Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 134
  1. #76

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    39

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    Well if your PRT system worked so well you should be able to cut back on buses. After all your talking of replacing them with the system right?

    Buses are easy to maintain, much like your car. Wash them now and then, change the oil regularly and keep up with replacing worn parts. Its very easy to set up a schedule system to change out parts BEFORE they fail when you have such a large sampling to draw the data from on "when" they break. As mentioned above, cities, and towns do it all the time. Even some of the bigger Universities have there own fleets and have no trouble maintaining them.

    As I've said before, I've never had any trouble with the buses, and in my book that means it works. I think Disney could go a long way of clearing this bad reputaion some people give the bus system with a few tweaks.

    1, switch to a more eco-friendly fuel system. I do have to compliment Disney on their upkeep of these buses as I have not seen many spew that thick black diesel smoke a poorly tuned engine will. Switching to a hybrid, or a LP gas system would go a long way in the "publicity" department, making people happy, which goes a long way in having people be a bit more forgiving of little problems.

    2, The bus location information being made available to the public. I'm sure the buses are track with GPS. Either through phone apps, or a monitor at the bus stops displaying "count down clocks" for all the buses coming to that station. Knowing "when" the bus your waiting for is going to be there relieves all the anxiety and again relieve the tension of "not knowing".

    A few million dollars would add these two fixes and could make the bus fleet shine again.
    I don't know how you can justify that maintaining an aging fleet of gas-powered buses will be cheaper/easier than maintaining a new PRT system. PRT's don't use gas (which is getting more expensive by the day), and are virtually maintenance free. Plus, it's PERSONAL rapid transit. You get to ride in your own vehicle with your own group and get a non-stop trip to wherever you want to go. A bus system can"t even slightly compare. You pay way too much money to go to Disney World and have to waste precious park time having to wait for a crowded bus to take you to the parks.

  2. #77

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    39

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Hey guests viewing this post. Join Mice Chat and get in on the conversation! We would love to hear your opinion.

  3. #78

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,851

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    My thoughts? You miss the entire point of PRT completely. PRT works because it IS a end all final answer. It goes direct to your destination. No stops, no changing vehicles, and essentially can be scaled to accommodate an unlimited capacity.

    Now, I don't see the harm in having water transportation as well as PRT, but PRT has to connect everything to be effective.

    And buses less frequently to resorts? Are you mad? 20 minutes to wait for a bus is already too long, and you want to send them even less frequently? No one wants to wait that long, or should have to wait that long.
    1) thousands upon thousands of PRT vehicles would need to be stocked outside of parks to deal with rushes in the morning and at night in a timely fashion and unless they had separate above or bellow ground tracks they would still have to deal with clogged roads and intersections just like a bus would (and if you start building those it would lead to a rediculous cost for what are essentially a bunch of mini monorails or subways), all your doing in this particular situation is removing the human element which really doesn't make a difference in this particular scenario. in fact it could be even more dangerous as the PRT's could not react to driver error from opposing motorists unlike a bus driver leading to possible fatalities. the only way this makes even remote sense on a mass scale is if you create above or bellow ground travel and once you do that the price balloons insanely. PRT has a use but there is a limit to how big it can get and still work, WDW would exceed that limit by quite a bit. PRT cannot be feasibly scaled to fit an unlimited capacity, thats where the argument falls apart.

    2) everything is connected in this system, you just transfer modes of transportation and increase the frequency of those modes of transportation to reduce wait times which leads to...

    3) you send busses less frequently because less people are using them due to all the other transportation options. include a bus schedule in the welcome packet of the resort or display bus times somewhere in the lobby that way people wanting to go somewhere can take a boat or monorail in the spur of the moment with a short wait or they can schedule around grabbing a bus at a certain time. the busses can also be thrown in by dispatch at a moments notice for transportation overflow times, its a win win situation.

  4. #79

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,851

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by wsiirola View Post
    I don't know how you can justify that maintaining an aging fleet of gas-powered buses will be cheaper/easier than maintaining a new PRT system. PRT's don't use gas (which is getting more expensive by the day), and are virtually maintenance free. Plus, it's PERSONAL rapid transit. You get to ride in your own vehicle with your own group and get a non-stop trip to wherever you want to go. A bus system can"t even slightly compare. You pay way too much money to go to Disney World and have to waste precious park time having to wait for a crowded bus to take you to the parks.
    Some of the busses are aging, some are relatively new. they are constantly phasing in and out groups of busses throughout the years and eventually the fleet will contain an entire group of more eco-friendly busses, its just a matter of time. by the way what if your group is over the capacity of the PRT which is quite limited? so much for all traveling together. what about wheelchairs and scooters which are becoming very prevalent for one reason or another particularily in WDW. they have to stop and be assisted by a CM to be harnessed in and out of the vehicle causing delays in the system. on top of this what about the fact that the proposal they would just travel on the same roads as everyone else would actually clutter disney's already near to over capacity roads double what they are with all the busses your complaining about and the fact that intersections and traffic lights are a thing essentially eliminates them being any faster then the bus?

  5. #80

    • Disneyland 20 year APH
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brea, Ca
    Posts
    1,050

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    Your living in a pipe dream, they will NEVER spend this kind of money on a new system. They would put the money into some thing they will get a return on, rides, restaurants, and resort hotels.

    They already have a system in place that works well and is easy to maintain.

    Its sad that it ture. Why would WDWR try avoid the fact that they are ment to spend money to inspire us and to make the world awhh. Why would they want disapoint us to just save money. I think Disney would make alot more money if the upgrade the transport system. They would make more money than they did with the new Fantasyland and that would be easy.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

  6. #81

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    296

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by wsiirola View Post
    I don't know how you can justify that maintaining an aging fleet of gas-powered buses will be cheaper/easier than maintaining a new PRT system. PRT's don't use gas (which is getting more expensive by the day), and are virtually maintenance free. Plus, it's PERSONAL rapid transit. You get to ride in your own vehicle with your own group and get a non-stop trip to wherever you want to go. A bus system can"t even slightly compare. You pay way too much money to go to Disney World and have to waste precious park time having to wait for a crowded bus to take you to the parks.
    It is very easy to justify. The bus fleet isn't aging, it is replaced all the time. As they add new buses, old ones are phazed out. They did the same thing at the company I work for with there fleet of vans and delivery trucks. We would get a new vehicle every few years and get rid of the old ones with 2-3 hundred thousand miles on them. It's all about costs. When it come to the point your going to be putting more money into a vehicle than it would cost for a new one, you just get the new one.

    As for "wasting precious park time waiting for a bus" LOL!!! you wait in line longer to get your lunch!


    Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Its sad that it ture. Why would WDWR try avoid the fact that they are ment to spend money to inspire us and to make the world awhh. Why would they want disapoint us to just save money. I think Disney would make alot more money if the upgrade the transport system. They would make more money than they did with the new Fantasyland and that would be easy.
    I certainly wouldn't plan a new trip because Disney upgraded their transportation system. I would however jump on the band wagon to check out a new "land" update even if it was just a "re-furbish" of a popular ride. How big a jump in reservations do you think they would get if they announced a re-furb would be completed on CoP by such and such a date?

  7. #82

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    128

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

    But for some of us who grew up in large Midwestern cities
    associate buses with inexpensive urban transportation.
    Some who take buses do so because they can't afford cars.
    It's not the first thing that comes to mind when I think "Vacation Kingdom of the World."
    This, I think, gets to the root of most peoples' aversion to the bus system. It has less to do with the way the system is run and more to do with the general perception that "buses are for poor people." I would much rather see Disney invest money in new lands, rides and parks than in completely overhauling a transportation system that already works just because some people think it is not classy enough for them. Next people are going to want Disney to build a monorail to and from the airport so they don't have to ride a Magical Express bus. Then they'll want a Disney airline that will fly them down to FL on their own personal magic carpet.

    Those who think that buses are only for people who can't afford cars are welcome to rent a car while they are at WDW.

    Other systems - Monorail, Peoplemover - involve riding a loop of stops and possibly transferring loops, which would lengthen the trip and make it just as "inconvenient" as waiting 15 minutes for a direct bus.

    The PRT system is intriguing - it would be interesting to see Disney try it on a small scale. From what I have seen posted here, it doesn't look like it has ever been implemented on a scale nearly as large as a resort-wide WDW system would need to be, and I can't see them going "all-in" on something that hasn't been proven. The Animal Kingdom area has no transportation besides bus and car, so maybe that would be a good place to try it out.

  8. #83

    • Disneyland 20 year APH
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brea, Ca
    Posts
    1,050

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    The transport system could use alot of work. If you look back at the Florida Project film Disney was planing an airport for the property. It was not a bad idea. Now if Disney could build a transport system not only around the parks but to Olando international that would awsome...no more busess
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

  9. #84

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    296

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    The transport system could use alot of work. If you look back at the Florida Project film Disney was planing an airport for the property. It was not a bad idea. Now if Disney could build a transport system not only around the parks but to Olando international that would awsome...no more busess
    There is an airport on the property, tho it is used as a storage area now, Do you know where it is?

    The airport they mention tho was one they were going to build on the southern end of the property but it ran into too many blocks and was stopped.

  10. #85

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,851

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    There is an airport on the property, tho it is used as a storage area now, Do you know where it is?

    The airport they mention tho was one they were going to build on the southern end of the property but it ran into too many blocks and was stopped.
    well I'de say more air strip/runway then airport persay but yes it is still there.

  11. #86

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    1) thousands upon thousands of PRT vehicles would need to be stocked outside of parks to deal with rushes in the morning and at night in a timely fashion and unless they had separate above or bellow ground tracks they would still have to deal with clogged roads and intersections just like a bus would (and if you start building those it would lead to a rediculous cost for what are essentially a bunch of mini monorails or subways), all your doing in this particular situation is removing the human element which really doesn't make a difference in this particular scenario. in fact it could be even more dangerous as the PRT's could not react to driver error from opposing motorists unlike a bus driver leading to possible fatalities. the only way this makes even remote sense on a mass scale is if you create above or bellow ground travel and once you do that the price balloons insanely. PRT has a use but there is a limit to how big it can get and still work, WDW would exceed that limit by quite a bit. PRT cannot be feasibly scaled to fit an unlimited capacity, thats where the argument falls apart.
    You don't understand how PRT works. PRT uses its own tracks.

    And yes, it is unlimitedly scaleable... you are correct about having extra vehicles waiting in strategic locations around property to be dispatched as needed. That is true.
    Last edited by Bill; 02-09-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    -Bill

  12. #87

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    by the way what if your group is over the capacity of the PRT which is quite limited? so much for all traveling together. what about wheelchairs and scooters which are becoming very prevalent for one reason or another particularily in WDW. they have to stop and be assisted by a CM to be harnessed in and out of the vehicle causing delays in the system. on top of this what about the fact that the proposal they would just travel on the same roads as everyone else would actually clutter disney's already near to over capacity roads double what they are with all the busses your complaining about and the fact that intersections and traffic lights are a thing essentially eliminates them being any faster then the bus?
    PRT uses separate tracks, it does not use existing roads.
    PRT vehicles are flat with the station, no need for any problems with strollers, wheelchairs or ECVs, they all can board without any assistance.
    If your group is more than 6 people, you take two PRTs or stand. Big deal.
    -Bill

  13. #88

    •   
    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,665

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    I'd be all for it. The buses are just kind of a magic killer because well they are buses and ugly looking. I just rent a car when I am there now it's much easier and faster. It would be nice to have some sort of system that was efficient and maybe more magical.

  14. #89

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,851

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    You don't understand how PRT works. PRT uses its own tracks.

    And yes, it is unlimitedly scaleable... you are correct about having extra vehicles waiting in strategic locations around property to be dispatched as needed. That is true.
    Umm i can watch a video quit well lol. if you look at the Heathrow model for example, sure it was on its own "track" but it was just a miniature road and it was proposed by others in this very thread that they travel in designated roads as i suggested as one of your options for this system above. If that is the case then it would be subject to the same traffic that all cars and busses are currently facing making the systems efficiency essentially the same. furthermore any ground based PRT proposal would be subject to dealing with the roads and primarily intersections/traffic lights that are all ready in place, its not like you can just ban road traffic in Disney World. this then requires you (if you want the system to be more efficient then the busses) to build above ground track for the PRT and that blows its cost to a rediculous level. if the PRT has a totally uninterrupted plane to drive on then yes it is a very efficient system, however here that is not the case. In this proposal they would be nothing more then smaller busses with no drivers (and i like how you disregarded the issue of safety i posted above).

    Yes, it is mathematically possible to scale a PRT up for WDW but its not FEASIBLE. the thousands upon thousands of PRT that would need to be standing by for the night (for example after wishes, illuminations and fantasmic) would be absolutely insane. on top of that a loading platform is only so big and it takes time to get more PRT to the location and to load people on to said PRT (particularily people with special needs). By the time your done with all that the wait time is a very similar number to what busses have averaged today.

  15. #90

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,851

    Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    PRT uses separate tracks, it does not use existing roads.
    PRT vehicles are flat with the station, no need for any problems with strollers, wheelchairs or ECVs, they all can board without any assistance.
    If your group is more than 6 people, you take two PRTs or stand. Big deal.
    You cant just board people without assistance regardless of if its flat or not. the monorail is flat for example and yet they still are required by law to assist people with certain conditions. obviously strollers are not a problem but wheelchairs and ECV's need to be helped on and secured somehow to the inside of the vehicle. you cant just let them roll around all over the place, thats called a law suit.

    the main argument i was responding to above is that the best part of the system is you get personal travel with your group to the destination of your choice. if your group is over 6, you have maxed out the capacity, you cant just stand, and it has taken away fro one of the brighter points you mentioned. also another point, if your just a group of 2 say and theres an inevitable line to get to a certain location do say a family of 4 also get to go on that same PRT? all of a sudden it isn't Personal any more but if you don't let other parties on the same vehicle it isn't really Rapid Transit due to the lines created and the other issues addressed above. what a conundrum.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 07:39 AM
  2. Where in the (Disney) World?
    By Club 33 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 876
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 09:16 PM
  3. ***un-official Disney [World] Monorail Thread***
    By monorail_rider in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 02:35 PM
  4. No 'I'm going to Disney World' ads for the 2005 Super Bowl
    By Darkbeer in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 10:29 AM
  5. disney world map from the 70s
    By migitmouse88 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 01:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •