Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Inappropriate

Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Back when Walt was planning WDW, it was going to be MK and a centrally planned city, EPCOT.

Post Walt Epcot them park was built and used a central parking lot and monorail between the parks.

Then Eisner came in and WDW expanded greatly, in a semi random way making use of the big area to spread things out.

Pretty much now, it's too late to build a true central parking lot, and simple layout to make and efficient transportation system.
    So was the Ticket Transportation Center ACTUALLY a Ticket and Transportation Center back when there were just the two parks? Because that name doesn't make sense anymore.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Under that tree again!

Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    So was the Ticket Transportation Center ACTUALLY a Ticket and Transportation Center back when there were just the two parks? Because that name doesn't make sense anymore.
    Sort of. Epcot was built with its own parking lot. When Epcot opened Passports were created, and Ticket Books has disapeared. Now park hopping started. So you parked at the central lot where a monorail would take you to one or the other park.

The TTC is still what some people use as the central parking simply because they know they can get everywhere from there.

The centralized planning went off the rails pretty quickly, and this is a great example. Yeah, it started as the TTC, but in reality it's turned into another front-end to The Magic Kingdom.

I like it King Eric. Look at this map.Name:  Map_WDW_Resort (800x509) (700x445).jpg
Views: 176
Size:  241.9 KB. Disney is laid out very nicely for your idea.

1) Run a monorail line to AK, DHS, Wide World of Sports and Downtown Disney, all starting from the new and improved TTC (with added parking).

2) Expand existing monorail loop to run through Wilderness Lodge.

3) Build AK peoplemover loop that connects: Animal Kingdom, Animal Kingdom Lodge, The All-Star Resorts, Coronado Springs and Blizzard Beach.

4) Build DHS/EPCOT peoplemover loop that connects: EPCOT, DHS, Beach and Yacht Club, Swan and Dolphin, and Boardwalk...or to cut costs, keep the boats and ditch the peoplemover.

5) Build Wide World of Sports loop that connects: Wide World of Sports, Pop Century, Art of Animation, and Caribbean Beach.

6) Build Downtown Disney loop that connects: West Side, Marketplace, Port Orleans, Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, and Typhoon Lagoon

This virtually eliminates the bus service and provides easy access to every location in the resort.

Or you could just enclose the vehicles. This would eliminate the "teen issues" you discuss and will act as a shield against inclement weather. This allows the vehicles to be climate controlled and eliminates the need to cover the track with a roof (further eliminating infrastructure costs). LIM technology has reached a point where grade isn't an issue, so magnets all around should work fine (think of the 2nd screamin' lift hill which uses magnets to pull the train up and over the large drop).

The ride on the existing monorail is about 15 minutes now. Add in that you want to make this a central location/hub. That would move it farther from MK, and closer to AK and EPCOT. That will add time to the MK, the mainstay of WDW. Next, your removing the option of parking lots at the parks and so FORCING EVERYONE to use the new system. I think that would pretty much triple the number of people who would have to use the monorail to each park. I hope you enjoy lines! You think waiting for a bus is bad, this would kill the park in about 3 weeks with all the deaths..... from tempers over flowing trying to get on a monorail.

No thank-you. I'll be more than happy to ride a bus. As I said, all of the times I've been to the parks and rode those buses I have never had a bad experience. It could it happen? Sure, but the same goes for anything else. I do have to say I got stuck on the monorail once, but it was only for like 5 minutes. Considering the number of people that Disney moves it amazes me at how smoothly it all goes.

I can't see Disney investing hundreds of millions of dollars to upgrade a transportation system that has worked very well for years. Now if the technology comes around were they can make controlled wormholes so that you can walk through a gate and appear at the next park, I'm all for spending the money then!

• Minion

Although I'm among those who would love to see the original Monorail and Peoplemover concept in practice, I'm actually a fan of the Disney bus system. Then again, I've used the city bus system in several different cities, and probably have more to favorably compare it to than someone who's used to driving everywhere.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    I can't see Disney investing hundreds of millions of dollars to upgrade a transportation system that has worked very well for years.
    What I would really like is an option. Much like the Monorail Resorts also have Resort Launches(boats) to the MK or the Port Orleans Resort have a boat of bus to DTD. I don't see a reason to replace buses, only to supplement them.

Couldn't they at least build bus-only roads? When I was at WDW last January, we rode the bus from All Stars to Magic Kingdom, and it took over an hour because of the marathon. One of the people on the bus was a poor gal who ended up late for work at MK because of the slow-moving traffic. She was scared to death of losing her job because of being late.

I think things would work better for the buses if they just had bus-only roads.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by tinaalsgirl View Post
    Couldn't they at least build bus-only roads? When I was at WDW last January, we rode the bus from All Stars to Magic Kingdom, and it took over an hour because of the marathon. One of the people on the bus was a poor gal who ended up late for work at MK because of the slow-moving traffic. She was scared to death of losing her job because of being late.

I think things would work better for the buses if they just had bus-only roads.
    There are some bus only lanes. Building bus only road would not be faster unless it bypassed intersections. To do that you would need many over/under passes and that is very expensive.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Just want to point out that WDI did build a people mover at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston. Inter-terminal train (George Bush Intercontinental Airport) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yup, here it is:

It's one of two people movers they have at George Bush International Airport (the other one, called Terminalink, which is fairly new, is above ground, and is a bit of a cross between a monorail and a people mover in its basic design). The WEDway people mover (called ther Inter-Terminal Train, and which uses linear induction motors, exactly like the one in the Magic Kingdom in WDW) transports travelers underground, in a circular pattern, between each airport terminal and also to the neighboring Marriott hotel.

The newer above-ground people mover runs only in a straight line, back and forth, along the north side of Terminal Road, only between Terminals A & D (Terminal E, which is across Terminal Road from Terminal D, and the new Terminal B, which is being constructed across Terminal Road from the current Terminal B, are not included in the Terminalink line, unlike the Inter-Terminal Train).

See this map to get an idea of how the layout is arranged.

Pretty much now, it's too late to build a true central parking lot, and simple layout to make and efficient transportation system.
    It's too late? Like how it was too late to build DCA because there was already a parking lot on that land? Like it was too late to build parking on the land surrounding Disneyland, because it was in other hands?

It's not "too late" for Disney World to make some very necessary changes to solve the parking and interpark transportation issues, just because other parks now exist.

A simple, basic layout may not necessarily be easily achievable (one might not necessarily be most effective, either), but workable solutions are most definitely available. It's just a matter of what solution(s) will work best for the resort as a whole.

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by Aotphks View Post
    Bottom line is MONEY. As long as there are visitors defending how they don't mind taking busses all over Disney World, that will be management's excuse not to expand the monorails. The Bus system alone is probably the 2nd reason why the few times we have visited Disney World, we have decided against staying at a Disney hotel. The first reason being finding better quality non-disney hotels at lower prices, which affords us to spend on other things we much rather have, like a rental car or be able to visit other places in Orlando.

There is something so... un-magical about taking a crowded bus to/from a Disney park.
    If you don't like the on-site hotels that’s fine (and there are many who agree with you). They are VERY expensive, and yes, you can find quality hotels off-property for less. I personally stay on-property because the themed environments and extra Disney touches are worth it for me, but that’s my opinion. With that being said, however, the Idea that staying off-site allows a hassle free ride to the parks is a bit of a stretch. I would hardly call a parking tram more magical than a bus (or walking through a parking lot), and after the tram, you're still waiting for the crowded monorail or boat. Besides, using the buses not required, they are just an option you have (much like the scheduled shuttle most off site hotels offer to the TTC).
    As for management having a reason to replace the busses? I think they would LOVE to replace the busses. The busses are expensive to run and maintain, but the fact is (as a publicly traded company) they simply cannot justify the cost of expanding the monorail. I would LOVE to see the monorail expanded. I would be doing happy dances in the street if this happened. But it would mean spending hundreds of millions that I would frankly much rather see going towards adding an e-ticket or bringing the Imagination pavilion back from the dead. WDW needs a lot of help right now, but I have to agree with a lot of people on this thread that I personally have not had that much of an issue with the busses. They are certainly not a perfect, but they are a decent solution to a difficult problem. That being said, we can still think of what could be..........
    Quote Originally Posted by wsiirola View Post
    What do you think of Disney replacing the bus system with a large scale Peoplemover-like transport system?
    I love your Idea; this would be an awesome way to do transportation and would be very much in the spirit of Walt's EPCOT. I've spent a lot of time dreaming about what would be best for transportation, and this would be a great solution. Although I have always thought the best way cost and logistical wise would be a trolley system, I would much rather see your Idea come to fruition.
    Last edited by mkcoastie; 01-28-2013 at 07:37 AM.

• Minion

There are some bus only lanes. Building bus only road would not be faster unless it bypassed intersections. To do that you would need many over/under passes and that is very expensive.
    i think thats what she meant there. bus only lanes across the entire property in my opinion would significantly help the amount of time it takes busses to get from point a to point b. also reducing the number of busses on the road with other forms of transportation being made available would obviously be a big help as well.

My next visit, in Feb., we are flying in, and although ill be relying on the buses, ill rent a car. That way ill create my own options. Mainly, what i want to get away from, is half our stay, we will be at AKL, and thats out there away from most the resort. This is the first time staying there and im relying on the information i have gotten from this forum. Other times when staying on property, 90 % of the time , ive never had any probs with the buses. The other 10 %, was not from waiting for the bus, but the traffic it runs into.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    The Transportation and Ticket Center used to really really be what the name implies. There never used to be buses directly to the Magic Kingdom so you would have to take the ferry or monorail from the TTC to get there. While EPCOT Center did have it's own parking lot the monorail was still the best way to get between the two parks. However, what really made it the Transportation and Ticket was that it was where buses from non-Disney resorts would drop off and pick up passengers and it also offered transportation to other Orlando attractions. Disney didn't always try to fight to keep everyone on property for their whole stay. If you were staying at Fort Wilderness and wanted to go to Sea World, you could catch a bus at the TTC.

Epcot is still pretty much in the center of everything. If they turned that monorail station into the resort's main transportation hub, you could still get pretty much everywhere in a reasonable amount of time. Though if they wanted to be really bold they could build an EPCOT themed Disney Vacation Club resort on World drive between Epcot and the TTC with regular rooms and a much better shopping district than Downtown Disney in the hub and villas where the houses were supposed to be beyond the greenbelt. Everything could connect through the transportation lobby there and minds would be sufficiently blown, but that will never happen.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast