Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    The Peoplemover is a completely outdated idea. PRT is the way to go now. Anything else would just be stupid. Don't know what PRT is or why it's better than a Peoplemover or monorail? Look it up. Personal rapid transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PRT is the only option that can account for the great fluctuation of capacity that WDW requires.
    that would be cool, and really put WDW into the cutting edge of transit tech again...

A link to the bus post on the blog, I asked also if these buses were of hybrid in design or just a new paint scheme This Week in Disney Parks Photos: New Drinks, Wheels & A Nighttime Spectacular Turns 25 « Disney Parks Blog
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Under that tree again!

Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post

A link to the bus post on the blog, I asked also if these buses were of hybrid in design or just a new paint scheme This Week in Disney Parks Photos: New Drinks, Wheels & A Nighttime Spectacular Turns 25 « Disney Parks Blog
    Just paint. That's the AC unit on top not a battery pack.

• Metro-Retro Historian

The Peoplemover is a completely outdated idea. PRT is the way to go now. Anything else would just be stupid. Don't know what PRT is or why it's better than a Peoplemover or monorail? Look it up. Personal rapid transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PRT is the only option that can account for the great fluctuation of capacity that WDW requires.
    The big fluctuations in capacity are the main reason I'm not sure about PRT is Walt Disney World. It just seems like they would get really backed up in the mornings when everyone is going to the parks. It just seems like it would create a new kind of traffic jam. Also the people at the resorts that missed the first wave of vehicles now have to wait how long for them to unload and come back?

If PRT could be made workable it could be amazing, it just has a lot of extra variables to consider and I'm not yet convinced that it would be more efficient than taking a peoplemover that is always loading/unloading and transferring to a monorail with a much greater capacity.

Fun fact: Walt Disney World's monorail system saw its last upgrade in 1991. That's half the life of Walt Disney World. I think it's about time they did something new with it.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

PRT is massively scalable to WDW's operations. A PeopleMover would actually have less capacity than PRT.

And yes, you'd need thousands of vehicles and large stations at the parks.

Having said this, the monorails from MK to the TTC would still be necessary.
    -Bill

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The big fluctuations in capacity are the main reason I'm not sure about PRT is Walt Disney World. It just seems like they would get really backed up in the mornings when everyone is going to the parks. It just seems like it would create a new kind of traffic jam. Also the people at the resorts that missed the first wave of vehicles now have to wait how long for them to unload and come back?

If PRT could be made workable it could be amazing, it just has a lot of extra variables to consider and I'm not yet convinced that it would be more efficient than taking a peoplemover that is always loading/unloading and transferring to a monorail with a much greater capacity.

Fun fact: Walt Disney World's monorail system saw its last upgrade in 1991. That's half the life of Walt Disney World. I think it's about time they did something new with it.
    In a way it's more viable then a Peoplemover system, the vehicles could be set set to drive on the bus only lanes and made narrow enough to fit 4 people but still let 2 or 3 cars go by to avoid traffic and wouldn't require a lot of new infrastructure. The bus depots wouldn't need to have track set all over it and the bus stops could be be reused as stations/charging stations) and it would be easier to put more vehicles into circulation if need be, roads are easier to build then monorail beams and PM track since there's no arguing with the 300 bazillion environmental agency the plans would need to go through before they even began to dig the holes for the pillars and battery powered vehicles are cheaper to maintain then hundreds of LIMs set over a 7 000 acres. PRTs would be more personal then a bus, wouldn't require a driver, could travel faster then a large bus and wouldn't have as many mechanical parts as a traditional city bus. If a station doesn't have enough vehicles a call button could be pressed and a vehicle could drive over to the stop.

The monorail desperately needs an upgrade, the old Mark VIs are really starting to look worn out, something sleek looking like what DLR got would definitely give it that futuristic look it once had.
    They did upgrade the control panels on all the trains in 2007 though, at leas the cabin doesn't look like an old IBM machine with a few levers and buttons attached around it.
    Last edited by BandM; 02-04-2013 at 06:25 PM.

One thing that would improve the bus experience (and wouldn't involve too big of an investment in new infrastructure) would be to add screens at each stop telling when the next bus is expected, and/or add that info to the Disney apps. Plenty of city bus and rail systems are able to provide that information. When you have a wait of 10-15 minutes for a bus, it is much more pleasant if you know that a bus is in fact coming and you won't be stranded! I assume this is accomplished by having drivers check in to a system along their route to estimate arrival times.

It would also help if, for example, you are in Adventureland and about to leave the park, and you see on the app that your resort's bus will be arriving in 10 minutes, you'll know to hustle a bit to get there for that bus. In that same situation, if you see that the bus will arrive in 2 minutes, you know you can take your time leaving because you will have to wait for the following bus.

Of course, I'm sure that system (like all systems) would be less-than-perfect, and then people would just be on here complaining about wait times on the bus app being inaccurate

Perhaps the upcoming Magic Bands could be put to use in this respect by having people tap their band on a sensor when they get in line for the bus. That way the system could automatically be notified when there is a large line forming, and be triggered to send an extra bus. They could also be notified in advance of any disabled guests awaiting a bus, since that requires some extra time in loading and affects bus capacity.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Do Monorails , People Movers or PRT's close in lightning? Arent busses needed in case these options aren't available?

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    One thing that would improve the bus experience (and wouldn't involve too big of an investment in new infrastructure) would be to add screens at each stop telling when the next bus is expected, and/or add that info to the Disney apps. Plenty of city bus and rail systems are able to provide that information. When you have a wait of 10-15 minutes for a bus, it is much more pleasant if you know that a bus is in fact coming and you won't be stranded! I assume this is accomplished by having drivers check in to a system along their route to estimate arrival times.

It would also help if, for example, you are in Adventureland and about to leave the park, and you see on the app that your resort's bus will be arriving in 10 minutes, you'll know to hustle a bit to get there for that bus. In that same situation, if you see that the bus will arrive in 2 minutes, you know you can take your time leaving because you will have to wait for the following bus.

Of course, I'm sure that system (like all systems) would be less-than-perfect, and then people would just be on here complaining about wait times on the bus app being inaccurate

Perhaps the upcoming Magic Bands could be put to use in this respect by having people tap their band on a sensor when they get in line for the bus. That way the system could automatically be notified when there is a large line forming, and be triggered to send an extra bus. They could also be notified in advance of any disabled guests awaiting a bus, since that requires some extra time in loading and affects bus capacity.
    Now that's an interesting relatively inexpensive system that would make waiting for a bus in the hot Florida sun a lot more convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    Do Monorails , People Movers or PRT's close in lightning? Arent busses needed in case these options aren't available?
    If I'm not mistaken the monorail continues operation even when there's a thunderstorm and if it gets hit the shock is absorbed by the frame and gets grounded by the rubber tires.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Monitors that show estimated bus arrival times already exist at some WDW locations and will be slowly rolled out to all locations in the near future.
    -Bill

PRT is massively scalable to WDW's operations. A PeopleMover would actually have less capacity than PRT.

And yes, you'd need thousands of vehicles and large stations at the parks.

Having said this, the monorails from MK to the TTC would still be necessary.
    How can you argue that PRT has a higher capacity than a peoplemover? The Peoplemover always has a train in the station, much like an omnimover. There is never a gap where someone has to wait for a peoplemover train to arrive. How could you argue that there wouldn't be enough capacity?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

PRTs also always have a train in the station, and in high capacity situations, stations can load continuously, just like a PeopleMover. The difference is that final destinations are inputed into the computer of a PRT, unlike a PeopleMover which requires the eventual transfer and extra stops. The extra transfers and stops may not sound like much, but in the end they reduce capacity by limiting vehicles available for use in other areas... PRTs can deliver the guests, then re-distribute themselves depending on where the demand is the most prevalent.
    -Bill

Monitors that show estimated bus arrival times already exist at some WDW locations and will be slowly rolled out to all locations in the near future.

Oh, so you are talking about a true PRT system like at London Heathrow then? That would allow non-stop transportation from any 2 points in the resort. Interesting. I wonder if it is high enough capacity though?

• Disneyland 20 year APH

I don't think that these would have enough capacity just after Fireworks, Fantasmic, or Illiuminations but to do this between Hotels.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

I don't think Peoplemovers would work at WDW (too far between each hotel and park) but most definitely at DLR from the parking structure(s) to Downtown Disney. They could be elevated, like the original, and feature a turntable at each end for continuous loading. Requires many fewer cast members and no fuel other than electricity. The original roadway would still function for vehicles needed to carry handicapped or special needs guests. I'm amazed this wasn't installed when DLR expanded in 2001.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast