Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Re: Bad News Imagination fans

Yep I watched the ultimate tribute video on YouTube to celebrate. It made me feel so happy. Dreamfinder & Figment always cheer me up and make me feel happy when I watch videos and see pictures of them online. I hope someday to go to EPCOT center. And I'll be sure to bring my Figment hand puppet along with me.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    1. Why did they ever change the Imagination ride in the first place from the attraction we all supposedly loved? Maintenance issues? A dip in rider attendance?
    From what I know, the biggest nail in the coffin for the original Imagination was... the turntable. For those who don't know, the opening scene where we met Dreamfinder in his flying contraption was one of 5 identical scenes that rotated on a giant turntable before spitting you out into the rest of the ride. It was a really neat affect but a problem was once you left the turntable scene, the train of cars was supposed to join back up with others as the ride system was a sort of Omnimover hybrid (the cars would break apart into smaller trains during the turntable scene). They had trouble with this even before the ride opened (and is one of the reasons why the ride was delayed for 5 months and didn't open with the park in 1982. It plagued the ride throughout its run. Also, apparently the turntable was so large and heavy (foundation for it was one of the first things built - the show building was built around it it was that massive) that it started sinking into the ground. However, when they redid the ride, Imagineers decided it was too expensive to try to remove the turntable, so they just built around it.

Another nail in the coffin was Kodak's sponsorship. From what's known, in Kodak's sponsorship contract, it apparently stated that after a certain number of years, Disney was to change the ride.

HOWEVER... Back in 2010 when Captain EO came back, some Imagineers were interviewed by media/blogs and they were asked about the Imagination ride. They stated they had some BIG plans for it, but were not at liberty to say what those plans were. So don't give up hope yet. Hopefully whatever these plans are, are something good and will eventually get green-lighted. It just sucks that TDO are a bunch of penny-pinching grinches. I saw the blog post on the Disney Parks blog about the 30th anniversary of Imagination and pretty much EVERY SINGLE COMMENT stated "Bring back Dreamfinder!" and/or "Bring back an updated version of the original ride!"

"but i just think things are on the upturn more then the downturn."

I'm new to chatting in forums, so please bear with me. I, unfortunately, know very little of the "old" EPCOT. Distinct childhood memories and badly-lit Youtube videos are all I have. I have always loved the park, especially Future World. The challenge lays in how do you continue to educate in innovative ways when everything is constantly changing? The way kids interact with one another is radically different year to year. Creating educational attractions that appeal to all generations? That's one heck of a challenge. Especially when trying to make relevance cost-effective. But I have to believe that the potential still exists. I agree, we're on the upturn.
    I do think that interactive is the right way to go. I always fancied an interactive Figment/Dreamfinder experience that follows you throughout FW. Something kind of along the lines of Kim Possible, but not exactly. The idea of imagination is what ties innovation, the future, progress, all of it together for me. Taking those characters and ideals out of the context of a single ride- I would adore it.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Mouse Kisses, welcome to the forum - an excellent and well thought out post!

Thanks for the link, Dapper Dan! I loved the photos and decided to post on the Disney Parks Blog. Sadly, my post does not appear on the site. Here is something similar to what I wrote (I unfortunately did not think to copy the original).

"My goodness, what wonderful pictures, bringing back so many memories. Happy Birthday to Figment and Dreamfinder. The sad closing of this original ride was one of the few times my mom wrote a letter, both to Disney and Kodak, urging them to reconsider their decision.

The original Future World of Epcot was filled with Hope and Imagination. My wish is to see the return of this throughout Epcot, perhaps in time for my baby to enjoy during his childhood. Disney, please make all of our dreams come true and bring back the original Journey into Imagination!"

Can anyone tell me why this wasn't posted? I really didn't think it was too radical and it certainly wasn't inappropriate. We'll keep on trying for (as someone so aptly said) tomorrow's child to know the delight of Figment spreading the joy of imagination.
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    From what I know, the biggest nail in the coffin for the original Imagination was... the turntable.

Another nail in the coffin was Kodak's sponsorship. From what's known, in Kodak's sponsorship contract, it apparently stated that after a certain number of years, Disney was to change the ride.
    While the turntable and the clause in Kodak's contract were certainly part of the original attraction's demise, it may have been replaced for a more devious reason.
    From what I've read (I think it was "Realityland" by David Koenig), when Honey, I Shrunk the Audience opened, JII was one of the most popular attractions in the park. People would usually visit HISTA last because of how the pavillion was laid out, and the low attendance to the 3D theater showed this. In order to force Dreamfinder and Figment out, management switched the queue lines for HISTA and JII. JII's attendance plummeted, and HISTA suddenly became popular. Management then showed the attendance figures to Kodak, pointed out the clause in their contract, and had them fast-track the 1998 refurbisment.
    I don't know if this is true or not, but it makes a great story! Can anyone provide more information about this, or is it just a rumor?
    Last edited by MickeyM; 03-07-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda View Post
    Can anyone tell me why this wasn't posted? I really didn't think it was too radical and it certainly wasn't inappropriate. We'll keep on trying for (as someone so aptly said) tomorrow's child to know the delight of Figment spreading the joy of imagination.
    While your comment was not inappropriate, the Parks Blog moderators are notoriously strict about what is and isn't posted publicly in the comments. If a comment even insinuates that something today is worse than it was in the past, it won't be posted. They may have viewed your comment to suggest that present-day Epcot is not better than past Epcot.
    I also have a feeling that the comments aimster referred to about bringing back the original ride were just fanservice.

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

I said it before and I'll say it again! Disney should bring back a new restored modernized version of the original Imagination for me and the other fans who got to see it and never got to see it (such as myself). Keep the ride the original except with modern animatronics, lighting, restored soundtrack,etc,a new trackless system maybe, and open up the old Imageworks again maybe adding some of the new activities like create your own Figment. I like that one

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    While your comment was not inappropriate, the Parks Blog moderators are notoriously strict about what is and isn't posted publicly in the comments. If a comment even insinuates that something today is worse than it was in the past, it won't be posted. They may have viewed your comment to suggest that present-day Epcot is not better than past Epcot.
    I also have a feeling that the comments aimster referred to about bringing back the original ride were just fanservice.
    I just created a thread asking a question about what current attractions would some people like to see removed, perhaps in favor of an older attraction. Its basically the opposite of wsiirola's thread. I hope I didn't cross any lines by making that thread & posing the question. I did it before seeing your post here.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Today with modern technology WDI could build a great new JII. Id love to see the turntable/omnimover set replaced with Hunny Hunt trackless technology for example to create something similar to the original

• New Member Goes Forth

That is a shame

Hopefully, there are good things in the future for the Disney parks
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Mouseketeer

A lot of things led to JII's demise. As I understand it the biggest factor was ... maintenance! Yes, the turntable was a big problem. Although it was based on a railroad turntable, the thing would pull the track out of the ground or twist and distort it. It took constant care. The rest of the attraction was so heavy in special effects with hundreds of projectors needing care in addition to the other unique effects. In its heyday, JII required about 30 maintenance staff working on it a night. That's more than the entire west side of Future World currently has in maintenance staff at night.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345