• Former Cast Member

England pavillion in epcot center...........

I have always wonder about this regarding the England Pavillion. Why do they not have a re - creation of the Changing of the Guards Ceremony at this pavillion. I have always thought that this would be a great addition to the pavillion, especially since Disney wants to expose the cultures of the countries to all visitors. Even if it is a scaled down version, that would be awesome. It would be a great picture spot as well, with guests trying to make the guards laugh as they are standing thier post. Back in 1980, I worked at the Queen Mary attraction in Long Beach, CA and was a foot guard, in which we recreated this ceremony for all the tourists that vistied the ship. We did an hourly changing of the guard and I remember having to stand 1 hour guard duty shifts as throngs of visitors would have their pictures taken with me and try to make me laugh. Best summer job I had while going through college.

• former CM

Re: England pavillion in epcot center...........

I used to live within walking distance (a long walk) from Buckingham Palace, and I thought the Changing of the Guard was the most boring thing in London. All the horses were kind of impressive, but of course this would have to be scaled back. It'd also be hard to get the horses in areas where people walk.

A funny, straight faced guard could be funny though, especially if his replacement arrived as if he worked part-time at the Institute of Funny Walks.
    Or maybe have two guards replace two guards who all do it straight with some comedy mixed in.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 01-23-2013 at 06:30 PM.

• Former Cast Member

it can be down w/o the horses. we did and still look good. There is a lot of people, me included, who will probably never make it to England to witness that spectacle, so a scaled down version would be a good fit to expose the British culture and pomp and circumstance to the viewing guests.

• Former Epcot CM

Gasp! Please, it's the United Kingdom. The Scottish, Welsh and Irish get very irate when people refer to it as the England pavilion.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Gasp! Please, it's the United Kingdom. The Scottish, Welsh and Irish get very irate when people refer to it as the England pavilion.
    Always a fine time to dust off this little chestnut:

Name:  epcot map.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  220.5 KB

Turn your favorite Disney CM into your NEW favorite collectible souvenir!
    Fully customizable hair & eye color, gender and even your name on the nametag!

Contact Createamations for details, and don't forget to visit us on Facebook for more!

• Banned User

I still remember the name of a shop CM I met in the UK Pavilion when I visited WDW in 1994. Her name was Sarah, and we had a somewhat lengthy chat (maybe 10 or 15 minutes, really) about a lot of things, as my companions were exploring the shop. She was from the UK herself, and I found her absolutely enchanting. I still melt when I remember the way she said "snooker" (the billiard game). Her accent was very much like Kate Winslet's (if that helps; I don't know the name of the accent). I've never remembered any other CM's names before, even CMs I used to work with when I worked on Main Street at Disneyland. Just her. My goodness, she was so adorable.

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by createamations View Post
    Always a fine time to dust off this little chestnut:

Name:  epcot map.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  220.5 KB
    I like it. You need to add an Odessey label to that map. "good bathrooms" I'm thinking.

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by PLAZAINN1 View Post
    I have always wonder about this regarding the England Pavillion. Why do they not have a re - creation of the Changing of the Guards Ceremony at this pavillion. I have always thought that this would be a great addition to the pavillion, especially since Disney wants to expose the cultures of the countries to all visitors. Even if it is a scaled down version, that would be awesome. It would be a great picture spot as well, with guests trying to make the guards laugh as they are standing thier post. Back in 1980, I worked at the Queen Mary attraction in Long Beach, CA and was a foot guard, in which we recreated this ceremony for all the tourists that vistied the ship. We did an hourly changing of the guard and I remember having to stand 1 hour guard duty shifts as throngs of visitors would have their pictures taken with me and try to make me laugh. Best summer job I had while going through college.
    Great idea. I'm always for more live entertainment in the parks. I also wouldn't mind a bagpiper or two sometime.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

They would do it, if they could do it with screens and not people lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    They would do it, if they could do it with screens and not people lol
    lol tupac hologram style anyone?

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by mkcoastie View Post
    Great idea. I'm always for more live entertainment in the parks. I also wouldn't mind a bagpiper or two sometime.
    bag pipers are the BOMB DIGGITY! seriously though it would be a nice little show I'd watch, heck they could even do a random drum and pipe parade kinda like they do over at the American Adventure....

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    It would be something interesting to watch at any rate..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Actually that might be a GREAT use of that technology... imagine you could have a hologram of someone being serious for all 12 operating hours. with random easter eggs throughout the day
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by mkcoastie View Post
    I like it. You need to add an Odessey label to that map. "good bathrooms" I'm thinking.
    Well firstly, I did not make that map, so I'm not going to add anything to it. Wouldn't be right.

Honestly in all of the time I've spent in that park I've *never* heard anyone reference the Odyssey as "good bathrooms." Ever. I don't think any tourist would ever say that. The graphic was about tourists who aren't overly familiar, not Epcot fanboys who know every inch of the park

I think my favorite has to be "The Lake (Where They Shoot The Fireworks) - although flipping China and Japan is pretty brilliant. Haha

Turn your favorite Disney CM into your NEW favorite collectible souvenir!
    Fully customizable hair & eye color, gender and even your name on the nametag!

Contact Createamations for details, and don't forget to visit us on Facebook for more!

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Even though the pavilion has almost no representation of Scotland/Wales/N. Ireland.

Come to think of it, some bagpipers actually wouldn't be a bad idea for that reason alone.

• Former Cast Member

A big yes on the Bag Pipers too, would love to see that as well, sort of a mini Edinburgh Tatoo.