Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Nets of Life... err Nets around the Tree of Life

the worst part i think of all this is it totally affects the mood of the whole place. if you walked through before and after the netting you will know exactly what i mean. it used to look so natural and it really set the mood and feel of an authentic setting regardless of how fantastical the concept was. this was done to perfection, unlike arguably anywhere else in WDW with the lead up from the oasis (shout out to Joe Rhode and imagineering for that). with the installation of the nets and unthemed green walls it instantly takes away from the natural and adds an overwhelming "human" element to the place, the effect is gone in my opinion. a real shame. hopefully they can resolve this problem once and for all but i doubt they will for some time, it will take a truly catastrophic failure to happen before they take any real action.

• Minion

ORDDU: When my sisters and I first learned about the netting going up for protection, we just assumed it would be a temporary fix until the real problem was addressed. From what we're reading, here, it seems as though the temporary fix is the only fix they ever intended to make. How sad is that???

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

and this ladies and gents is part of the reason why we skipped Animal Kingdom last week...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Shubisha

for reference sake.. do we know how heavy the piece that fell was? I remember it not really being that big. Now yes, we're concerned that maybe the whole thing is falling apart.. But let's assume that Disney was overly protective on it and did every possible structure scan they could and came to the conclusion that a super-heavy piece collapsing is still not something that's going to happen, and that these nets are to prevent the rare offchance of another small piece coming undone somehow.. Are they acceptable then?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    for reference sake.. do we know how heavy the piece that fell was? I remember it not really being that big. Now yes, we're concerned that maybe the whole thing is falling apart.. But let's assume that Disney was overly protective on it and did every possible structure scan they could and came to the conclusion that a super-heavy piece collapsing is still not something that's going to happen, and that these nets are to prevent the rare offchance of another small piece coming undone somehow.. Are they acceptable then?
    If it MUST be a permanent proactive protection measure... these nets are NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

There are so many ways these could have been built and themed to reflect the beauty of the tree of life if they must ALWAYS be there... one way would be spider web... another would be vines.

This cheap nylon rope with home depot wood screams temporary, and quick.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• 5 Star

I'd have to agree with those above, I think the issue is as much about principle as it is safety here. The company could have scoured the whole tree and check for loose material, but it put up a net and called it a day. In their mind it's a quick fix that theoretically protects guests and doesn't cost money. The tree is like one giant Everest Yeti.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Poor Animal Kingdom has Disco Yeti and the crumbling tree

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Sigh. I know I'm outgunned here, but here's my opinion anyway. A complicated structure like the Tree has a problem, and Disney "fixes" it by putting up the netting, giving them at least the time to consider a more permanent fix. And in the long run, facing the prospect of tearing the tree apart in plain view of many months worth of guests, it's decided to just let it go for now and see if the problem gets worse. It's too bad the problem happened in the first place. But they've made what seems to me to be the only solution short of shutting things down and ripping them apart (the same dilemma that's preventing a yeti fix).

Do I like it? Of course not. But I understand how Disney sometimes has to pick the lesser of the evils, to do a quick fix and keep the attractions running. And to be completely honest, I kinda liked the vibe of the netting. It felt more like I was going down underground the closer I got to the theater. If I didn't know what the deal was or why the webbing was there, I'm almost positive that I wouldn't care in the least.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Sigh. I know I'm outgunned here, but here's my opinion anyway. A complicated structure like the Tree has a problem, and Disney "fixes" it by putting up the netting, giving them at least the time to consider a more permanent fix. And in the long run, facing the prospect of tearing the tree apart in plain view of many months worth of guests, it's decided to just let it go for now and see if the problem gets worse. It's too bad the problem happened in the first place. But they've made what seems to me to be the only solution short of shutting things down and ripping them apart (the same dilemma that's preventing a yeti fix).

Do I like it? Of course not. But I understand how Disney sometimes has to pick the lesser of the evils, to do a quick fix and keep the attractions running. And to be completely honest, I kinda liked the vibe of the netting. It felt more like I was going down underground the closer I got to the theater. If I didn't know what the deal was or why the webbing was there, I'm almost positive that I wouldn't care in the least.
    If I pay a premium price, I expect a premium experience.

• Johnny and Me!

One of the things I enjoyed the most on my last visit to Animal Kingdom was exploring the paths around the Tree, even the smaller ones. Looks like I can't do that anymore.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    One of the things I enjoyed the most on my last visit to Animal Kingdom was exploring the paths around the Tree, even the smaller ones. Looks like I can't do that anymore.
    No you can't. It broke my heart, because I would spend an hour or two just wandering around the tree of life.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    No you can't. It broke my heart, because I would spend an hour or two just wandering around the tree of life.
    I know what you mean. Thanks for this report.

I was last in WDW in April of 2012, just before this happened. When I put together a trip report, I noted that my favorite experience at the World was simply exploring the Tree of Life pathways - admiring the craft that went into sculpting it, the landscaping, the living animals, the waterfalls, looking up at it in awe - and all this with virtually zero other human beings on the paths - and in the middle of the day on one of the more crowded weekends of the year. Again, it was, for my money, one of the very best things about WDW - a private world wonder.

For me, it is agonizing to know that this experience is now extinct (for the foreseeable future), and I am in no rush to return to WDW until it is resurrected.

To relive a portion of it:
    Tree of Life (Walk-Through) Disney's Animal Kingdom - Walt Disney World Orlando - YouTube

• Shubisha

Well you take the good, you take the bad, you mix it up and there you have the nets of life.

• Bearing with the bears

Honestly I really don't mind, is it a shame it had to be done? Yes. Is it the most horrible thing since Stich's Great Escape? No.
    Larger chunks aren't going to start falling just because one weak spot fell.

•   
    • Minion

Well since i work for a huge company I guess I give leeway to things like this. My stance is if this is the permanent fix then it plain sucks. If this is temporary until they can fix it then i'm ok with it.

If their company runs like mine it takes for ever to get anything done which means people here will complain about it forever until it is fixed. What I am saying is maybe they have a plan but they need to go through whatever internal process they have in order to get it implemented. My company has been working on projects that take years to even implement due to resources like money, time, and logistics. I know it's a lot for die hard fans to understand but sometimes things take time.

Now if the Disco yeti is any indication of how long it takes to fix something at WdW then we may have no hope although I see the two situations as different considering they have come out and said fixing the yeti would require a huge downtime and reconstruction. If they decided to fix the Yeti wasn't the predicted downtime like a year? There is no way they could afford to do that when the attraction satisfies the general public not us die hards. Would that be acceptable to us to have it down that long? What if to fix the tree of life it would be to rip it down and build a new one and it takes 2 years would we be ok with that? The main fact here is we don't know what is being discussed or what options there are to fix the tree of life so for us to judge so quickly seems a bit premature. At least they didn't just rip out the whole thing a s precaution or would that have been better than the netting?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast