Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Filmmaker

Disney's Hollywood Studios Refresh

It's generally agreed upon that Disney's Hollywood Studios needs some help thematically. It's a disjointed mishmash of ideas and generally tends to be the park that recieves the sloppy seconds from other parks. You have an attraction you want to clone for WDW that won't fit in one of the other three parks? Shove it in DHS!

So I was thinking of ways to bring new life to the park and use what's already there to tie together a consistent theme when I came up with an idea. The park is called Disney's Hollywood Studios after all, and over the last decade or so Disney has acquired several Hollywood Studios. Namely Pixar, Muppets, Marvel, and LucasFilm in addition to Walt Disney Pictures and Walt Disney Animation. So why not have a park that represents each of these studios and have themed lands related to each one? The front of the park can remain a representation of an idealized Hollywood while the back half can represent each of these studios. Here are a few ideas for how to accomplish this.

1.) Add antoher street branching left off of Hollywood Blvd. (opposite Sunset Blvd.). I think it would be fun to theme this area around classic Noir thrillers. The anchor attraction could have guests board antique cars and drive through the seedy underbelly of LA following a detective as he tries to solve a crime and ending in an exciting car chase/shootout. They could also have one of the interactive games that Disney seems to be so fond of these days in an environment that actually makes sense for it.

2.) Expand the Star Tours/Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular section of Echo Lake into LucasFilm Ltd. Studios. If they so desired Disney could clone Indiana Jones Adventure for this part of the park, but the real draw here would be a thematically appropriate place to have what's effectively a Star Wars Land.

3.) Continue the theming around Muppet*Vision 3D to create Muppet Studios. This would include re-theming Pizza Planet and Mama Melrose's.

4.) Convert the rest of the Streets of America into Marvel Studios. This is obviously the most problematic due to Universal's east of the Mississippi monopoly on Marvel attractions, but if Disney was willing to pull up in their driveway with a couple dumptrucks full of money I'm sure some kind of arrangement could be met. The streets of America infrastructure could stay mostly intact because they represent the same kind of environments that Marvel super heroes most often occupy. I would also recommend ditching Lights, Motors, Action! and using that space to house the anchor attraction (based on The Avengers, naturally).

5.) Ditch the Backlot Tour and expand Pixar Place. As sad as it would be to see the Backlot Tour go, I think it's time. The park is no longer a functioning studio and hasn't been for some time, so the idea of a Backlot Tour is a bit disingenuous, not to mention the fact that it's progressively been whiddled away to be a shadow of its former self. This would give them space to clone Radiator Springs Racers if they so desired (just the attraction, not Cars Land in full) as well as give them space to play with other Pixar properties such as Monsters, Inc., WALL-E, and The Incredibles.

The rest of the park can stay more-or-less as-is with maybe some minor changes (i.e. renaming Animation Courtyard/Mickey Ave. to Walt Disney Animation Studios, killing the Sorcerer's hat, etc.). The end result would be a park with eight distinct lands: three "streets" (Hollywood Blvd., Sunset Blvd., and unamed third Noir street) and five "studios" (LucasFilm Ltd., Muppet Studios, Marvel Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, and Walt Disney Animation Studios). It would allow Disney to retain a lot of the infrastructure that already exists, but give everything a consistent and distinct theme.

Thoughts? Alternate suggestions? Think I'm off my rocker? Feel free to let me know.
    Last edited by Illusion0fLife; 02-12-2013 at 01:52 PM.

• Team Hail HYDRA

Re: Disney's Hollywood Studios Refresh

im liking it
    i think that star wars is so big they should have there own park or mega land

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Minion

these were pretty interesting thoughts, i enjoyed reading them, here are a few suggestions:

1) there is no room to add another street to hollywood blvd as on the opposite side of it from sunset is the echo lake area. last time i checked you cant build any streets on lakes lol. i do like the noire concept, the ride for the land sounds a lot like the old dick tracy concept from way back. All these elements could be brought together in a section on or branching off of sunset blvd, i think that could turn out nicely.

2) I think everyone likes this idea and it could be done quite easily. just change 50's prime time diner a bit to more of an American Graffiti theme, demo the backlot express along with the old unused kennel and relocate a few backstage buildings then boom, you have enough room for a new star wars land and a new indiana jones ride to go along with the stunt show attraction thats already there. the only sad thing about it would be the probable demise of dinosaur Gerties and the S.S. Down the Hatch.

3) again a big yes. i would expand the backlot theater and use it for the long rumored great muppet movie ride, or an actual muppets ride of some kind, redo the 3D movie with new elements, and try to combine mama melrose and Pizza planet into two components of the same restaurant (like the new beauty and the beast restaurant) pizza planet being the quick service run by the Swedish Chef, and Rizzo running the full service dinner show with live muppets doing on stage performances while you eat.

4) this i wouldn't really agree with as then we loose some of the charm of the area and the Osbourne lights. on top of that there really isnt much left too the streets of america after creating muppet land besides some streets, lights motors action, and the backlot tour (which would be absorbed by Pixar place). i think there is a lot more that can be done here without throwing a ton of money at universal.

5) i like this. im not a huge fan of cloning but if we were forced to have RSR i wouldn't cry about it lol it looks like a wonderful attraction, just as long as we dont get the whole rest of the cars land too. i would also bring in the long rumored door coaster and put it in the always "coming soon" building lol. also i think a ratatouile restaurant or a much better version of pizza planet would be a nice addition regarding attractions along with maybe an Up walkthrough of the house and or possibly the crush coaster from france.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    these were pretty interesting thoughts, i enjoyed reading them, here are a few suggestions:

1) there is no room to add another street to hollywood blvd as on the opposite side of it from sunset is the echo lake area. last time i checked you cant build any streets on lakes lol... All these elements could be brought together in a section on or branching off of sunset blvd, i think that could turn out nicely.
    I was actually thinking of preserving the lake and expanding into the parking lot, but branching off of Sunset could work as well (I'm just a sucker for symmetry in parks )

As for 2, I hadn't thought of the American Graffiti tie-in, but that's actually quite smart. I like it a lot.

3) again a big yes. i would expand the backlot theater and use it for the long rumored great muppet movie ride, or an actual muppets ride of some kind, redo the 3D movie with new elements, and try to combine mama melrose and Pizza planet into two components of the same restaurant (like the new beauty and the beast restaurant) pizza planet being the quick service run by the Swedish Chef, and Rizzo running the full service dinner show with live muppets doing on stage performances while you eat.
    I like a lot of these ideas as well, although I'm kind of head-over-heels for Muppet*Vision as it currently is, I wouldn't necessarily want to change it. A Muppet ride of some kind would be a lot of fun, though.

4) this i wouldn't really agree with as then we loose some of the charm of the area and the Osbourne lights. on top of that there really isnt much left too the streets of america after creating muppet land besides some streets, lights motors action, and the backlot tour (which would be absorbed by Pixar place). i think there is a lot more that can be done here without throwing a ton of money at universal.
    As I said, this is the most problematic of the ideas, but it seems only appropriate to have Marvel included in this new concept. I also don't necessarily think that you'd have to ditch the Osbourne lights if Marvel moved in; as I mentioned, the infrastructure of the streets could remain mostly intact.

5) ...I would also bring in the long rumored door coaster and put it in the always "coming soon" building lol. also i think a ratatouile restaurant or a much better version of pizza planet would be a nice addition regarding attractions along with maybe an Up walkthrough of the house and or possibly the crush coaster from france
    Also great ideas. Monsters, Inc. is a film that I think is absolutely ripe with theme park potential yet the US attractions for it have sadly been kind of lackluster.

Great ideas I'd love to see this. I have a couple of additions as well

on the noir street I'd add a speakeasy restaurant & a nighthawks diner and a real theatre for a production like Big Band Beat in TDS.

Lucasland could be endless but I'd expand into the parking lot & relocate the parking to the other side of world drive with a peoplemover over or under the road to the park gate. This could give room for the IJA which has been missing from Florida for too long and space for several Star Wars attractions (speeder bike coaster, pod race RSR? Cantina themed animatronics review) . I'd probably remove the Indy stunt show or give it a major update as its getting a bit creaky maybe connect to the noir street by a Chinatown type area which could blend into Indy Shanghai which goes to jungle to endor etc.

I'd keep muppetvision as is but plus the effects. The muppet movie ride and restaurants would be great and I'd love to see a Bunsen & Beaker dark ride tour of muppetlabs, although this could also make a great EPCOT pavillion and maybe a live muppet show.

A marvel land could be good but if contracts do t allow what about a Tim Burton land? We could have a nightmare before Christmas dark ride and frankenweenie or Alice attractions set in a strange surreal land.

Pixar land doesn't need a copy of RSR ( I've put this in lucasland). I'd love to see a monsters inc hide and go seek from TDS and maybe the ratatouille ride from DSP or something similar themed to wall e or the incredibles that way both coasts get something new. I'd also rue theme the honey playground to bugs life which I'd imagine wouldn't cost much.

The last addition I'd make would be toontown. Without MK Mickey needs a new home and DHS is the obvious place. Based on Disneylands but themed to Beverly Hills we'd have meet Mickey and Minnie homes a comic dark ride based on a tour of the toons homes (3 little pigs, Donald ducks boat, Scrooge McMansion etc) and some other simple rides maybe a flying tyres themed to goofys gas station.

Hope I've not written too much but I loved your idea so much it got me thinking hard :-)

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    Hope I've not written too much but I loved your idea so much it got me thinking hard :-)
    Hah! I'm a bit long-winded myself so no worries Besides, there's some great ideas here as well.

The Indy Stunt show does need some TLC, but when I was last there in 2009 I was surprised at how well it held up after all these years. I wouldn't be completely opposed to removing it, but I'd rather see them breathe new life into it instead of leveling it. I do like the idea, though, of that transition from Noir to Indy to Star Wars. Also, a Mos Eisley Cantina restaurant is a must for the land.

• What imagination needs...

I like this idea. I wonder if it could be styled as if you enter through the front gate like you arrived at Hollywood (in the 40's) and you are exploring the local streets and the 5 major studios that just happen to sit next to each other.
    The defined lands/studios could be...

• Lucasland Ltd.
    • Marvel Studios/Marvel World
    • Pixar Place/Pixar Animation Studios
    • Muppet Studios (will include an actual "Sesame Street"? )
    • Walt Disney Animation Studios
    • Sunset Blvd (Highland could be opened to provide a segway (misspelled) to a new land...)
    • Hollywood Blvd. (MS/BVS - I personally feel that this area needs a revamp to compete with BVS and MS, but WDW doesn't have originality as a top priority, so...)
    • "Unnamed noir street"

I'm gonna see if I can draw up a map of this. Four things:
    • If you look at HS on Google Maps, there's a circle like curve where I guess a ditch or something is. Can't they move both parking lot entrance roads to go along that and free up backstage/park space?
    • Why can't they just fill Echo Lake in? It doesn't seem that serious of a job...
    • Instead of trashing the Sorcerer's hat completely, can we move it back to the Walt Disney Animation Studios area? That is if it won't be too distracting...
    • There seems to be a tiny bit of free space between the B&TB show, ToT, and Fantasmic. What if they opened up that path further and turned that area into something themed after Griffith Park?

--Duplicate Deleted

• "What is thy bidding?"

Hmmm, to add to the wishing well of DHS rehab....Why not move Indy stunt show over to Animal Kingdom along with a complete immersive INDY land that AK needs. Or complete a land within DHS to add INDY land. Also With Pixar ruling the Disney success in films a definate expansion of "Pixar Place/Land" to include Monsters Inc. Incredibles attraction ..but pleeease no clone of Toy Story Playland!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Design View Post
    I like this idea. I wonder if it could be styled as if you enter through the front gate like you arrived at Hollywood (in the 40's) and you are exploring the local streets and the 5 major studios that just happen to sit next to each other.
    The defined lands/studios could be...

• Lucasland Ltd.
    • Marvel Studios/Marvel World
    • Pixar Place/Pixar Animation Studios
    • Muppet Studios (will include an actual "Sesame Street"? )
    • Walt Disney Animation Studios
    • Sunset Blvd (Highland could be opened to provide a segway (misspelled) to a new land...)
    • Hollywood Blvd. (MS/BVS - I personally feel that this area needs a revamp to compete with BVS and MS, but WDW doesn't have originality as a top priority, so...)
    • "Unnamed noir street"

I'm gonna see if I can draw up a map of this. Four things:
    • If you look at HS on Google Maps, there's a circle like curve where I guess a ditch or something is. Can't they move both parking lot entrance roads to go along that and free up backstage/park space?
    • Why can't they just fill Echo Lake in? It doesn't seem that serious of a job...
    • Instead of trashing the Sorcerer's hat completely, can we move it back to the Walt Disney Animation Studios area? That is if it won't be too distracting...
    • There seems to be a tiny bit of free space between the B&TB show, ToT, and Fantasmic. What if they opened up that path further and turned that area into something themed after Griffith Park?
    1) I really don't see Disney buying up Marvel rights from Universal and adding it to their park. it doesn't make sense for universal to sell considering one of their most beloved attractions sits in that land and they have a lot of infrastructure put into the place currently, maybe 20, 30 years down the road sure but definitely not now.

2) Disney cannot use any Sesame Street properties as their theme park rights are owned by the Busch Gardens conglomerate.

3) whats this ditch thing your talking about because that sounds interesting

4) its not a lot of trouble to fill in echo lake however it would be really sad to see.

5) I would actually recommend moving the hat to DTD, that area needs a big "weenie" point and all the hat is really is a big out door store.

6) They could eventually use that space, however they probably wont as they need that long pathway to be separate from the park as a waiting area for fantasmic

@darth goofy im not a huge fan of the indy idea just because i think they could do a lot bette with an original concept in a land like Australia or South America, and it would kind of defeat the purpose of a Lucas land/Lucas Studios if one of his two main properties aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    3) whats this ditch thing your talking about because that sounds interesting
    This
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  81.6 KB

• Filmmaker

This...
    If they could do that, that would allow plenty of space for a LucasFilm expansion. Not to mention room to work in a Muppets attraction or two as well as Marvel attractions (going by my original, albeit unrealistic, plan).

If they treated this in the same way as the DCA expansion they could have a big hit on their hands. Do the Pixar expansion for phase one since Pixar properties tend to draw crowds. Phase two could involve expanding Muppet Studios and adding Marvel Studios. Muppets might not be a huge draw to the general public, but they still have a loyal following, and combined with Marvel Studios I imagine you'd get some strong attendance for that phase.

Third and final phase would include Noir street and LucasFilm Ltd. expansion. This is the biggest draw. This is DHS' one-two punch that equals the equivalent of Cars Land and Buena Vista Street.

I'm not sure Disney wants to jump into another extensive multi-year park retool right off the heels of DCA, but I think the payoff would be huge. Star Wars is quite possibly the biggest pop culture property that's ever existed, and adding it to the studios would draw legions of fans from all over the world in the same way Wizarding World of Harry Potter has done for Universal.
    Last edited by Illusion0fLife; 02-13-2013 at 02:52 PM.

• Minion

This
    Oh totally agree with that, ive been an advocate for it for a long time. currently if they just rework things a bit in the actual park area they will have plenty of space for the proposals to happen, however this could be a new land that could contain the old backlot theme they were phasing out from the park as a whole with a new, much better backlot tour and some other magic of the movies type attractions and or a marvel land in the far far distant future.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    If they could do that, that would allow plenty of space for a LucasFilm expansion. Not to mention room to work in a Muppets attraction or two as well as Marvel attractions (going by my original, albeit unrealistic, plan).

If they treated this in the same way as the DCA expansion they could have a big hit on their hands. Do the Pixar expansion for phase one since Pixar properties tend to draw crowds. Phase two could involve expanding Muppet Studios and adding Marvel Studios. Muppets might not be a huge draw to the general public, but they still have a loyal following, and combined with Marvel Studios I imagine you'd get some strong attendance for that phase.

Third and final phase would include Noir street and LucasFilm Ltd. expansion. This is the biggest draw. This is DHS' one-two punch that equals the equivalent of Cars Land and Buena Vista Street.

I'm not sure Disney wants to jump into another extensive multi-year park retool right off the hills of DCA, but I think the payoff would be huge. Star Wars is quite possibly the biggest pop culture property that's ever existed, and adding it to the studios would draw legions of fans from all over the world in the same way Wizarding World of Harry Potter has done for Universal.
    I think if they were going to do a major expansion they would have to do muppets first and foremost so they can capitalize on the success of the recent film as much as possible along with Pixar for the RSR's clone. the noir and lucas studios would be phase two because they can retool the backstage areas they need for that expansion while phase 1 is going on. as for the marvel studios again i don't see that happening for a very long time. theres been a trend for major additions usually going in a cycle from one park to the next and it seems to be DHS's turn now so we could see this realistically in the future.

I know this may sound a bit "out there" and undoable, but splitting the contents of DHS into two parks would help massively with theming problems. DHS would return (somewhat) to its purpose of being the Hollywood that never was. The second park, located nearby (across the highway perhaps), would focus on attractions and lands regarding Disney-owned movies.
    Pixar Place and Muppet Studios would be moved to the second park and would be expanded, as neither seem to be at their full potential now. Carsland and ToonTown would make an appearance as well. With Muppet Studios and Streets of America gone from DHS, the existing parts of Echo Lake could be expanded to create Lucas Studios, the only exception to the new/old DHS theme out of convenience. Plus, with the second park being right across the highway, Lucas Studios could possibly be connected via monorail. And yes, the hat would be moved to become the symbol of the second park.

As for DHS's contents, attractions and even whole lands could be based off of movie time periods or genres, but I'm not worrying about that now. The Animation Courtyard area could be expanded and updated, and the Walt Disney section adjacent to it could fill up the currently tiny Pixar Place.

These are just general ideas, and they could be fleshed out with new attractions and specific details, but I think this would be one way to drastically improve DHS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast