Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    Mainly, what i want to get away from, is half our stay, we will be at AKL, and thats out there away from most the resort.
    AKL should absolutely have more transportation options. A Deluxe resort at Deluxe prices, with a bus or your own car being the only transportation, is ridiculous.

Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

I wish I knew how much peoplemover track costs to build and I also wish I knew the maintenance budget for the bus system so we could see the true cost difference. I still think that "plusing" the transportation system will no doubt increase guest satisfaction and reduce maintenance costs regardless of the initial cost. I don't think anyone has ever said that they would rather ride a bus than take a monorail or peoplemover. I personally enjoy riding the monorail (it is one of the highlights of a Disney vacation for me). Why can't all transportation at Disney World be like that?

On top of that, having convenient transportation right from your hotel to the rest of the resort would be a HUGE incentive to pay the extra money stay on site. No one would then be able to justify that staying offsite is more convenient from a transportation perspective. If only Disney would listen to us MiceChatters...

The more options, the merrier, for sure, but the bus system is still the only feasible way to have DIRECT transportation from every hotel to every park. Riding the monorail loop takes time -- depending on where you leave from and how long the line is, it can end up taking much longer than the bus. Imagine if you wanted to get from Pop Century to the Magic Kingdom in a version of WDW with tracks going to every hotel. Any sort of PeopleMover or monorail system would most definitely involve riding a loop of a couple other resorts and a park and switching into the MK loop. There is no way that is going to be faster than a bus that takes you directly from Pop Century to MK! Even with a modest wait and a little traffic....

Also - what is the situation on PeopleMover systems in regards to people with disabilities? How accessible are they?

People aren't defending the bus system because they are mindless Disney defenders - they defend it because it is a very well-run system, and they acknowledge that Disney "magic" can't make every minute of waiting disappear, or defy the laws of physics, or anticipate every possible inconvenience. I would also be interested to hear how often people who praise or berate the bus system use public transportation in their everyday life...maybe a poll would be useful!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by wsiirola View Post
    I wish I knew how much peoplemover track costs to build and I also wish I knew the maintenance budget for the bus system so we could see the true cost difference.
    Since you probably attend CSM I'm going to teach you something you should have already learned. Research it. See if you can find some pricing on the Houston Airport project. Look up the inflation rate of constrution projects. Consider differences in sizes, and other contraints of each system. You can likewise find information on the bus systems and do another relative analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    AKL should absolutely have more transportation options. A Deluxe resort at Deluxe prices, with a bus or your own car being the only transportation, is ridiculous.
    Im not limiting myself to just a bus or car. I love taking a boat every chance i get. Ill explore my other options when i get there. Its my first time at AKL, so i really dont know yet.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Of the delux resorts, AKL and the WL have lower pricing than the rest. I would guess that's because WL is far from parks and the least luxurious of them. AKL is also far, but has IMO a more luxorious feel than most but it lacks water views, and the activities that water provides.

Still the low pricing for the luxorious feels doesn't overthrow it's transportation lacking. I'm not sure why there is a little lake across from the resort entrance and it wasn't expaned toward the hotel and a canal built to the DAK entrance.

• Inappropriate

I'm honestly surprised AKL isn't directly connected somehow with its namesake park. Especially being that close together. Ooo! A safari-themed peoplemover to take you from AKL to DAK would be awesome! Even if it's just a short route, it accomplishes a few things:
    1. It provides a good test environment to see if a peoplemover really IS a viable form of transportation.
    2. It provides AKL with the alternative transportation it lacks as a deluxe resort.
    3. Peoplemovers are cool. Having animals along the route somehow on the way to the park would be more than awesome.
    4.?????
    5. Profit.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

How did you know? (I guess there aren't too many engineering schools in Denver). I knew WED refurbished the inter-terminal train back in 1981, but I'm not sure how relevant the costs would be since they were merely rebuilding on the original tracks back from 1969. I did find some information on the bus system. According to one somewhat dated "fun facts" website, Disney has a fleet of 187 buses. Each bus averages about 50,000 miles a year. According to "http://www.debunkingportland.com/top10bus.html", the top 10 bus agencies in the U.S have an average operating cost of $11.38 per mile. Assuming that all these facts are correct, the cost to run the bus system for a year is roughly ($11.38)(50,000 miles)(187 buses) = $106 million per year! That is much higher than I expected.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

All I can say is in my 12 trips to the parks I have never had a "horrendous" problem with the buses. Currently I enjoy the experience of getting in line, grabbing a seat, standing in some cases, using FREE Disney Transportation of any kind to get around the parks.

I will say that the buses will at some point alter, change or disppear in the far future. Before the buses even disappear they will be replaced with clean fuel buses way before a peoplemover would be built.

The system works and I feel Disney will continue to use the Buses and update them just as they recently did with a new bus being introduced this week via the Disney Blog. Maybe someone who visits frequently should ask people who operate that bus what the new bus features, if any, in engine fuel, design, etc. Or maybe it's just a regular bus repainted. Either way, if it is, that shows you that you will NOT be getting a "fantasy" peoplemover anytime soon.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Bearing with the bears

To be honest I've never had a serious problem with the buses. Sure I had to wait a bit but that's not a big problem. I do wish they would build a better transit system but a Peoplemover is not the best solution; the system hasn't really ever been proven on a large scale and the baffling placement of the parks wouldn't make for an efficient system, crowd flow would be odd and it would probably confuse patrons. Sure they had a plan for it in the 1970s but it was the before the countless regulations that stated everything had to as simple and safe as possible. Moreover, could you imagine how much of a pain it would be to maintain and power hundreds of LIMs? It's not exactly a just something you plug into the wall and it works. Plus, how the heck would they retrofit the old bus stations into Peopleomover stations? Cut them in four and make "bays"? Sure that would be neat but how do you explain to people which lane goes to which park? On the other hand I could see a a light rail system or possibly a monorail being installed since both systems have been proven to be fairly efficient and are (generally) cheaper to maintain in the long run.

PS: congestion would be as bad on a different system, you'd just be moving the crowds to another system, it won't "magically" solve crowd problems.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by BandM View Post
    Plus, how the heck would they retrofit the old bus stations into Peopleomover stations? Cut them in four and make "bays"? Sure that would be neat but how do you explain to people which lane goes to which park? On the other hand I could see a a light rail system or possibly a monorail being installed since both systems have been proven to be fairly efficient and are (generally) cheaper to maintain in the long run.

PS: congestion would be as bad on a different system, you'd just be moving the crowds to another system, it won't "magically" solve crowd problems.
    I would disagree with you on that where is would not be hard to transform Bus Stations into Mass Transit stations you just add stairs also you would not have a hard time explaining where system goes because you do what exactly they have been doing for these years "Put up signs". I would like to see a light rail system but how different then them putting in a Monorail system its just on the ground. And it does not Magically solve problems it would practicaly solve the problem while doing it in a very Disney fashion.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The Peoplemover is a completely outdated idea. PRT is the way to go now. Anything else would just be stupid. Don't know what PRT is or why it's better than a Peoplemover or monorail? Look it up. Personal rapid transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PRT is the only option that can account for the great fluctuation of capacity that WDW requires.
    -Bill

• Disneyland 20 year APH

^I could see Disney Doing this to perfection my problem would be how many units would they need to have and how long would the average ride be before the unit could be re used. its unlike a elevator where the unit would only be ft above/below you where this would require a unit to be sent across the property
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast