Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• From the Garums

Why isn't Disney spending more money?

WDW is not in the best shape right now. Do you think that with the rollout of MyMagic+ on the horizon, they'll have finally freed up some capital to spend on actual tourist draws now that they've got all the user metrics they could ever imagine, or do you think that this is the new paradigm for Disney - few and far between new attractions, old attractions shut down unceremoniously, and dirty/unkempt parks? I'm going back for a week in September, and as thrilled as I am to be going (It's always been my favorite place as a kid, but as an adult I was surprised to find out how incredibly romantic it can be), I'm honestly more excited about seeing Universal IoA.

Also, someone posted an (apparently new) picture on twitter of a model of EPCOT, with two mountains in the World Showcase. That is exciting, if only a fantasy dream.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Why isn't Disney spending more money?

Oh they are spending A LOT of money...

1+ billion on MM+
    500 million on New Fantasyland
    300 million on DVC for the Grand Floridia

They are spending A LOT down in Orlando right now... just not on what people want.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Heavy Breather

Like KingEric said, they're just spending money on what they think people want to see.

That and TDO as we know just loves to hoard money and go swimming in it on the weekends.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

^go swimming in it on weekends? I'm no apolegist, but maybe hopefully they have been saving up so that they can start wowing us with some of their attractions again...

I know I know before the inevitable backlash, this is what I hope is happening not what is actually happening...

then again I did like the FLE expansion or at least how it's shaping up to look, very detailed and pretty cool overall... the initial announcement had me wetter than an ole wet hen but now I can enjoy some of what has been put there...hopefully this rumor about DTD undergoing some changes helps the nightlife and maybe just maybe the property is getting back onto focus..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    ^go swimming in it on weekends? I'm no apolegist, but maybe hopefully they have been saving up so that they can start wowing us with some of their attractions again...

I know I know before the inevitable backlash, this is what I hope is happening not what is actually happening...

then again I did like the FLE expansion or at least how it's shaping up to look, very detailed and pretty cool overall... the initial announcement had me wetter than an ole wet hen but now I can enjoy some of what has been put there...hopefully this rumor about DTD undergoing some changes helps the nightlife and maybe just maybe the property is getting back onto focus..
    Yes, swimming. Ala Scrooge Mc'Duck.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I see it all in pennies and they're running around barefoot through it.

• Closed Account

As has been pointed out upthread - they are spending a ton of money, it's just not on things that are typically associated with the Disney Theme Park experience (new attractions, maintenance, etc). And the short answer for why they aren't spending money on things typically associated with the Disney Theme Park experience is ... they don't have to. People are still going to the parks, people are still spending money. Now of course, this is short term thinking, and they are taking their fans for granted, but right now -that's what the parks division is all about (short term thinking and using up all the goodwill they have built up over 60 years).
    Last edited by Krack; 02-18-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Money is a very complicated thing within a company like this. They just built a new resort and are in the process of completing a complete refurb of Fantasyland not to mention the new MyMagic+ which is supposed to enhance the guest experience. Also take into account the upkeep and marketing.

Walt Disney World's main customer base are people who typically visit the place once or twice a year, which means that it doesn't take much new to keep people going back. I'm not saying that they should forget making new things, but they can get away with fewer new things than, say, Disneyland.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Oh they are spending A LOT of money...

1+ billion on MM+
    500 million on New Fantasyland
    300 million on DVC for the Grand Floridia

They are spending A LOT down in Orlando right now... just not on what people want.
    I totally agree that there is a lot of money being spent. But the question is if the company and the costumers going to get value out of all that money.

From my point of view the 500 million on New Fantasyland has some value for the guest. It has been a long time since the Magic Kingdom has gotten any upgrades so this was nice. A few more attractions would have been better I think but at lease it is something.

The 300 million on DVC for the Grand Floridia has very limited value unless you are are a DVC member.

The 1+ billion on MM+ is the big question mark. Can they turn WDW into a cruise ship? I'm still not that MM+ is going to work the way the upper management thinks it going to work. I don't think that MM+ has enough value to make me want to go to WDW.

• Mr Test Track

I think they could have used the 1 billion on something SO much better than the MyMagic+ thingy. The Hollywood Studios refresh would be the same amount as the MyMagic+ thingy. I think that if they want to do this weird thingy, they should have executed it better.
    Trips to WDW / DLR

Wilderness Lodge - 2 times
    Beach Club - 3 times
    Boardwalk - 2 times
    Caribbean Beach - 1 time
    Grand Floridian - 1 time
    Disneyland Hotel - 1 time
    Pop Century - 3 times
    DTD Holiday Inn Express - April 1st - April 5th

I am one of the few that think that Disney's investment in myMagic+ is the right move. I appreciate their willingness to invest into making a modern "magical" experience. In 5 years, I think we'll be surprised on how much further the Disney concept has been conceptualized through myMagic+. You might as well invest in technology early, instead of having to play catch up later.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmenning View Post
    I am one of the few that think that Disney's investment in myMagic+ is the right move. I appreciate their willingness to invest into making a modern "magical" experience. In 5 years, I think we'll be surprised on how much further the Disney concept has been conceptualized through myMagic+. You might as well invest in technology early, instead of having to play catch up later.
    Having JUST returned from 8 days at WDW I still have a really hard time seeing how myMagic+ is going to enhance the experience. Its ability to create "magic moments" during the quiet times is, perhaps, astounding (having your DD greeted, by name, by Princess of choice). But honestly a lot of that is, I fear, going to go out the window during Normal to busy times when crowds are high, lines are long, and when the "value" of the customization is lost. I fear that the suits that thought this up didn't spend enough time in the park when the line for the HM is 60 minutes plus and the walkways in TL are filled up. Seeing your name on the Buzz ride is pretty limited value as opposed to a capacity eating Omni-mover ride that lessons lines, uncrowds walkways and increases the "soft magic" that results.

• Minion

They're masters of "fixing" what ain't broke while ignoring what is.

Not a clue Rex, not a clue. They like spending money, just not on things they ought to. Don't get me wrong, the Fantasyland expansion is great and I'm sure MM+ will be great once the kinks are all worked out (including any privacy intrusion aspects, euuugh)...

... But having attractions look like they're in a Disney park rather than some sideshow should take much more precedence. This doesn't happen with all of the rides, but it happens to quite a few that it gets annoying. I only go there twice a year tops so I don't notice it much, but after lurking on the board for a bit it's really clear that they are skirting on maitenance and upkeep while throwing money at "new" things.

MM+ is all the proof necessary that Disney plans to continue to extract more-and-more from less-and-less -- blood from a stone -- instead of investing in the parks, keeping venues open and operating during all park hours and performing the maintenance and upkeep they used to be known for (i.e. Walt and Roy's way).

Building DVC properties is far more important than building and maintaining attractions, right?

Really, the only way to continue to grow the more-for-less model -- with shorter park hours and many venues shuttered, operating with partial operating hours and/or down for prolonged "maintenance" -- is to control access and dole-out the most desirable elements to Disney's most desired marks, er guests.
    Voila! MM+

Universal is building and improving their parks big time, thus creating value (and a sense that they want you and your business, not just your money).
    Disney has lost their way.
    Just when you think they can't devolve any further, they disappoint you again (and upcharge you for it).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast