Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Bad News Imagination fans

Quote Originally Posted by edward1978 View Post
    Oh yes it a nope, because I hated your idea for JII. Now with Tony Baxter retiring, how in the world are you going to bring back a ride in which you have no knowledge of, now I have no knowledge of how the original JII was built, neither do you or anybody else except maybe for a few imagineers. I sure do wish time travel to the past was possible, so that I and many others could all ride the original Epcot rides including the original JII.
    lol so your "settling" for something you "hate"? this seems like a rather odd position to take, why not be open to an option you would find more appealing then pure hatred, I'm sure that would exist somewhere. honestly i just think we should take a deep breath and realize at the end of the day its just a theme park attraction, not that big of a deal fights need to break out and riots occur in the streets.

• failure for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by edward1978 View Post
    Nope, I used to disagree with you because I wanted the original JII back so badly, but now that Tony Baxter has jumped ship, now we'll never get the original back, can't be done without his guidance. Now I will have to settle for what you have been wanting, something in loving spirit of the original.
    Luckily, the Imagineers have this new technology called "blueprints" and "writing stuff down". It helps them so they can remember information later if they ever need it.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

Quote Originally Posted by manifest View Post
    Luckily, the Imagineers have this new technology called "blueprints" and "writing stuff down". It helps them so they can remember information later if they ever need it.
    Have you ever gone to Document Control and looked at prints that were 30 years old? They didn't maintain them very well and especially with all the changes they made and some got updated and others didn't and contractors writing on them. Then about 10 years ago they decided to copy everything and put it online but those copies were in bad condition also.

• failure for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by DRSeeker View Post
    Have you ever gone to Document Control and looked at prints that were 30 years old? They didn't maintain them very well and especially with all the changes they made and some got updated and others didn't and contractors writing on them. Then about 10 years ago they decided to copy everything and put it online but those copies were in bad condition also.
    I did not know that. Wow, that totally sucks!
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I went to Sun Trust a number of years ago to pull the back story to Big Thunder Mountain, and it was in terrible condition.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Roller coaster enthusiast

^Wow, you'd think that WDW would take better care of their documents.
    Current coaster count: 166
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags over Georgia

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Ya what is is Disney thinking?? Not taking care of their documents. That's ridiculous. Well all I hope is that Journey Into Imagination will have a better future. "A dream can be a dream come true with just that spark, in me and you"

Is there ever a line for the current Imagination? I've only ever been during the off season, during which it always looks like a ghost town. I still say bring it back and the two story Image Works too!
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

I miss old Epcot dearly. I only ever really went there during the heyday other than once in 99 and focused mostly on the world showcase on that trip. Granted, some Future World stalwarts were still present (and still are), but at this point, even if they had somehow kept it all over the last 30 years, it wouldn't be good enough without new attractions, updates, and innoventions in the old Disney style in terms of how one approaches theme parks (though I must admit - retro Epcot beats current Epcot by a lot - I'll take Horizons and World of Motion and old JII over Test Track, no Horizons, and a JII update that goes backwards instead of forward).

Part of me (as anti-nostalgic as this would be) would say to just redo Future World completely with a Star Wars theme with some more generic sci-fi/fantasy-futuristic touches and attractions sprinkled in, leave the World Showcase as is...and watch the turnstiles turn faster than they have in years. I'd miss the remnants of the old Future World that were such a part of my childhood...but I'd then have a Star Wars park which would likely more than make up for that and also play to my inner child, being a child of the 70s and 80s as I was. Forget Avatar land...and don't put Endor in its place in DAK. Instead, build it on the bones of Future World and erase some of the pain we experience seeing it wither on the vine year after year by changing the whole place into something vital again. It sounds as if I am saying put Future World out of its misery - and in one sense, it would be that, but at the same time, a reincarnation if not exactly a resurrection, and the birth of something new.

I do suspect though, we'll probably just get a few small rides, attractions, or a mini-land or two for SW over the next decade, but I hope (and here I try to save myself from going TOO off-topic and coming back full-circle a bit) hope hope, someone at Disney exercises the same kind of imagination the original version of JII pays homage to and celebrates when it comes to trying to figure out what to do with either Future World or SW in terms of adding it to the them parks.

• Mouseketeer

Do you think the prints for modern attractions are kept in any better shape? Generally not.

There's enough old prints and other documentation lying around to provide the information needed for a new version of JII. From a backstage viewpoint, you would not want an exact duplicate of a 30 year old attraction. Even without prints there's plenty of people at Disney who are creative and clever enough to get the same onstage feel. They just need the right upper management support, which is unlikely to come.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    Do you think the prints for modern attractions are kept in any better shape? Generally not.
    If that's true that's kind of surprising considering the insane degree of care and preservation that goes into their film history in the Disney Archives. I would have thought theme park material would have received the same treatment.

• Mouseketeer

There is a digital record for prints just as old prints probably have micro film backup.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

It breaks my heart to hear reports of EPCOT (I don't think I could ever spell it differently) being in such bad shape. My parents took me and my brother in 1985 to Walt Disney World. Most of the week we spent there was spent in EPCOT. The Magic Kingdom was too much like Disneyland to us (we only live minutes from it.) but EPCOT was something else. I loved the Land Pavilion with the boat ride and Kitchen Kaberat. I rode Horizons six times. My brother and I threw huge fits until we each got a Figment doll of our own. ($9 for a 12 inch plush!) World Showcase opened up the world to me and I got experience all sorts of different food. The shops were like nothing I had ever seen. (If only I realized the Japan shop was selling Tokyo Disney plush!!!)
    EPCOT cemented my love for Disney. When I finally got back to EPCOT in 1998 (I HAD to go there first) it was like visiting an old friend. Yet, Food Rocks wasn't nearly as good, Living Seas-which was under construction during my first visit was disappointing, (not quite sure what I was expecting), and the cool Tokyo Disney merchandise was replaced with Hello Kitty. Really? I can get HK anywhere. Even then there were signs.
    Sigh. I know I will return to WDW someday and I hope when I do, there will still be signs of the EPCOT I know and love.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Today just happens to be the original Journey Into Imagination's 30th birthday. There's a nice little article over on the Disney Parks Blog about it. I suggest everyone head over and share some fond memories.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

30 Years of Journey Into Imagination. Truly it is The Simpsons of Epcot rides: It was once a glorious and wonderful thing, but now, it has spent more time being pretty lame and mediocre then it has being great.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast