5 points to make WDW a better place
Just been wracking my brain recently and came up with 5 points for each part of the resort that if improved would go a long way for guest enjoyment. some may be idealistic, however i think some could be easily implemented hopefully some of you follow along with the list and make your own thoughts known. Follow along in wikimaps or whatever you use to help get perspective on the thoughts.
1) Remove the flying carpets: I know this may be a bit controversial as it is a nice little attraction, however it has made travel through adventureland brutal. Add to that the new 'double dumbo' along with the already existing astro orbiter and there isn't even a need for that many spinners in the park. I would remove not only the carpets but also the sunshine tree terrace which sits empty most of the time and in its place along with the carpets, have a small amphitheater where the story of Aladdin could be told (think story time with bell meets the jack sparrow pirates league show thing) and expand the bazar out a bit. this completes a more realistic setting in the land, and allows guests to travel through it much easier, a win win situation.
2) Less food carts, more restaurants: there are few things that annoy me more at a disney park then an unthemed food cart. first because it ruins the mood and the realism imagineers worked so hard to create in the place I'm in and second because I know there are plenty of quick service restaurants that they have opted to close that they could be using instead. lets keep places like the tortuga tavern or the diamond horseshoe etc. open all the time and instead direct people those locations instead of just slinging out these random carts all over the place. now however there is an exception to this rule. if the cart is well themed and matches the setting its in such as the new popcorn cart they had out when advertising the new fantasyland then by all means it can stay. you can just as easily grab an item to eat and walk around with at a window or a quick service then a cart and it will probably be better prepared making people want to buy more. i don't think thats too much to ask for from the guest perspective. its the little things that count in this case.
3) A new tomorrow: this is something many have suggested here, but I might take things in a slightly different direction. to me there are two saving graces to this land as it stands today, Space Mountain which is fine as is and should be left alone to deal with more pressing issues, and Cosmic Rays which only could use possibly a little bit of tinkering to Sonny Eclipse, maybe teaching him a few newer songs to go with his classics and utilize some of that my-magic tech to get him a little more personal with the guests in true dinner show style. moving on from there, I believe the laugh floor should be first to go, it isn't futuristic and relies to heavily on guest participation along with stitch who is just poorly utilized in this attraction, and buzz who is pixar and belongs with the rest of the toy story gang at DHS on a very similar ride type. i think instead they should still utilize stitch in one of these locations since he is one of the few disney aliens which is a futuristic concept, just in a different setting, such as totally revamping the buzz lightyear ride and instead making it a galactic alliance shooter game staring stitch. this would give it the upgrade the ride needs to be on par with men in black over at universal and be better for the land as a whole. in place of the two vacated areas throw in some original concepts and some new characters (along with a new ride system in the case of the old alien encounter area), not every attraction has to be based on a movie. a motion simulator theater would be nice in the laugh floor area and possibly some sort of circle vision show around a cool animatronic robot in the center where stitch/alien used to be. moving on to the last couple points, theres the carousel of progress which should stay in my opinion, but receive a major overhaul. keep the original essence of Walt's attraction but fix the AA's and update things to modern times, as this attraction is the essence of what tomorrowland is all about and should remain relevant not stagnant. The last attraction standing is the speedway which also needs to be changed. it is hardly a futuristic concept and takes up a rediculous amount of space preventing any future expansion to the north of space mountain. i would first implement new electric cars which supports disney's green message, could bring in a new sponsor, and makes the attraction semi futuristic instead of the gas powered motors you see there today. i would also shrink its foot print a little more towards the north allowing for an expansion north of space mountain. here i would put in a wall-e classic dark ride which i think would fit nicely on the outskirts of tomorrowland with a smaller replica of the ship from the film in the back ground. this development is exciting on a different level as well as it leaves the area above the wall-e ride available for the future development of another expansion that could then be connected with story book circus. that i think although it was rather a long winded point lol would go a long way in 'fixing' tomorrowland quite nicely, its not perfect but definitely doable and could be a nice follow up to their new fantasyland work.
4) the NEW frontier: many on here have wondered how to get to the old western river expedition expansion pad in the north-west corner of the park and come up with many different ideas, each with their pros and cons. I think I may have come up with a nice final solution. the best way to allow full access to that whole area is to use the Liberty Belle like the train is used in the park today, as an attraction and as a mode of transportation. all that needs to be done is build a dock just past the area of the native americans. that would allow for that whole area to be open for expansion with moving the railroad back closer to the water's edge as an option as well. I would think that this could be an expansion of the liberty square area since it is so small right now and you could be traveling downriver to another colonial town. here we could get an e-ticket headless horseman ride, maybe a bit of antebellum america or our own new orleans square kind of area, etc. across a draw bridge to the northern tom sawyer island that area could be used to create a little more for frontierland with space for an additional show of some kind and classic dark ride. then just make a few adjustments to fort langhorn and the walking bridge, open up aunt polly's again and now there are two ways to get through to the new land (tom sawyer rafts and the ferry boat) and it makes the play area relevant again. this would be my ideal situation for the area and i think it could be done quite easily.
5) The Emporium: i think this is probably the most subtly important on the list. there is a big issue in my opinion with over crowding on main street that can be partially blamed on the emporium being so huge and something that draws hordes of people to mill around it. on top of that it takes a bit of the charm away from what used to be there such as the penny arcade and the screening theater that were really nice little destinations. I think opening the main street cinema (as an actual cinema) just running classic shorts and closing down the top half to a third of the emporium to open up the penny arcade once more and another nice little area attraction like the disney gallery (which is still technically a shop but its high end and also an attraction so win win). this would hopefully go a long way to keep traffic moving on main street, or at least isolated to a certain corner more, and provide more unique experiences for the guest to go see (plus a place to take a load off for a little in the dark with a/c during a long hot day is never a bad idea)
theres my 5 points for the Magic Kingdom. I know i ended up getting a bit long winded but i think these 5 points would go a long way to making the park a better place. what are your thoughts? if i get a decent amount of feedback I'll continue on with Epcot.
Re: 5 points to make WDW a better place
Actually the Sunshine Tree Terrace is usually quite busy now and besides removing it means removing the Orange Bird and I just won't stand for that! ;) The poor guy was just recently brought back. I'd actually like to see him walking around Adventureland for meet and greets.
As to your other points, I can agree that Tomorrowland is in need of some changes. It is probably my least favorite land with the exception of the Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress and Space Mountain.
Re: 5 points to make WDW a better place
Ah darn I mixed up the sunshine tree terrace with the adventureland veranda. I just really liked the idea of an Aladdin presence there so possibly you could move the Orange Bird and total dole whip central to the Veranda with some slight renovations. then we get the best of both worlds and hopefully cut down on some of the waits for dole whips and citrus swirls.
Originally Posted by DisneySam
lol well those are some pretty big exceptions but I agree a Tomorrowland reno has to be the next thing MK focuses on. adding a land in the north west corner like I suggested would be nice as well but all the lands in the park need to be at their best before any additions occur IMO. people think that the MK is totally done for expansion however i can see 2-3 expansion pads that would be quite feasible in the park's long term future.