Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
    • Seasick

Re: Does it bother any1 else to criticize WDW?

I have no problem criticising and looking at the parks with a critical eye sometimes. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy them or have a good time.

Everything in this life has positive and negative aspects to it. The people who say "I just have a good time and don't notice anything bad" are no different than people who only see the negative. I think the former outweigh the latter however.

When you go to Wizarding World and are blown away, and then realize the newest offerings at WDW are a coaster with a broken animatronic and a so-so dark ride with Nemo, how do you NOT realize that WDW could be so much beter?

Yes, go and have fun. Yes, don't complain about every little piece of chipped paint. But Yes, absolutely yes, voice your concerns that WDW is not living up to it's magnificent legacy.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Super Old Guy

I don't so much mind the criticizing and critiquing, as sometimes there are flaws that just need to be pointed out. What bothers me is the amazing level of hyperbole that usually follows. Someone points out that, say, there's an area of the MK where the paint is chipped. And then the next umpteen posts are all "SEE? That's what's so HORRIBLE about Disney and there's absolutely NOTHING good there and I'LL NEVER SET FOOT INSIDE A DISNEY PARK AGAIN!!!", etc. That kinda crap gets really old . . .

• Sock Puppet

I am in favor of constructive criticism, as long as we also give credit where credit is due. If we offer praise when Disney does something right, maybe they won't tune us out.

• former CM

The Al Lutz update today was depressing. I hope they don't really build another Radiator Springs Racers at WDW. So I'm not excited about that.

Not excited about Avatar, though I might be if the folks who made Universals updated Spiderman ride or Transformers attraction were making the Avatar ride, and if the Imagineers who made Universal's WWoHP were making WDW's Pandora. I'm concerned that Rasulo/Iger/Staggs/Crofton (the RISC group is risk averse) will cheap out, though I'm confident James Cameron would destroy this rather than compromise.

I'm not "excited" excited about the dwarf coaster. It's too small to make me excited. I expect to go on it and say, "That was pretty good!" Wow.

I'm certainly not excited about Thomas Staggs' $800,000,000 MyMagic+ Famcuff bracelets.

I'm not excited about transportation within WDW. Nothing new here.

It doesn't bother me to criticize the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim because I don't have any major or even moderate criticisms of the Disneyland Resort at this time.

The only theme park development I'm really excited about is the WWoHP coming to Universal Hollywood, but they haven't even broken ground on that. Will it have a Diagon Alley with a Gringott's ride?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-13-2013 at 11:49 AM.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

IT'S HUGELY IMPORTANT THAT WE AS PAYING DISNEY PARKS FANS VOICE THESE COMPLAINTS TO DISNEY

I too find it a little difficult criticizing the parks at WDW because I am a Disney superfan/geek. And I empathize with you jcruise because when I was younger and went to the parks in the late 80s and early 90s and remember them being awesome. I've been back to WDW twice in the last three years and am going back in May and in these last two trips it's become very apparent that, at least for me, that all four of the parks in Orlando are good, but not amazing. In comparison, I think Disneyland is a 10, where I rank all the WDW parks around 6's or 7's. As everyone has mentioned, the WDW parks need more updates, refurbishments, etc. Seeing as Disney has so much damn money and continues to raise park fees, it drives me nuts that they haven't done more to upkeep the parks, and improve DHS, etc. I'm looking forward to New Fantasyland, and I applaud them for doing that project. But my message is this: we need to complain to the right people. Disney needs to hear about our issues with the WDW parks and very importantly they need to hear about it from a LARGE NUMBER of people so that someone will actually take notice and at least bring it up at a meeting, lol.

• Minion

It bugs me not just when people criticize WDW but Orlando as a whole...seeing as I live there now, that can be kind of annoying

I used to live in Southern California and still spend a good amount of time there and will hit up Disneyland for a few days staying at the GCH and enjoying the resort for all its differences to WDW. It definitely has its pluses and we love our vacations there! We also enjoy WDW quite a bit but we can see where it has its flaws.

That being said, DLR isn't perfect either. I have business on Harbor Blvd so it's nice to visit DL, but it's not like my family vacations there specifically because it's better than WDW. I think the issue with this site is (as someone once put it) it's more of an East Coast vs West Coast deal. Everyone wants to defend their home park to sort of give their location a greater sense of 'value'. And obviously since this is a West Coast-based site, there will be more of that in DL's favor.

Honestly, I just kinda take it for what it is (people representing their park) and don't let it get too bad unless it gets carried away (seriously, WDW isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, and I feel comfortable saying that since I probably spend more time there than most people here do while also getting quite a bit of DL each year to compare it to). The only thing that really really bugs me is people calling out Orlando because I like it better here than in SoCal. But other than that, I just let the WDW complainers do their thing, of course they'll be critical of the park they can't go to as often because then they would feel like they're missing out.

• Seed and Mulch

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    It did for a while... now it feels like my duty
    Co-sign.

• i believe in faeries.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I don't so much mind the criticizing and critiquing, as sometimes there are flaws that just need to be pointed out. What bothers me is the amazing level of hyperbole that usually follows. Someone points out that, say, there's an area of the MK where the paint is chipped. And then the next umpteen posts are all "SEE? That's what's so HORRIBLE about Disney and there's absolutely NOTHING good there and I'LL NEVER SET FOOT INSIDE A DISNEY PARK AGAIN!!!", etc. That kinda crap gets really old . . .
    ^agreed. i think there's a huge difference. it's comparable to sending back your food in a restaurant when it arrives cold, or belittling and screaming at the waitress. if something is not right, it could and should be fixed, but flipping out and overreacting is completely unneccesary, imo.

To criticize or not? And how does that feel personally? Good question! Made me think and reflect quite a bit. I'm highly critical now and in the crowd that would count lightbulb outages, but it doesn't make me feel bad (I think at least - this is highly theoretical for me also, as I haven't been there in some time).

I think earlier on in life, if this were ten or fifteen years ago, I probably would have fallen into the other camps on this - either the mostly quiet one, or occasionally voicing concerns but also feeling bad about it...(or it could have ended up like my SW prequels experience, wherein, what started with good intentions led to me becoming so upset after being so harshly critical for too long that I nearly lost sight of the fact that I loved SW in the first place and that that's where it all came from! - yeah...I wasn't thinking so much at the time - the dark side had me in its grip and I was all emotions over it for about three years...oops on that is my comment on myself looking back). Where I'm at now in life, though, I'm able to have serious complaints about something I love without it making me sad or unable to still enjoy whatever it is.

I must admit too, I'm very (very) new here (only signed up for forums today), and I've been reading for a little while and think its fantastic that so many passionate Disney fanatics are all in one place and I can say I enjoy the heart-felt and highly detailed (down to the smallest little details) criticisms of WDW just as much as I enjoy the equally highly detailed and non-critical trip reports, photos, personal stories and memories that are present. I can tell that all of it (whether negative or positive) is all coming from a deep and abiding love of WDW and Walt Disney and his legacy. I'd go so far as to put forward that being protective of and serving that legacy includes both types of love for Disney - both the 'hard' love that we see from some contributors as well as the softer kind we get from others.

I might have to revise my answer to this question after going back in April for the first time after 14 years though - that will be the true test as I bet I'll see some things I don't like and only after doing so for real and in person will I know for sure how I'll feel about being critical (which I know I will be...)

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    No, it doesn't bother me to criticize. I have an active mind, and evaluating the things I care about is one of its most natural uses.
    This! I don't go into some sort of stupor just because I've walked through a turnstile. I like to think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12