Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: New Fantasyland - Not Getting the Numbers They Expected

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I sadly have to agree. New Fantasyland is boring. The past 5 times in the past 2 months I have been to MK I have revisited New Fantasyland 0 times.

I have been with new Cast Members, family members and solo. And not one person, has indicated they want to visit, see or experience it.

Once you have seen it you are kind of like "meh, that was ok" and you move on. Unlike the WWOHP where you feel DRAWN to come back and revisit as many times as possible.

Over that same 2 months period I have have visited IOA 8 times and visited the Wizarding World 8 times.
    I am visiting Disney World in April, and I have 2 major things on my agenda. One is to see the new Fantasyland, and the other is to see The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter.

I will remember this post, and see how my reaction compares with yours.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I am visiting Disney World in April, and I have 2 major things on my agenda. One is to see the new Fantasyland, and the other is to see The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter.

I will remember this post, and see how my reaction compares with yours.
    I look forward to your analysis. Though I would prefer it if you could forget everyone's hype and comments about both, so that you can make a fresh assessment!

As a marketer, I love these kinds of things! lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I look forward to your analysis. Though I would prefer it if you could forget everyone's hype and comments about both, so that you can make a fresh assessment!

As a marketer, I love these kinds of things! lol
    Normally I plan way way too much for a vacation. This time I have done absolutely no planning at all. I am going in without knowing much. I haven't been to Florida in 4 years, and that is a long time for me. Going back to the years when we went once a year. So I don't think I will go in with any preconceived ideas. I love Fantasyland and I look forward to just enjoying myself. I am visiting with a friend who is very very new to DisneyWorld, so it should be interesting to see how we both react.

As for Harry Potter. I loved the books, and the movies, and I am super excited about all of that. My friend is super excited as well.

• former CM

Been there. Done that. / What inspires additional 3,000-mile journeys?

Some of the most enthusiastic Disney fans who rode the Little Mermaid in the new Fantasyland had already ridden it at DCA, so there was less, "WOW, I've never seen anything like that before!"

The reception of a cloned Radiator Springs Racers at WDW would also be quieter for the same reason. America already has one, so it will not be quite as enthusiastically received as it was the first time, or as The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was. (I'm hoping Hollywood's WWoHP will be distinct for the same reason.)

We Disneyland Resort visitors know RSR is great and if they made a ride that was similar yet different (racing through a different setting in a Grand Prix race) and maybe a little bit longer so it didn't seem cheaper, more of us would be inspired to cross the country to see it. Those potential MILLIONS of visitors from California, Japan and China who might be enticed by a new version of RSR should not be written off.

Similarly, an original RSR at WDW might inspire millions of East Coast guests (still about 50% of America's population) to visit the Disneyland Resort to check out the other very different one.

I think that a problem with RISC (Rasulo, Iger, Staggs Crofton) is that unlike Universal Orlando today, over the last 12 or so years WDW has erred by being too risk averse. Think big, people!
    You are the successors of Walt Disney. Act like it.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-22-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Anal retentive posting perfectionism.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Been there. Done that. / What inspires additional 3,000-mile journeys?

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

I think that the problem of RISC (Rasulo, Iger, Staggs Crofton) is that unlike Universal Orlando today, over the last 12 or so years WDW has erred on the side of being too risk averse. Think big, people!
    You are the successors of Walt Disney, an American original. Act like it.
    Universal Creative's new motto is "Go Big or Go Home!"

• Senior Minion

Re: Been there. Done that. / What inspires additional 3,000-mile journeys?

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I think that a problem with RISC (Rasulo, Iger, Staggs Crofton) is that unlike Universal Orlando today, over the last 12 or so years WDW has erred by being too risk averse. Think big, people!
    You are the successors of Walt Disney. Act like it.
    Quote of the Year!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Having moved from So Cal to Florida just before Cars Land was finished (or even started), I would LOVE to see it come here to Florida. But its just wishful thinking at this point. I think once the new additions to Fantasyland are finished, it will draw the numbers they were hoping for.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

I went on the Little Mermaid this past weekend. It was the first time since the Annual Passholder preview back in November. Every time we've been back since the ride was broken down so we skipped it. This weekend we arrive late on a Saturday morning and to our surprise the ride was operational and with only a 20 minute wait. So we b-lined it back to New Fantasyland. Made it through the queue in less than 20 minutes board our OmniMover and than before we reach the end of the Load moving walkway the ride stops. A moment later it starts up and than stops within 15 seconds. It stopped on us 3 times within the first 25 feet of track. And than twice more before the ride ended.

Why does this ride break down so often? The OmniMover is 40+ year old technology that runs like a champion at Mansion, Buzz and other attractions around the world. Why can't this new OmniMover built in 2012 keep up with its 40+ old predecessors?

I've also noticed that how this ride rotates is different (not nearly as smooth or fluid) as it's 40 year counter parts? They obviously did something to update the technology in this ride system? But the old one wasn't broke so why fix it?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    I went on the Little Mermaid this past weekend. It was the first time since the Annual Passholder preview back in November. Every time we've been back since the ride was broken down so we skipped it. This weekend we arrive late on a Saturday morning and to our surprise the ride was operational and with only a 20 minute wait. So we b-lined it back to New Fantasyland. Made it through the queue in less than 20 minutes board our OmniMover and than before we reach the end of the Load moving walkway the ride stops. A moment later it starts up and than stops within 15 seconds. It stopped on us 3 times within the first 25 feet of track. And than twice more before the ride ended.

Why does this ride break down so often?
    The OmniMover is 40+ year old technology that runs like a champion at Mansion, Buzz and other attractions around the world. Why can't this new OmniMover built in 2012 keep up with its 40+ old predecessors?

I've also noticed that how this ride rotates is different (not nearly as smooth or fluid) as it's 40 year counter parts? They obviously did something to update the technology in this ride system? But the old one wasn't broke so why fix it?
    It probably wasn't breaking down. It is usually a handicapped individual transferring onto the ride, causing the ride to stop.
    Last edited by frollofan; 05-07-2013 at 01:03 PM.

I was there in Feb., and I thought the NFL was spectacular, but could have used another attraction or 2. WWofHP was just as great, in a different way. Looking forward to the coaster getting finished to see what they have done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytom View Post
    According to Al's article today the "New Fantasyland" at WDW isn't drawing in the numbers or good guest comments that TDO expected so now they're scrambling trying to assess what went wrong and what they can do about this...

...at the end of the day it's all about getting the heads in the beds and pushing up hotel bookings. Now it seems these bookings are tapering off at an alarming rate especially considering a major new area opened at the park and others have also told me that panic is setting in for Summer.

Well, I started this thread in February and while I'm not going to eat an entire crow I will agree to eat 1/2 of one (as long as I can have ketchup with it). Like it or not, and I'm not a tremendous fan of the end product, it looks like the NFL has accomplished its goal of giving WDW attendance increases. Disney released Q2 results today and Cars Land still continues to help boost DL attendance almost a year after opening and now NFL is getting some credit for doing the same to WDW (although specifics on the extent of the boost weren't provided).

I still think that after the allure wears off, probably much sooner than for Cars Land, NFL will probably turn the Beast restaurant into a buffet and the Little Mermaid ride will probably sport only nominal wait times. The Dwarves Coaster will always be a 45 minute wait, though.

I'm glad NFL is getting some acknowledgement that it is keeping up with the Jones' out West (Cars Land). Even though, I still hear people say that considering the hype there's not a lot to do in the area. It would have been awesome to incorporate a villain ride in NFL as it would have been unique and could have really knocked the attendance through the roof.

In all cases, some TDO execs can breathe a little easier that their bonuses will be a little fuller this year.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneytom View Post
    According to Al's article today the "New Fantasyland" at WDW isn't drawing in the numbers or good guest comments that TDO expected so now they're scrambling trying to assess what went wrong and what they can do about this....

...Honestly, though, what did Disney expect? Did they really expect that creating a cloned omni-mover attraction based on Ariel nearly 24 years after her movie debut would be that compelling to guests that people would flock to the place????
    One of the unfortunate things about today's Disney management is how they believe their own PR spin. If you think the "Everything We Do is Wonderful" PR gas is thick outside the berm, in-house it's like the air they breathe.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Uni, announced Potter 2.0 today. NOONE is gonna care about 7 dudes working in a mine now that's for sure.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Uni, announced Potter 2.0 today. NOONE is gonna care about 7 dudes working in a mine now that's for sure.
    You have to remember they are short dudes...
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Gringotts VS Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster... No competition at all.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast