Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: New Fantasyland - Not Getting the Numbers They Expected

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    The messaging during the Grand Opening of NFL wasn't "Come back when it's finished" it was "OMG this whole new land is open and ready to be explored, come right now and explore it"

There was little to no mention about future expansions, little to no mention about current construction in all of the coverage.

The New Fantasyland Expansion was sold as a finished product to be explored.

The ONLY reason why we are debating this is because we are fanatics who follow every change at the resort.

If you are someone reading a newspaper, reading a news blog, watching a TV segment or commercial from your point of view Fantasyland is finished and open.

So that is what is most distressing about the figures.
    People are smart enough to look beyond the marketing message.

We are debating whether Disney is facing a disappointment in attendance due to the half-baked project known as the New Fantasyland.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I don't know if that is what corporate thinks.
    Well, Al said that's what corporate thinks, so that's what I went with.
    -Bill

I think people caught on that the New Fantasyland isn't finished yet. Once they got it complete, I'm sure more people will book trips. Then again, maybe people are waiting for Universal to finish their projects and do the whole thing. Disney shot themselves in the foot with the staggered opening of Fantasyland. They could have enjoyed the impact of opening the whole thing, but they did a premature opening and the WOW impact fizzled into disappointment.
    The addition of the Dwarves coaster will be welcomed but not a panacea to the real problem. And as for the other thing they're building that replaces Snow White, don't know, don't care really.

People want to be wowed when they return to any theme park that has the guts to say they've undergone a major expansion.

My reaction after visiting was similar to those awkward school performance scenes on "The Simpsons" (someone coughs into their hands or clears their throats because their embarrassed for the performers). Although, I'm sure Universal is saying "Ha Ha" to Mickey (in reference to another Simpsons bit).

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I are scratching our heads over the report that attendance is supposedly 'flat' at the Magic Kingdom because every time we go--which has been quite often lately--the park is more crowded than ever. It's actually not as much fun to go because of what seems to be even higher attedance. So who's doing the counting? Something doesn't add up.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Well, Al said that's what corporate thinks, so that's what I went with.
    Not even close.

Here is Al's paragraph on the issue.

"But over the Christmas break a fire was lit under a few key Burbank executives when it was realized WDW’s New Fantasyland project wasn’t pulling in the numbers or customer satisfaction ratings that had been hoped for. WDW’s hotel occupancy and spending numbers have been hurting for several years, and they were hoping for a big bump from New Fantasyland and its lone new attraction, a clone of the Little Mermaid omnimover. New Fantasyland hasn’t give them the bump they needed, and the customer satisfaction results are showing that it won’t be driving the new attendance or spending gains that WDW really needs in the next few years. And there’s currently nothing under construction in WDW, while their Universal and Sea World competitors have major new projects coming out of the ground."

and this is Al's own opinion.

"It’s no secret the New Fantasyland project has shown lackluster customer satisfaction ratings, and the piecemeal way it debuted last year with major construction still underway on the D-Ticket mine coaster is not helping things there this year."

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: My sisters and I are scratching our heads over the report that attendance is supposedly 'flat' at the Magic Kingdom because every time we go--which has been quite often lately--the park is more crowded than ever. It's actually not as much fun to go because of what seems to be even higher attedance. So who's doing the counting? Something doesn't add up.
    Morva, direct from the Orlando Sentinel this morning and admitted by Disney themselves - here are the counts:

"Combined attendance for Walt Disney World and Disneyland rose 4 percent, increasing significantly at the Southern California resort, which continues to draw crowds to a new Cars-themed land. Attendance was up by just "a hair" in Orlando."

Now in fairness, "Although attendance has been largely stagnant at Disney World in recent months, the company said it has improved during the current quarter. Iger said the first phases of its Fantasyland expansion have been "extremely well received" by travelers and has helped the company push more-aggressive price increases."

- - "extremely well received" - hmmm, not entirely sure that statement is 100% accurate - and Iger should be aware of Sarbanes Oxley rules at his level and hope that he doesn't stretch the truth more than the Haunted Mansion stretch rooms stretch the wallpaper.

The paper went on to say "Disney said domestic hotel bookings for the current quarter are up 4 percent, at prices that are higher than a year ago by "high single-digits" percentages."
    - - OK, so while bookings are up there are also offers on the table and 4% works out to about 400 more resort room nights on average - nothing to sneeze I suppose but can it really be attributed to NFL???

We'll see the tone of the next three earnings reports. If they still show "growth by a hair" then the proof is in the pudding that what Disney is building at WDW just isn't compelling enough to boost repeat business.

Cars Land at least gets people to think, "well we weren't planning on Disneyland this year but we want to see the new attraction they opened because I hear great things". The reaction to NFL so far is "well, we'll wait another year or two and see what they build and then go - my little princess will be older then and there is nothing for my son".

• Banned User

"extremely well received" is below ecstatic or delighted.

You're criticizing the success of New Fantasyland before it's biggest draw is even finished. Seems a bit shortsighted to me. Wait til the Mine Coaster is up and running, then speak your piece.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Enchilada View Post
    Little Mermaid will be a people mover being an omnimover-style ride. Long lines will move quick with the continous string of ride vehicles. Imagine if Peter Pan used omnimover boats! 90 minute waits and sluggish stand-by lines would be a thing of the past.
    Peter Pan's Flight in Florida does have a continuous load system like an omnimover.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    That's not really an uncommon response from that age group. The ride isn't very engaging... it's very passive, and doesn't involve any magic. (Not Disney Magic, actual magic as in illusions) People re-ride the Haunted Mansion because they are wowed by the illusions... and even those who know how the illusions work are still impressed by how convincing the illusions are.

Your kids liked Storytime because of the illusions. The magic expanding mirror, Lumiere and the engagement that exists... kids get to play a part in the story. Or at least watch others play a part. But the magic is what captures them.

The best dark rides... the charming ones, all use magic tricks. The queen turned into the witch in Snow White, Peter Pan... I mean, come on, there's a little city down there with actual moving cars, how is that done?! (I know, but it's still amazing) Plus, you're flying above it all and looking down. Pooh... well, my hunny pot just bounced with Tigger, I saw Pooh float out of his own body, a ring of smoke went in my face and now I'm floating along with ultra cool glowing rain and glowing water ripples. I still don't understand how the ripples work... it's a very neat water effect.

Small World is passive very much like Mermaid is passive. But Small World has an ear-worm of a song attached to it, and there's something charming and relaxing about a boat ride to begin with. A clam shell, not so much... unless of course you do something amazing by having CGI fish in a tank with other real fish... (Nemo wins there)

Name one effect in Mermaid that is a "Wow, how'd they do that?" The closest things like that in the entire ride are the eyes of Sebastian. Now, I know what you're thinking, Not Ursula you say? No. She's an animatronic. A really good one, and quite big, but it's obvious how she's done.

The illusions for Mermaid were all in the battle sequence that was cut from the attraction entirely. And that is why your kids could care less about riding again. There's nothing in the entire attraction to entice them to ride again... once is enough to see how it all works. The only thing that could have saved Mermaid (as is) is perhaps if the ride system was a cart instead of a slow moving omni-mover. There's a sense of greater speed and a more intimate experience when you're in a cart in a dark ride. (Even if the effects aren't all that stellar.) But heck, even Mr. Toad's Wild Ride had the train...
    In my opinion, the best scene in the ride is the transition under water at the beginning. It's not a "How'd they do that?" effect, it's pretty obvious how they do it but it is the most atmospheric segment of the attraction. The rest is just feels like a race to cram in all the Oscar nominated songs before the clam shell gets back to the station. The story is almost non existent.

Each of the original 3 Disney animated film dark rides of which only Peter Pan still exist was keyed to a specific emotion. Peter Pan was awe inspiring, Snow White was scary, and Toad was crazy. They were also all extremely loosely based on the films they represented. Toad is never actually seen driving a car in his film.

By contrast, Little Mermaid does none of that. It tries to cycle through the entire plot and emotional gamut of the film and does not have the room to do either properly. If the entire ride was just based around the Under the Sea segment, it could have been a lot better. Theme park rides are not movies. You have time to hit one, maybe two emotions and you're out. It is not a medium for complex storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    The messaging during the Grand Opening of NFL wasn't "Come back when it's finished" it was "OMG this whole new land is open and ready to be explored, come right now and explore it"

There was little to no mention about future expansions, little to no mention about current construction in all of the coverage.

The New Fantasyland Expansion was sold as a finished product to be explored.

The ONLY reason why we are debating this is because we are fanatics who follow every change at the resort.

If you are someone reading a newspaper, reading a news blog, watching a TV segment or commercial from your point of view Fantasyland is finished and open.

So that is what is most distressing about the figures.
    Yes, New Fantasyland was hyped as being complete but I think when people went online to see what it was about before booking their tickets a fair number saw "Seven Dwarfs' Mine coming in 2014" and decided to wait. I think Disney are the only people that actually fell for Disney's marketing.

Not even close.

Here is Al's paragraph on the issue.

"But over the Christmas break a fire was lit under a few key Burbank executives when it was realized WDW’s New Fantasyland project wasn’t pulling in the numbers or customer satisfaction ratings that had been hoped for. WDW’s hotel occupancy and spending numbers have been hurting for several years, and they were hoping for a big bump from New Fantasyland and its lone new attraction, a clone of the Little Mermaid omnimover. New Fantasyland hasn’t give them the bump they needed, and the customer satisfaction results are showing that it won’t be driving the new attendance or spending gains that WDW really needs in the next few years. And there’s currently nothing under construction in WDW, while their Universal and Sea World competitors have major new projects coming out of the ground."

and this is Al's own opinion.

"It’s no secret the New Fantasyland project has shown lackluster customer satisfaction ratings, and the piecemeal way it debuted last year with major construction still underway on the D-Ticket mine coaster is not helping things there this year."
    So Walt Disney World is Schrodinger's cat?
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 02-06-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: fun with physics!
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Not getting the numbers? Right. The last 2 times I've been over there, which have been since the grand opening in December, New Fantasyland has been PACKED. We're talking totally bottlenecked. When I was there just over a week ago, it was so packed I said "Oh h*ll no!", took the couple photos I wanted to take and left that area QUICK.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin6592 View Post
    You're criticizing the success of New Fantasyland before it's biggest draw is even finished. Seems a bit shortsighted to me. Wait til the Mine Coaster is up and running, then speak your piece.
    What success? You mean non-success. Disney already said the New Fantasyland is ready and open for business. Have they fooled you too?

My family and I are moving out of California soon!

So, we'll soon be a few states closer to Walt Disney World. I am looking forward to taking them there after the "New Fantysland" expansion is complete. It will be my first visit ever to Walt Disney World and I'm keeping an open mind.....sometimes the pictures DO NOT do it justice. (At least that's what I've been told )

I truly appreciate all of the detailed information that I have recieved from micechat.com over ther years!

As a huge Disney world fan, I go every week sometimes twice a week. I have to say that I am a little dissapointed with the expansion. Dont get me wrong, its beautiful so far. The only gripe with me is the size of Beast's Castle on the outside. Where I am finding the dissapointing is the lack of things to do.. I mean one ride? And one "show"? I just think that the Circus area needs more than the same ride that was there during Toontown Fair. Also, is it me, or does Belle's village seem to be missing something?! I am anxiously awaiting the opening of the Dwarves Mine Train... I am confident the princess meet and greet will be beautiful, but the area needs more "magic" in my opinion.

•   
    • Minion

I am not sure how the general public works but I have held off WDW trips until all of NFL is finished. I can't be the only one.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by dgpollard View Post
    My family and I are moving out of California soon!

So, we'll soon be a few states closer to Walt Disney World. I am looking forward to taking them there after the "New Fantysland" expansion is complete. It will be my first visit ever to Walt Disney World and I'm keeping an open mind.....sometimes the pictures DO NOT do it justice. (At least that's what I've been told )

I truly appreciate all of the detailed information that I have recieved from micechat.com over ther years!
    This text on my 40 inch monitor was GIANT! lol

Well welcome to our side of the country! And you will love it out here!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast