Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• failure for lunch

Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    IMO, Iger's response is incredibly rude and arrogant in tone. It sounds like he's saying, "How DARE you question anything I do!" There's no reason he couldn't have been more polite in his response. Acting like people's concerns are stupid and invalid is NOT good PR.
    I can't disagree with you more. As much as I resent the billion dollars that was just wasted on this project, Bob Iger looked like a rock star. I'm so sick of Disneys cold, insipid, emotionless, canned responses that feel half-hazardly written by a PR firm. Whether or not I love or hate this idea (which I hate btw), the fact that the president came to its defense in such a manner demonstrates a passion that I haven't seen out of the Disney suits In a very very long time.

Bob earned so much respect from me.

But now that Disney let us know they have no problem burning through a billion dollars how about investing a little more in fixing WDW...
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

Quote Originally Posted by manifest View Post
    I can't disagree with you more. As much as I resent the billion dollars that was just wasted on this project, Bob Iger looked like a rock star. I'm so sick of Disneys cold, insipid, emotionless, canned responses that feel half-hazardly written by a PR firm. Whether or not I love or hate this idea (which I hate btw), the fact that the president came to its defense in such a manner demonstrates a passion that I haven't seen out of the Disney suits In a very very long time.

Bob earned so much respect from me.

But now that Disney let us know they have no problem burning through a billion dollars how about investing a little more in fixing WDW...
    I was going to write my own response, but you captured my thoughts perfectly.

My biggest concern beyond the personal data collected is that this system will take away my spontaneity when visiting the parks. Eventually, you will have attractions preset for you, dinner reservations preset for you, character interaction preset for you. I don't really want my day planned down to the second. That makes it very stressful. If I wanted stress I would stay home.
    A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. ~ Groucho Marx

Bob Iger's response does not surprise me in the least as I was at the Disney shareholders meeting in Oakland a few years ago where he told a man submitting a proposal to "go f8*k himself." Admittedly the proposal didn't have a lot of merit, as quite a bit of it was political in nature, but Mr. Iger strikes me as a very defensive Hollywood hothead when he might not get a green light to do exactly as he pleases. Very similar to alot of other powerful CEOs one might imagine.

I have serious privacy issues with their project, but I don't expect the dialog with the federal government to resolve them. At least it's been brought to the general publics attention. I think the end result will be typical in our consumer culture, the perceived benefits will outweigh any civil liberties issues and the corporate friendly feds will give the green light as long as their lobbying $$$ follows.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    IMO, Iger's response is incredibly rude and arrogant in tone. It sounds like he's saying, "How DARE you question anything I do!" There's no reason he couldn't have been more polite in his response. Acting like people's concerns are stupid and invalid is NOT good PR.
    I couldn't agree more. For those who remember Disney's public snarking on the fans who dared to disagree with turning Disneyland's It's a Small World into a "Where's Waldo" of branded characters a few years back, this comes as no surprise. "How dare you question what we do" has been Disney management's mindset for more than two decades. The tone of Iger's letter is typical of the arrogance and condescension that is the hallmark of their self-view.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Not on the Jedi Council

I agree that Iger's letter sounded arrogant. The fact is, corporations are too interested in small details about their customers, not just Disney. I commend Congress for calling them out on things that Disney should have been expected to be called out on.

My issue with this program is that in addition to taking all the spontaneity out of a trip to an amusement park, it also means longer lines and inconvenience for people not in it. And that is the point of the program, yet another freaking upsell. How about letting people have fun without the company overthinking it like this?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

If I were a shareholder, I would be upset is Iger didn't respond like that to congress. It's his job to dispute claims Disney considers unfair.

If you want to speak of the foolishness or wastefulness of the MyMagic+ program that's fine. But saying he's arrogant in his response is taking away from what he should be doing when under fire from congress.

•   
    • Minion

Iger's response is right on. When a public company is attacked in the public it brings bad publicity to you even when there is no merit for it. The general public loves to focus on negativity and run with it. Just watch your local news for proof. If you work for a company you want a CEO to show passion for your company. If you are a shareholder you want the company to care about who they are perceived as well Especially when the congressmen didn't even bother to know the facts.

It wasn't that long ago that the Federal government sent census takers door to door, who are temp workers, and wanted to know the names and ages of our children and what days and hours we commute, among other questions. And that was done under the threat of fine/imprisonment if we didn't answer. Soon they'll have access to all of our private health information. I am much more concerned about this lack of privacy and not so much about the Disney company tracking my consumer behavior.

Good for Mr. Iger standing up to the bully. Knowing politicians, the congressman is probably more interested in lobby money coming his way from Disney than he is in protecting our privacy.

• will-o-the-whip

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    The reality is that the places we shop have at least as much information as the Congressman is concerned about Disney having. Shop at Target? They know you better than almost any of your family and friends do.
    Not if you pay cash, they don't.

As others have said, a better investment for Disney would have been in new attractions and rides, that's what people really want and it would make the lines shorter. Instead we lose attractions like Snow White's dark ride.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Not if you pay cash, they don't.

As others have said, a better investment for Disney would have been in new attractions and rides, that's what people really want and it would make the lines shorter. Instead we lose attractions like Snow White's dark ride.
    Not many people only pay with cash though. Every year the number of debit/credit transactions go up. The numbers are so over whelming systes like magic+ only help companies attune their strategies. In my business electronic payment accounts for over 80% of our business.

• will-o-the-whip

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Not many people only pay with cash though. Every year the number of debit/credit transactions go up. The numbers are so over whelming systes like magic+ only help companies attune their strategies. In my business electronic payment accounts for over 80% of our business.
    Exactly, you have a choice. If you don't care about your privacy then pay by credit card for everything; otherwise pay cash. Most purchases at Target are not large, so paying cash is relatively convenient and simple. Unless the laws change, that's the way it is. But whether you pay with cash or credit, your experience at Target is the same. You might miss a few discounts, but those discounts are usually for the garbage items Target is trying to dump and not worth buying anyway.

One problem with MyMagic+ is that if you don't use it, then you lose out by waiting in longer lines. Eventually you will not get Fastpass without the magic wristband, and you, the paying customer who cares about your privacy or does not want to stay in an over-priced Disney hotel, will be stuck on the long lines at the park. If they're going to have some kind of Fastpass system then make it like Universal Express where anyone can purchase the express tickets (not just if you stay in a hotel, club member, etc.), they're not timed to specific windows, and don't have privacy issues because they are not related to anything else.

Bottom line, Disney wasted a lot of money for something very few people seem interested in or were clamoring for. Instead the money could have been used to spruce up the resort, get some new attractions and rides, and save some older attractions rather than demolishing them. If Disney is really worried about long lines at the park, then build more attractions to increase capacity!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    A big chunk of that money is going into more than the MyMagic+. It's going into new queues like HM, LM and BTMRR have. Into the coming new entrance gates. Phineas and Ferb and the coming Pirate Adventure, magic paintins on the cruise ship. Some big things that many will enjoy without having the wrist bands.

• Doombuggy Rider

I truly don't see Bob Iger as an issue, since he is planning his retirement by the time Disneyland is through celebrating it's 60th Anniversary .... sure his letter sounded defensive - because it was defensive, as the integrity of the Walt Disney Co was being questioned (not that - that - is a bad thing. In fact? There are many times when the Walt Disney Co. needs to be called out upon various issues) ....

I view MyMagic+ as a test. If it works? MyMagic+ will be hailed as an innovative change to Theme Park Experiences that generates money (& watch how quickly other Theme Parks offer something similar). If it MyMagic+ fails? Then we have all the right to complain what a waste of $ MyMagic+ was (this doesn't detour from the fact that WDW needs a lot of TLC and George K. has got his work cut out for him) ....

Disney Park's Blog re" My Magic +

Taking the Disney Guest Experience to the Next Level « Disney Parks Blog

GeekMom @ WIRED brings up significant issue - what happens when Toddler (or Park Guests) loses wristband?

MyMagic+ at Walt Disney World | GeekMom | Wired.com

LA Times as when MyMagic+ will be featured @ Disneyland (notice the brief Al Lutz comment)

When will the digital pixie dust -- MyMagic+ -- get to Disneyland? - latimes.com

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

A system for replacing lost wristbands, which I'm sure they anticipate happening, is probably the least of their worries. You would just report the loss to Guest Relations, show them proof that you had one(hotel key/photo I.D. ,etc), and they can then do something in the computer to disable the lost wristband(surely their will be a system in place to do this), and then they'll issue a replacement.
    If this thing is really something that is not going to be popular, then that will become apparent once it's been online for a while, and the company will decide if it's worth it to continue the program.
    I'm also wondering how badly it's really going to impact the lines, especially if it's something that I'm sensing is not going to be used by that many people. Also, if they give you an agenda of what to do when during your visit, well, I'm wondering how many of those guest are actually going to want to stick to the plan. I can really see the plan going out the window with some people. I'm sure that that too was taken into consideration.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast