Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 100
  1. #61

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    452

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Not if you pay cash, they don't.

    As others have said, a better investment for Disney would have been in new attractions and rides, that's what people really want and it would make the lines shorter. Instead we lose attractions like Snow White's dark ride.
    Most successful companies will not be gearing their business around the minority of customers who pay cash. New rides are cool, but it's a process. Interactive queues, extras, even revamped areas (ex: CA Adv's Buena Vista St.) are exciting as well. I'm assuming if anyone has their finger on the pulse of what their customers want, it's Disney.

  2. #62

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    366

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    they can then do something in the computer to disable the lost wristband
    There ARE NO LOST WRISTBANDS.

    It may have fallen off your wrist, but the **ENTIRE SYSTEM** is predicated on them knowing where the damned thing is at all times.

    What they need to do is simply send a CM to retrieve it for you.

  3. #63

    • "What is thy bidding?"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Death Star
    Posts
    166

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    I found this at wdwmagic.com

    1. What does 'MyMagic+' provide?
    - 'MyMagic+' comprises of 3 main components: My Disney Experience website and smartphone app, FASTPASS+, and MagicBand RFID bracelet. The MagicBand replaces traditional tickets with a bracelet that is worn on the wrist. MagicBand combines all tickets, allowing room entry, park entry, FASTPASS+ attraction entry, PHOTOPASS, and room charging.

    2. When will 'MyMagic+' be available?
    - The system is in limited testing now, and Disney has said that it should be available to all Walt Disney World guests later in 2013.

    3. How much does 'MyMagic+' cost?
    - The system will be available at no additional cost. The basic MagicBand RFID bracelet can be upgraded to a customized band, such as a Princess band, for an additional fee. This is only a cosmetic change however, and does not impact the actual experience.

    4. Will you have to use 'MyMagic+'?
    - No. The system is opt in, and is not required. However, if you do not use 'MyMagic+' you will not be able to use FASTPASS+.

    5. Will Annual Passholders be able to use 'MyMagic+'?
    Yes, Disney has said that they will be contacting Annual Passholders to provide them with a MagicBand to take part in the program.

    6. Will guests have to use a smartphone to use FASTPASS+?
    No. Guests will be able to use kiosks inside the parks to choose FASTPASS+ experiences as well as using smartphones or websites.

    7. Is the MagicBand bracelet secure?
    Yes, just like a normal park ticket, the bracelet just contains a unique ID code. This code identifies guests in the Disney database. No information is stored on the bracelet.

    8. Will MyMagic+ be available to non-Walt Disney World Resort guests?
    Yes. Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a MagicBand, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive an RFID enabled ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish.



    Hmmm. if this is no additional cost then everyone will be enticed to "opt" in for this. Not sure if I like the idea of room entry associated with this......supposedly no information is actually stored on the bracelet....

  4. #64

    • 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    242

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    There ARE NO LOST WRISTBANDS.

    It may have fallen off your wrist, but the **ENTIRE SYSTEM** is predicated on them knowing where the damned thing is at all times.

    What they need to do is simply send a CM to retrieve it for you.
    Bob Iger said that they in no way have the ability to know where the wristband is at all times in his response to Markey. There is just simply not enough power to support GPS in the band.

    Photo Via jdhilger

  5. #65

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Quote Originally Posted by napeterson18 View Post
    Bob Iger said that they in no way have the ability to know where the wristband is at all times in his response to Markey. There is just simply not enough power to support GPS in the band.
    I think this speaks volumes about how much Iger knows how the P&R plan to use this.

    They whole point of installing the RFID infrastructure throughout all of WDW, is so that they can monitor crowds, and the demographics of crowds in real time.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  6. #66

    • 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    242

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I think this speaks volumes about how much Iger knows how the P&R plan to use this.

    They whole point of installing the RFID infrastructure throughout all of WDW, is so that they can monitor crowds, and the demographics of crowds in real time.
    Yes. In no way is that a GPS. The best they could do is look around the last place the wristband checked in or paid with something using RFID. If that last place was the FP+ at Peter Pan, and then Bobby lost his wristband somewhere in Tomorrowland, they would have no way of knowing that wristband was in TL and not FL. The most they could know is whether or not the band was inside or outside the park (as you would have to exit by passing an RFID point).
    Last edited by napeterson18; 01-31-2013 at 09:39 AM.

    Photo Via jdhilger

  7. #67

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Quote Originally Posted by napeterson18 View Post
    Yes. In no way is that a GPS. The best they could do is look around the last place the wristband checked in or paid with something using RFID. If that last place was the FP+ at Peter Pan, and then Bobby lost his wristband somewhere in Tomorrowland, they would have no way of knowing that wristband was in TL and not FL. The most they could know is whether or not the band was inside or outside the park (as you would have to exit by passing an RFID point).
    There are long range RFIDs installed THROUGHOUT the park that will track your personal location.

    It is not using the Global Positioning Satellite to determine you location... but by using long range RFID technology they will know your exact location.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  8. #68

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    366

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    You know, this isn't new tech or anything. Tracking livestock location every second of the day is pretty much off the shelf. You can do it with a satellite, I understand, so sprinkling readers all over the place is trivial.

    But hey, for a nominal fee, you can get a princess bracelet!

    If I was examining this for vulnerabilities, I would make sure that the encryption on the bracelets is bulletproof, and not just accept a vendor's word for it. Could you imagine someone rigging up a 'smart bracelet' to their phone, which sniffs other peoples' bracelets as they walk around, and when they go buy something, just picks a random account to bill it to?

    The possibilities are endless.

  9. #69

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    If I was examining this for vulnerabilities, I would make sure that the encryption on the bracelets is bulletproof, and not just accept a vendor's word for it. Could you imagine someone rigging up a 'smart bracelet' to their phone, which sniffs other peoples' bracelets as they walk around, and when they go buy something, just picks a random account to bill it to?

    The possibilities are endless.
    Bingo. To a large pot of endless possibilities, stir in uncounted coders drooling at the opportunity to hack a never-ending supply of marks conveniently packed like sardines in Disney Parks. Cover with a cheesy crust of corporate arrogance that insists "it can't happen to us, we're Disney!" and which won't listen to external or internal warnings of potential problems.

    Bon appetit.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  10. #70

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo. To a large pot of endless possibilities, stir in uncounted coders drooling at the opportunity to hack a never-ending supply of marks conveniently packed like sardines in Disney Parks. Cover with a cheesy crust of corporate arrogance that insists "it can't happen to us, we're Disney!" and which won't listen to external or internal warnings of potential problems.

    Bon appetit.

    Too bad most real companies already guard against this by having multiple solutions in place. The amount of times attacks are fended off will never make the news though no one is interested in good news.

  11. #71

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    366

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Too bad most real companies already guard against this by having multiple solutions in place. The amount of times attacks are fended off will never make the news though no one is interested in good news.
    And I'm sure Disney is going to have a system in place to deal with the issue. The question, as always, will be, "Is fixing the problem of guest accounts having drive-by charges on them more expensive than just crediting the guest for the 'error'?

  12. #72

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    33

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Two things:

    1. Data protection? Ummm... Disney's IT department hasn't exactly been known for their solid planning and execution in the past... This whole system just sounds ripe for abuse and getting hacked. After all, how many guests (or banks, for that matter) are going to notice if someone was able to hack the system and stole their credit card information? They've notified their bank, usually, that they are on vacation in a different state/country, so would they or their bank notice if a couple of extra hundred $$$'s were charged somewhere?

    2. I've said this other places, but it bears repeating here: FastPass was introduced to get people out of queues and into shops, restaurants, etc. But now Disney is spending hundreds of millions to... keep people in the queue by giving them something to do... to entertain them... while they wait in the queue. Rather than expand capacity, they think the solution to long lines is to keep people in the existing queues longer?

    MyMagic+ is optional. Now. I predict that by the end of 2013 you will automatically get one whenever you check into a Disney resort. Disney says, "Available to all guests", but if you believe they won't try to shove this down every guests' throat, you've been inhaling way too much pixie dust. Disney will say, "You can always opt out"... (if you read the fine print and specifically request to not get a MyMagic+ bracelet). Someday, what happens if Disney decides that only MyMagic+ bracelets will be able to get a FastPass and not just FastPass+? What happens then if you refuse to get a bracelet when you buy a Park Hopper or an Annual Pass - no FastPasses at all for you?

    This whole project has stunk like a dead fish from the moment it was green-lit.

  13. #73

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedPirate View Post
    Two things:

    1. Data protection? Ummm... Disney's IT department hasn't exactly been known for their solid planning and execution in the past... This whole system just sounds ripe for abuse and getting hacked. After all, how many guests (or banks, for that matter) are going to notice if someone was able to hack the system and stole their credit card information? They've notified their bank, usually, that they are on vacation in a different state/country, so would they or their bank notice if a couple of extra hundred $$$'s were charged somewhere?
    They have already had our data for years how many times have people accounts been compromised through their IT department? The amount of policies in place from the government are pretty solid. I am very biased considering this is the field I work in but the statement above sounds like a huge generalization that in a lot of the publics view is considered facts. I have already outlined a framework for how customer data and privacy is regulated through the govenrment and adhered to by corporations already. In my opinion if you are that paranoid just don't use the systems I see a benefit in this system and will welcome it and use it to help me enjoy the parks and not worry every second of my life that a 1/1000000000 chance of my data being hacked will actually happen. But then again since I live and breathe customer data for a living I have a different view of how it really works and don't by in to the news articles about it. Trust me I know data can be compromised it's why i have a job. But if people think Disney is going to risk their company reputation on skipping out on these laws on customer data (PCI compliance it's called) that's plain silly. It would ruin them and that's not something any corporation takes lightly.
    Last edited by biggsworth; 02-01-2013 at 03:57 PM.

  14. #74

    •   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not quite here.
    Posts
    21,282

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    Many of the questions he asked have already been answered, but instead of doing his research he just spit out a letter instead of worrying about the nation's deficit.
    He's entitled to ask, and it is prudent for him to ask Disney directly, and get a direct answer, rather than rely upon whatever research you think he might otherwise do, and I'm glad that Congress is looking into this, even if they haven't solved the deficit and found a cure to cancer already.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

    Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

  15. #75

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    366

    Re: Bob Iger sent letter by Congress on MyMagic+

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    But if people think Disney is going to risk their company reputation on skipping out on these laws on customer data (PCI compliance it's called) that's plain silly. It would ruin them and that's not something any corporation takes lightly.
    Oh my....

    Let's see if I can respond to this comprehensively without violating any confidentiality responsibilities I retain even after my tenure has ended.

    Let me just leave this here: PlayStation Network outage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    "At the time of the outage, with a count of 77 million registered PlayStation Network accounts,[7] it was one of the largest data security breaches in history.[8][9] It surpassed the 2007 TJX hack which affected 45 million customers.[10]"

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does Bob Iger have what it takes to become a good Disney CEO?
    By Disney Wrassler in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 09-16-2005, 10:59 AM
  2. Bob Iger speaks to Investors- June 7th, 2005
    By dramaqueen in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 06:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 06:11 PM
  4. Bob Iger...
    By Uncle Remus in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
  5. Breaking News: BOB IGER the New # 1
    By disneyking in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 05:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •