Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

I'm sick and tired of Disney World Bus Service.  Having to wait to get on a crowded bus to get back to your hotel or to park hop is ridiculous (and a waste of time). What do you think of Disney replacing the bus system with a large scale Peoplemover-like transport system? Imagine a full scale, high capacity people-mover that connects every single resort and park. This would eliminate the need for bus service and would be cheaper than extending the monorail. The Peoplemover would not necessarily need to be elevated (except where convenient) to reduce infrastructure costs. Since the Peoplemover vehicles have no engine on board, maintenance will be much more reliable. I can't imagine having to maintain and gas 200 buses that travel a combined 12 million miles a year. A Peoplemover would be clean, efficient, quiet, and definitely less expensive to operate than buses. Reducing maintenance costs and improving guest satisfaction seem like a good investment to me. Opinions?

• -

Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

Really, I felt waiting for the buses wasn't that bad. I like the peoplemover idea (especially since Disney World is the only place I can ride it now) but I think it would still have enormous construction costs even if it isn't elevated. They would need to figure out how it will intersect with roadways and have to worry about folliage clearance and land grading. Ground level is not as inexpensive as it sounds.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Re: Peoplemover as a viable alternative to horrendous Disney World Bus Service???

wsiirola, Brilliant. That is the best idea i have heard for a long time. Disney should send you a check for that...I do think the whole bus idea is not up to Disney Standards. Even here in CA we have buses hauling people over from Toy Story Parkinglot because city of Anahiem does not like trams being on city streets (what ever) If Disney would spend the money for a people mover system if it being a two-way or a round trip type it would get my stamp of approvel. Just one thing Disneyland tires or Magic Mingdom Magnet?
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

The original plan for WDW had the monorail going to the Disney Village aka downtown Disney. And then having the people mover connect to each hotel
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I doubt it would be all that much cheaper. As the people mover is a line of cars dragged by a single motor, much like the attraction rides. There wouldn't be a motor large enough to pull the larger cars over the longer distances between hotel and and parks. That means there would have to be transfer stations to shorten up the tracks. Maintenance would be just as high as the buses seeing you would have to maintain the tracks as well as the cars. What would you do if a line broke down? With buses you just call another, with a people mover your stuck. While it sounds "neat" I'm sure it could turn out much worst than what they have now.

I haven't had a problem with the buses. Of course I time my rides so I'm not trying to catch one right after the fireworks are done at the Magic Kingdom either. I was running late getting back from DTD when I had to catch the bus back to the airport. We explained to the driver, and she got the ok to re-route her run (first stop last, last stop first) so we could get back in time.

I think the biggest thing is if you don't expect "miricles" you will never be disappointed. And when you do get a miricle you'll appreciate it a bit more.

• Under that tree again!

I don't mind the buses. I think for everyone who has had one of those hour long waits, a bus must of broken down and they are unlucky. I've rarely had to wait for a second bus, and never for more than 20 minutes, unless going to DTD.

I would like a monorail that goes park to park, to make hopping easier.

Thanks brianpinsky. I'm in engineering school now, working on becoming an Imagineer, and that would definitely be one of my first proposals. I never got a chance to experience the tires as I was too young, but I would have to think the magnets would be the better option. I'm sure the peoplemover would need to run at a somewhat high speed...maybe 30 or 40 miles per hour. I know the tires only maxed out at 7 mph but I know that magnets can hit high speeds (take Screamin' for example). I know that cost is an issue, but it is a one time investment that makes a lot of sense in the long run. The TTA has lasted for 38 years so we know it will be durable.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    I doubt it would be all that much cheaper. As the people mover is a line of cars dragged by a single motor, much like the attraction rides. There wouldn't be a motor large enough to pull the larger cars over the longer distances between hotel and and parks. That means there would have to be transfer stations to shorten up the tracks. Maintenance would be just as high as the buses seeing you would have to maintain the tracks as well as the cars. What would you do if a line broke down? With buses you just call another, with a people mover your stuck. While it sounds "neat" I'm sure it could turn out much worst than what they have now.
    That's not at all how the Peoplemover works.

The linear induction system is probably the better option. It seems like it would be much lower maintenance than having to replace all those tires. As Orac-1 taught me, the people mover in the Magic Kingdom travels at 10mph but is capable of reaching speeds up to 40mph. This is the same speed that the monorail travels, so it is perfectly capable of traveling similar distances in a reasonable amount of time.

I've read that the Magic Kingdom people mover had to be built level because it wasn't able to handle grade. However, I have seen model linear induction trains that are able to handle grades up to 20 degrees. Hopefully this would mean that if the problem did exist it is now a thing of the past.

As for breakdowns, I believe the Magic Kingdom people mover can still run with up to a third of the motors not working. Clearly if they were all in the same place it would be a bigger issue. The point is a third of the motors being down is a lot. You would have to have some pretty poor maintenance to let something like that happen, and Disney would never be that lax ...right?

A Peoplemover system may not be able to completely replace buses but they could greatly reduce the reliance on them. They also carry a good deal of novelty that people expect when they visit Disney theme parks.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by wsiirola View Post
    Thanks brianpinsky. I'm in engineering school now, working on becoming an Imagineer, and that would definitely be one of my first proposals. I never got a chance to experience the tires as I was too young, but I would have to think the magnets would be the better option. I'm sure the peoplemover would need to run at a somewhat high speed...maybe 30 or 40 miles per hour. I know the tires only maxed out at 7 mph but I know that magnets can hit high speeds (take Screamin' for example). I know that cost is an issue, but it is a one time investment that makes a lot of sense in the long run. The TTA has lasted for 38 years so we know it will be durable.
    I am too thinking of Engineering in my future but I would also bring the track indoors like the have the monorail at Orlando Airport. This would help to prevent much weather damage. The subs here at DL are also magnet run track with power/magnet transfer (no wires) That might work better my concern with the magnets is the don't work up hill that why TTA is flat where DLs was all hills. If they could build a combo system so the could get the cars along the flat portions to go with magnets and then trasfer to tiers when there is a hilled portion. also you could run tires along the entire track as well incase one system goes down the other still runs. My main problem is guest control. If they feel that there is no one watching them...there might be some teen-age issues going on. I feel if it was a two-way track then guests would be viewed constantly by other guests. So it would be a self-supervsion. Ofcoarse its still going to happen so cameras will work on late night runs in middel of nowhere on property. The system would not have to go north of Epcot and place a station at Epcot and extend a monorail (oneway-return (only one train need to run on the same line back and forth (We had this for a while at DL when they were redoing Subs and track had to replaced, it work for the most part))) to wilderness and you get a suped-up system.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Mr Test Track

I want to make this short and sweet.
    Expand the monorail for two more lines. DD line that goes to DD, Saratoga springs, and ends in Epcot. Make another theme parks line that goes to DAK, DHS, and Animal Kingdom Lodge. That would greatly reduce the isolation oo DAK and the lodge. They would make an Epcot transportation central where the current monorail there is. It would be just like the TTC.
    I guess that wasn't so short and sweet after all.

• Mostly Harmless.

Just want to point out that WDI did build a people mover at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston. Inter-terminal train (George Bush Intercontinental Airport) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Bottom line is MONEY. As long as there are visitors defending how they don't mind taking busses all over Disney World, that will be management's excuse not to expand the monorails. The Bus system alone is probably the 2nd reason why the few times we have visited Disney World, we have decided against staying at a Disney hotel. The first reason being finding better quality non-disney hotels at lower prices, which affords us to spend on other things we much rather have, like a rental car or be able to visit other places in Orlando.

There is something so... un-magical about taking a crowded bus to/from a Disney park.

• Inappropriate

Oh man, I just wrote a blog post about this, and then came here and found this thread. Awesome. I think it could work, if Disney was willing to buckle down and pay for it. But they're not. As Coastie stated above, they did build one at the Houston airport, and that one seems to work for them. Even if Disney started small and only built lines from a few hotels, it would cut down on the city buses and show off the feasibility of the technology.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

How I would personally have laid out Disney World is the following:

1 GIANT TTC... a giant complex that would have 4 massive marking structures, with one entrance and one exit (think MK parking lot, but parking building)

I would then have monorails dispatching to the different resort areas MK, Epcot, DTD, and DAK

At their respective destinations at the resort areas you would simply catch a People Mover to your respective resort.

The large TTC would also be a giant DTD complex so that then you had to change trains you would be walking through a highly themed retail environment. (think CityWalk in Hollywood)

Also with this plan all parking at the parks would be removed. The land would either be turned back into wilderness area, or a resort or another park.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    How I would personally have laid out Disney World is the following:
    Back when Walt was planning WDW, it was going to be MK and a centrally planned city, EPCOT.

Post Walt Epcot them park was built and used a central parking lot and monorail between the parks.

Then Eisner came in and WDW expanded greatly, in a semi random way making use of the big area to spread things out.

Pretty much now, it's too late to build a true central parking lot, and simple layout to make and efficient transportation system.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast