Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Merry 2014!

Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

This does highlight the mistrust people have of huge companies and how reactionary people get around issues. But really, the Congressman should have had an aide look up the TOS and/ or done a search. Even MiceChat had an article explaining MyMagic+.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

The reality is that the places we shop have at least as much information as the Congressman is concerned about Disney having. Shop at Target? They know you better than almost any of your family and friends do.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    MyMagic+ is optional. No one is forcing anyone to use it.

You are already being tracked every time you enter the park and when you use your resort ID to purchase items.
    This is a moot point. We are debating the larger concept at hand. Just as Sandy Hook raised questions about gun control, My Magic has sparked discussions about privacy. We must resist smaller instances of privacy invasion before it gets out of hand. Some people seem so complacent. Continuing to accept these programs will have sweeping implications for our culture and lifestyle.

I know privacy invasion already exists. You're beating a dead horse. Undeniably, however, My Magic takes it to the next level. Eventually, we must throw up our arms, say "enough is enough," and draw the line somewhere.

Even 20 years ago, a proposal so radical as My Magic would never fly. It is a testimony to our culture's gradual acceptance of privacy invasion that it is being implemented today without much resistance. I think this is the dumbest thing Disney has ever proposed and am glad the idea is being challenged.
    Last edited by Justonedream; 01-29-2013 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    The reality is that the places we shop have at least as much information as the Congressman is concerned about Disney having. Shop at Target? They know you better than almost any of your family and friends do.
    I don't see how this ends the discussion. You're OK with this? I think My Magic is actually shedding light on a larger issue that needs to be addressed.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Justonedream View Post
    I don't see how this ends the discussion. You're OK with this? I think My Magic is actually shedding light on a larger issue that needs to be addressed.
    i dont think its being said that everyone is ok with it as much as its already a part of our society now and it wont be going anywhere anytime soon. the vast majority of major corporations have in depth information on you already either given up voluntarily or taken by force and its been going on for the last 20-30 years, nothing will change about that in our society regardless of how dangerous it is.

Post Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

Quote Originally Posted by Justonedream View Post
    Perhaps. But I think most of us realize it's going on behind the scenes where we shop. I don't see why it's all of a sudden an issue. Based on your credit card/debit card, Target creates a unique "Guest ID" for all of us and tracks everything we buy. They purchase from other companies our ethnicity, where we work(ed), which credit cards we have, anything we subscribe to, divorces, salary, where we live (how far away from and how long it takes to get to their stores), what we discuss online, what brands we like, books we read, what political party we belong to, what cars we have, and on, and on...

Taking all that info and combining it with our shopping habits is the job of their Guest Marketing Analytics Department. They use mathematics, then, to predict what's going on in our lives, or what we want (or don't yet know we want), and encourage us to come in through personalized ads.

Some of it is obvious. Have kids? You'll get coupons for toys near Christmas. Buy a swimsuit in Spring? You'll get coupons for sunscreen over summer and diet books in winter. But other stuff is crazy. They assign female guests a pregnancy score in hopes to identify if you're pregnant by the beginning of your 2nd trimester. Target realizes major life events are an opportunity to change your habits--including where you shop. Let's say you, out of the blue, buy I scented lotion, a purse large enough to double as a diaper bag, some supplements, and then maybe something else like a rug, Target's computers will believe you're pregnant. They're so good at this that there's a true story of a father complaining to to his local Target's manager that his teenage daughter was sent ads with coupons for baby clothes and cribs. He flipped. He got home, called back, and apologized. His daughter came clean, was pregnant, and Target already knew.

Reaction was poor at first, so now they "cover it up". They still send you targeted ads and coupons, but they're arranged in a seemingly random way so people don't notice. They've found as long as pregnant women don't think Target is targeting their pregnancy, no one's the wiser and it works beautifully. So, if Target already knows you buy socks each spring, then they find out you're pregnant, they can piggy back on prior info.

The point is that this is info we all give up voluntarily, and Target is but one example I've read about. We're naive if we think what Disney is doing is somehow new or not being done already by everyone else.

• Minion

IMO, Iger's response is incredibly rude and arrogant in tone. It sounds like he's saying, "How DARE you question anything I do!" There's no reason he couldn't have been more polite in his response. Acting like people's concerns are stupid and invalid is NOT good PR.

• Ello poppit

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    IMO, Iger's response is incredibly rude and arrogant in tone. It sounds like he's saying, "How DARE you question anything I do!" There's no reason he couldn't have been more polite in his response. Acting like people's concerns are stupid and invalid is NOT good PR.
    I most definitely agree. Not to mention, Congressman Markey was asking legitimate questions in an inquisitive tone. Sure, he didn't have to make it public, but there is no excuse for Iger's reaction. I have no doubt it was penned by lawyers and is a PR move by Disney to sound insulted by the questions but it is just going to create a bigger problem in my opinion. I doubt the Congressman is just going to back off now because Iger says "go look up the answers to your questions on our website".

I doubt the Congressman is just going to back off now because Iger says "go look up the answers to your questions on our website".
    If the Congressman is serious, he'll introduce a bill to roll back copyright to the original 26 years + 26 years. Most of Disney's stable would enter the public domain ( like they were supposed to until Disney tampered with the laws to benefit themselves to our detriment.)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

AND IGER Has responded... Like a man who means what he say! WOW!

Disney’s Iger responds to Congressman’s privacy concerns ... like a boss - Orlando Business Journal

“We are offended by the ludicrous and utterly ill-informed assertion in your letter dated Jan. 24, 2013, that we would in any way haphazardly or recklessly introduce a program that manipulates children or wantonly puts their safety at risk,” Iger wrote in a Jan. 28 letter. “It is truly unfortunate and extremely disappointing that you chose to publicly attack us before taking the time to review our policies and/or contact us for information, which would have obviated the need of your letter.”
    and

“Children cannot create individual registration accounts,” he said. In addition, “no matter what the parent decides, Disney does not use personal information to market to children under age 13 and does not personalize or target advertising to individual children.”
    “Had you or your staff made the slightest effort, you would have found most of the answers to your questions already existed and were publicly available online.”
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   
    • Minion

Ladies and gentlemen one of our congressmen at work. It's no wonder things don't get done. All he had to do was a little research rather than lash out at Disney. There are laws in place that all corporations must adhere to in regards to customer data. For a govenrment official to think Disney corporation would not follow this is laughable. There is a thread on this topic already in the DLR forum. I find this story to be hilarious. Iger's response is good he is defending his company from a false acquisition. And gave answers that were already public knowledge.

Wow. Just... wow. Not in regards to Markey, who asked some very poignant and thought-provoking questions, but to Iger, who blatantly disrespects him in reply instead of giving an equally curteous and straightforward answer. It boggles my mind to no end.

Had you or your staff made the slightest effort, you would have found most of the answers to your questions already existed and were publicly available online.
    -Bob Iger, CEO of the Walt Disney Company

Ed Markey is an attention whore who has been the bain of the amusement industry for years. He has been sticking his nose into things that he knows nothing about without doing any real due deligence. The questions he is asking have already been answered , all you have to do is ask. He gets a lot face time in the press, which is what he wants. He is your tax dollars at work.

• former CM

Here's another article about Iger's response:
    Bob Iger Calls MagicBand Criticism "Ludicrous" - Deadline.com
    I couldn't open the other link this morning.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast