Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Disney's Hollywood Studios Refresh

The fallacy here is that all the Lucasfilm properties: Indiana Jones, Star Wars, or all the Pixar properties: Monsters Inc, Cars, Incredibles - have something in common with each other, except for the producers of the properties, that's about nothing. It would be better to create real theme environments like they have at Disneyland and the MK's: ADVENTURE, FUTURE, WESTERNS etc. They happen to parallel movie genres. Too bad the same can't be said for DHS.

• What imagination needs...

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    It would be better to create real theme environments like they have at Disneyland and the MK's: ADVENTURE, FUTURE, WESTERNS etc. They happen to parallel movie genres. Too bad the same can't be said for DHS.
    I don't like that. I think that ever since DL were the pioneers in theming parks like that it has become the standard, and it has become very generic. That idea is very predictable and played-out.

Illusion, I love your ideas!

When I was younger and used to go to WDW with my fam I always loved (MGM) Studios because i loved all the old Hollywood feel of it. But the last few times I've gone I feel like it's kinda disappointing and in need of some serious upgrading.

I really like the idea of incorporating different lands corresponding to all of the companies Disney has acquired. LucasFilm in particular would be a big hit with people. There would have to be a TON of Star Wars stuff there to both appease and draw in all the Star Wars fans/geeks/fanatics out there, many of whom aren't necessarily Disney type peeps.

As for Pixar, they should definitely have the Radiator Springs Racers from DCA (since the ride is so awesome and popular) and some really cool Toy Story attraction since that seems to be one of Pixar's most popular movies/franchises. I don't think remaking CarsLand there would mesh with the park, as its more appropriate at a "Lands" type park and not a "Studio" type park. a brief side note, noone seems to notice that actually having CarsLand at DCA is inaccurate as Radiator Springs is somewhere in the Southwest and not actually in the state of California, lol.

I personally like your idea of having an area dedicated to film noir, as I LOVE that genre. Don't know how well it would play over with most of the general public though, as many of the young crowd probably won't appreciate it as much and especially in comparison to the Marvel and Lucas areas.

Having the Marvel section where Streets of America is makes complete sense. Making an Avengers ride similar to the Harry Potter ride at Universal would be incredible, incorporating rollercoaster, simulation ride, fire, and other effects into the ride would be perfect. All the Avengers heroes, awesome effects, etc... it would be epic, and HUGELY popular.

I think it would be great if they great expanded and enhanced the Walt Disney Animation Studios part of this park, with much more fun stuff. More DISNEY.

Space/geography and layout of all this would have to be cleverly planned, obviously, with the inherent obstacles of the area, but I think they could make it work.

Great thread Illusion!

• Metro-Retro Historian

The fallacy here is that all the Lucasfilm properties: Indiana Jones, Star Wars, or all the Pixar properties: Monsters Inc, Cars, Incredibles - have something in common with each other, except for the producers of the properties, that's about nothing. It would be better to create real theme environments like they have at Disneyland and the MK's: ADVENTURE, FUTURE, WESTERNS etc. They happen to parallel movie genres. Too bad the same can't be said for DHS.
    They kind of work because Lucas only makes Action/Adventure films and Pixar only makes CG movies, so it's slightly better than if they tried to do it with more diverse studios like, say, Miramax Land. I do agree that lands based on something more substantial like genres, different eras of Hollywood, or even areas like Backlot or On Location would be preferable. In my opinion, anything is better than lands based on individual films.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Filmmaker

The fallacy here is that all the Lucasfilm properties: Indiana Jones, Star Wars, or all the Pixar properties: Monsters Inc, Cars, Incredibles - have something in common with each other, except for the producers of the properties, that's about nothing.
    While it's a fair point, I'm not sure I necessarily agree. As Dapper Dan points out, despite the aesthetic differences (sci-fi vs. adventure) Star Wars and Indiana Jones have a pretty comparable style and tone and draw a very similar audience. It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to have the deserts of Egypt next to the deserts of Tatooine, but maybe that's just me.

I don't think I have to defend Muppet studios too much, Muppets can work in just about any genre and still feel Muppety if done right.

Since all of the Marvel characters share a common universe it makes sense to have them kept together in a single land. That's how they've always been in the comics and that's how they are in the movies.

Pixar films, again, have a wide range of stylistic differences, but I would argruge that like LucasFilm there's a large cross-over in terms of tone and the type of audience they attract. Pixar also has a lot of natural cross-over within their films, having characters and elements from other movies make cameo appearances in technically unrelated films. In that way audiences have already been trained, to an extent, to accept the Pixar films as one property, an effect almost like the shared universe of Marvel. To me, it would not be strange at all to see Mike Wazowksi alongside Buzz Lightyear; at least not any more strange than seeing Pinocchio and Peter Pan next to the White Rabbit.

I also don't think every park necessarily need to follow the Disneyland template for Lands. It obviously works brilliantly for that park, but a Studio Park is kind of a different animal. In my opinon, it makes more sense for a studio park to have theme lands based more around the broader mechanics of filmmaking; focussing on studios and filmmakers rather than on time periods and genre settings.
    Last edited by Illusion0fLife; 02-22-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Love the ideas on DHS. I think we can make two totally different lands for Indiana Jones and Star Wars. They are both big enough film powers to support their own lands. I want to zero in on the Star Wars portion though. I think they should put in a indoor dueling coaster featuring the chase scene from IV; I think we should have TIE Fighters and X-Wings dueling. And yes, indoors, because you can make it seem like space and you can add theme and visual/audio effects.

Next, I think we need a replica of the cantina. Everything should be the same; the design, the layout, even the band (not all the time though; that song is annoying). Have some of the characters sit like they are actual visitors too; it will add to the feeling of being in the Star Wars universe. Finally, add a moving simulator (like on a track) moving through all the important scenes of the saga. And have it be housed in the spaceport on Tatooine. Keep Star Tours and Jedi Training Academy.

Thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12