not to like?
    I think Horizons and Imagination were a lot more emotionally engaging and they had some fun and memorable characters and some pretty fantastic musical scores. Though I can only speak of the Epcot rides of old from a third person perspective of someone that's only seen them in video form, World of Motion also seems to have some wonky pacing compared to Imagination and Horizons. It's an interesting idea translating the "Ward Kimball Educational Film" genre into a dark ride format, but there's something that feels missing I can't entirely put my finger on.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    we understand what were saying, were just saying it wont happen. why would you be so opposed to a new ride with a concept thats in the spirit of the original?
    Goofy Donald this is not the thread where you post your nonsense, you saw what dremfinderfigment posted, he said this thread is only for those who want the original JII and Horizons back. Don't you dare reply on this thread and post any more of your garbage like you have been posting on all the other bring back the original JII threads. Admit it goofy donald, you love that current version of JII and you don't want it gone.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by edward1978 View Post
    Goofy Donald this is not the thread where you post your nonsense, you saw what dremfinderfigment posted, he said this thread is only for those who want the original JII and Horizons back. Don't you dare reply on this thread and post any more of your garbage like you have been posting on all the other bring back the original JII threads. Admit it goofy donald, you love that current version of JII and you don't want it gone.
    Umm im sorry what? besides the fact what your saying is totally rude and uncalled for do i not have the right to my own opinion? I'm merely being realistic and if you had been reading my comments as you insist you have then you would know that no i am not a fan of the current addition but merely would prefer a new ride with a concept in the spirit of the original ride. is that too much to ask for without being attacked?

• Just drawn that way

Oh well, lets not bicker. Let's just talk about our love for these long lost goodies.
    I really think you can put Journey into Imagination at The Studio's at WDW or Paris or at DCA in the Hollywood land.
    Not sure where Horizon's could go any suggestions?
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Umm im sorry what? besides the fact what your saying is totally rude and uncalled for do i not have the right to my own opinion? I'm merely being realistic and if you had been reading my comments as you insist you have then you would know that no i am not a fan of the current addition but merely would prefer a new ride with a concept in the spirit of the original ride. is that too much to ask for without being attacked?
    I wasn't trying to be rude, I trying to tell you that your viewpoint about a return of the original JII won't happen is garbage. I agree that you are entitled to your own opinion, but dreamfinderfigment clearly posted that this thread is only for those who want the original JII and Horizons back.

First of all Goofy Donald, did you ever ride the original JII and played in the upstairs ImageWorks in the 15 years that it was open, i did back in 1988. The reason why I want the original JII and Horizons back is because I feel so sorry for the people that was not as fortunate as I was having to settle for riding the terrible 2nd and current versions, as dreamfinderfigment stated he only seen the original JII by watching YouTube videos of it, and he said that he would do anything to get to ride the original, and I don't blame him. Why does he have to settle for riding the terrible current version, when I got to ride the original? Why do you want a JII that is in spirit of the original, when you me and all of us can have the original, no questions asked?

The reason why your statement that the return of the original JII won't happen is absoultely baseless is because as Dapper Dan posted, technology has been far more advanced here in 2013 than it was in 1983. A new turntable which wasn't even a turntable to begin with can be installed that uses much less material, and is a lot easier to install than the original 1983 turntable, it will have sensors on them instead of latching on like the original did, LED screens can be installed in the science and technology, the finale with the figments tap dancing, weightlifting and such, and Dreamfinder taking the pictures of the riders in the ride vehicles. Same can be said with the part of the track that was covered in concrete, just get out the jackhammers and break that crap off, if the original ride track gets damaged, no biggie just put in new track. Same can be done with the original upstairs Imageworks only thing that probably won't need to be touched is the rainbow tunnel and the pin tables, this can all be done, no pavilion demolition of any kind required.

So there you have it Goofy Donald, why don't we just forget this whole arguement about having a version style to the original when the original can be brought back.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by edward1978 View Post
    I wasn't trying to be rude, I trying to tell you that your viewpoint about a return of the original JII won't happen is garbage. I agree that you are entitled to your own opinion, but dreamfinderfigment clearly posted that this thread is only for those who want the original JII and Horizons back.

First of all Goofy Donald, did you ever ride the original JII and played in the upstairs ImageWorks in the 15 years that it was open, i did back in 1988. The reason why I want the original JII and Horizons back is because I feel so sorry for the people that was not as fortunate as I was having to settle for riding the terrible 2nd and current versions, as dreamfinderfigment stated he only seen the original JII by watching YouTube videos of it, and he said that he would do anything to get to ride the original, and I don't blame him. Why does he have to settle for riding the terrible current version, when I got to ride the original? Why do you want a JII that is in spirit of the original, when you me and all of us can have the original, no questions asked?

The reason why your statement that the return of the original JII won't happen is absoultely baseless is because as Dapper Dan posted, technology has been far more advanced here in 2013 than it was in 1983. A new turntable which wasn't even a turntable to begin with can be installed that uses much less material, and is a lot easier to install than the original 1983 turntable, it will have sensors on them instead of latching on like the original did, LED screens can be installed in the science and technology, the finale with the figments tap dancing, weightlifting and such, and Dreamfinder taking the pictures of the riders in the ride vehicles. Same can be said with the part of the track that was covered in concrete, just get out the jackhammers and break that crap off, if the original ride track gets damaged, no biggie just put in new track. Same can be done with the original upstairs Imageworks only thing that probably won't need to be touched is the rainbow tunnel and the pin tables, this can all be done, no pavilion demolition of any kind required.

So there you have it Goofy Donald, why don't we just forget this whole arguement about having a version style to the original when the original can be brought back.
    Well it was unfortunately and totally uncalled for at that so we will have to move on from there. last time i checked threads were created for ALL to post their opinions on and you have no right to police or bully people from posting their own views on a subject.

Yes i did ride the original several times before it closed in 1998 as a child and it is because i loved it so much that i would want the new attraction that comes in to be reminiscent of and keeping the spirit of the original attraction. why must dreamfinder and figment be condemned to the same 80's attraction for all of history? are you saying Disney is incapable now of making the attraction any better then it was in 1983? if so thats a pretty closed minded viewpoint in my opinion. on top of the fact that it is near impossible to bring back the original in its original form (which ill delve into later) why not bring in something new? imagine a trackless ride system and new adventures to go on with new amazing technology and better more realistic versions of Dreamfinder and Figment, who knows maybe it could be even better then the original ever was, there is certainly the potential out there for it to be. So i just don't see why there is so much hostility behind this concept, change can be a good thing if done right, the problem is they just didn't do things right the last few times.

As for why it isn't feasible to bring the attraction back, if you read the posts again like you adamantly suggest you did dan and i were in discussion about those points and while we went back and forth on several key issues and dan did make a valiant attempt offering many good solutions you would need to demolish close to a third of the building and rebuild it while at the same time hoping not to cause structural failure that would bring the whole pavilion down. to do that for the sole purpose of bringing back an attraction from the 1980's in its original form doesn't make any fiscal or logical sense from disney's standpoint and does not guarantee any long term success outside of this small dedicated fan following. this makes this a very unrealistic proposal at best, i could delve into all the details in more depth but that would be a waste of time at this point. it comes down to this conclusion, they have the capability and resources to make something quite possibly better then the original attraction for quite a bit less money why not even discuss going down that path? and by the way hopefully you do not conduct yourself like you did previously in the future.

• Inappropriate

I can agree with half of this. JII should have something done, even though I really like the current ride. But I'm more in the favor of upgrading it into the spirit of the original ride, with new technology and everything. Kick Sir Robin out and bring back Dreamfinder. But I would really really like to see the trackless ride system implemented state-side, and JII is the perfect fit for it.

Horizons, on the other hand, no. I love me some Mission: Space. HOWEVER, Disneyland has an abomination of an attraction called Innoventions. I would love to see that gone and a new Horizons put in its place. It would be perfect, since Horizons was an unofficial sequel to Carousel of Progress, and it would be sitting on the same site as the original Carousel.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I can agree with half of this. JII should have something done, even though I really like the current ride. But I'm more in the favor of upgrading it into the spirit of the original ride, with new technology and everything. Kick Sir Robin out and bring back Dreamfinder. But I would really really like to see the trackless ride system implemented state-side, and JII is the perfect fit for it.
    yay! Monty Python reference! +1
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast