Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Suspended

Re: Do you guys really want a Carsland?

I'm going to have to side with DisneySam on this one. The Cars franchise is mediocre at best (forgettable, really), and there is nothing about it that warrants cloning the land and placing it in the already struggling melting pot that is Hollywood Studios.

Bottom line: no Carsland, please.

• Metro-Retro Historian

I still think lands based on single film are a huge mistake in the long term. I also think assuming that everyone east of the Mississippi will go to Florida and everyone in the west will go to California is a poor strategy. It seems to me that they could sell a lot more Vacation Club memberships if people had reasons to visit both destinations.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I still think lands based on single film are a huge mistake in the long term…
    While I would agree with you 9 times out of 10, I think there is something extremely appealing about being able to step into a fully realized recreation of a fictional world on the scale of a full Land. That's the appeal of Cars Land as well as the appeal of Wizarding World of Harry Potter; Radiator Springs Racers is great and I'm sure The Forbidden Journey is great too, but the real draw is just being able to step into Radiator Springs or the Hogwarts grounds more or less exactly as they appeared in the films. It's something that you just can't capture with a single attraction.

That's also part of the reason why I think Avatar Land is such a terrible idea, because there's not the same kind of iconic location to recreate. You could capture the general vibe of Pandora with the bioluminescent plants and strange creatures, but there's not a distinct geography to recreate like there is with Radiator Springs and Hogwarts (on the other end of the spectrum, Star Wars has almost too many iconic locations that choosing only one would be at the expense of four or five other great ones).

I'm not even a massive fan of the Cars movies (both are easily Pixar's weakest efforts), but I can't deny that Cars Land works spectacularly. Disney should approach single-franchise lands with extreme caution, but if they're going to do it Cars Land should be the benchmark.

All of that being said, I completely agree with your later points. Using cloning as a quick-fix solution for the parks is only going to limit potential attendance. True, most people are going to stick to the park that's geographically closer to them, but there's a not insignificant number of people who are willing to travel to see both resorts. If you eliminate the diversity you're narrowing your target audience rather than expanding it.

I completely agree with everyone who is saying that there should be some significant degree of diversity among Disneyland parks and Walt Disney World parks, and parks overseas for that matter. For us Disney superfans it gives us more interest, excitement, motivation to visit the other parks. I've been fortunate to be able to go to all the American parks multiple times, but I never had an interest in seeing the international ones. After reading seeing what each had to offer and how they differ from the parks here I am now very interested on trying to see some of them (Disneyland Paris in particular).

As far as a Cars Land at WDW, until I read that Lasseter was set on porting it to Florida, I just assumed that the Cars section of the Art of Animation Resort was the WDW version. I have to say that even though I live in CA I saw the AoAR first and was super impressed with it (it is so cool!).

The notion of having an entire Cars Land at DHS is ridiculous! As many have said, it doesn't fit in thematically with the park AT ALL! Keep Cars Land in Anaheim, and find better, original, and more park appropriate ways to improve Hollywood Studios.

Ya it's too bad that Cars is becoming one of Disneys biggest franchises ever. Who would have thought they would like to capitalize on that and build as many attractions as they can! It is really horrible that Disney is out to make money!!!

Come on people, the only "Dreams" Disney makes now are for the stock holders. I'm ok with that. I don't ever plan on going to Disneyland, so if they build Carsland in WDW I'm ok with that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I know you guys will disagree with this, but I think these parks have turned into a regional type of thing. The people on the East usually go to WDW and the people in the West go to DL. I think they're targeting this way. I know when I lived in California, I had no desire to visit WDW. People will generally just go to their home park because it's closest. I know a few families that absolutely love WDW and are DVC members. They go often and they tell me that Carsland would be so awesome.

They are targeting the audiences on each coast. They don't really need to attract people from opposite coasts and I'm fine with it. Take the whole Pirates of the Caribbean deal. The Magic Kingdom didn't have Pirates at first, but visitors wanted it and they got it. Each will have its small differences and I'm perfectly okay with it.
    I have to say I agree with you. I think they've always tried to keep things regional whenever possible. At least until the opening of Epcot in 1982, they more or less kept promotions for the Florida property east of the Mississippi, and Disneyland likewise west of the Mississippi. When Epcot opened, however, they've tried to make the Florida resort something of an ultimate destination and not just a day trip.

As for Radiator Springs Racers, I'm neutral on the matter. But perhaps they could do a ride like Radiator Springs, but with a "Wreck-It Ralph" identity instead, themed to the game Sugar Rush obviously. Maybe they could call it Sugar Rush Racers. And hey, they both have almost the same initials (Radiator Springs Racers = RSR; Sugar Rush Racers = SRR).
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

I wouldn't mind it. But if they're going to spend a good chunk of money on porting something in from DL, I'd much rather see the Indiana Jones ride come over along with some associated theming. I do agree though, that something original and proprietary to Florida and DHS would be would I'd like to see most - and something specifically that went to some length to help DHS's identity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouseolini View Post
    I wouldn't mind it. But if they're going to spend a good chunk of money on porting something in from DL, I'd much rather see the Indiana Jones ride come over along with some associated theming. I do agree though, that something original and proprietary to Florida and DHS would be would I'd like to see most - and something specifically that went to some length to help DHS's identity issues.
    couldnt have said it better myself. There are so many other exciting lands Disney could do with the same type of technology as they did with Dinosaur and Body Wars for example. Personally I think given the right budget Star Tours, Indy, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles or Roger Rabbit could be used to create great theme park environments which would just as much fun as cars and but different.

Saying that while vie not been to either yet I'd rather see Carslamd than Toy Story Playland!

• New Member Goes Forth

Cars Land should stay at DCA. I have visited it and it is amazing. However, it is that good because there are only one of them. Any more Cars Land will dilute the theme of the land, as it is not unique
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• New Member Goes Forth

I forgot to add that John Lasseter wanted Cars LAnd only at DCA. I hope that he has bowed down because it will produce more money for PIXAR
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Nutty about Disney parks

Carlsand in WDW?
    No.

The whole point of Carsland was to give DCA a boost. Cloning it over here would kind of diminish the whole point of that booster and would take from DCA it's one standout unique identity. In fact I am a bit disappointed that Universal is cloning Harry Potter in their other resorts. Wizarding World should've remained exclusive to Orlando as a one of a kind mecca for Potter fans.

DLR and WDW can have lots of popular attractions cloned but at the same time, they need to provide unique aspects to give guests a reason to visit both resorts. Regionalizing two resorts that aren't even equal to one another is a pretty bad marketing move that could dumb down the brand to the likes of a chain.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Carlsand in WDW?
    No.

The whole point of Carsland was to give DCA a boost. Cloning it over here would kind of diminish the whole point of that booster and would take from DCA it's one standout unique identity. In fact I am a bit disappointed that Universal is cloning Harry Potter in their other resorts. Wizarding World should've remained exclusive to Orlando as a one of a kind mecca for Potter fans.

DLR and WDW can have lots of popular attractions cloned but at the same time, they need to provide unique aspects to give guests a reason to visit both resorts. Regionalizing two resorts that aren't even equal to one another is a pretty bad marketing move that could dumb down the brand to the likes of a chain.
    Yes!! Thank you!!

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

• "What is thy bidding?"

Shoot.. They could always put Toy Story Playland like they did in France and Hong Kong!!!! Ahhhhh!! Please dont do that.

I also agree that something fresh and original should be added to DHS. One CarsLand is more than sufficient.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Goofy View Post
    Shoot.. They could always put Toy Story Playland like they did in France and Hong Kong!!!! Ahhhhh!! Please dont do that.
    Luckily the other three resorts have Toy Story Mania. France and Hong Kong gor the short end of that stick.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    What I would like to see Disney do is a Radiator Springs Racers ride themed to the World Grand Prix from Cars 2. They could put it where Lights, Motor, Action Stunt Show is now. That way they wouldn't have to build Radiator Springs in there.
    How does themeing it to the World Grand Prix make it fit into Hollywood Studios? I could see that making it fit into the World Showcase, but not the studios.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    But perhaps they could do a ride like Radiator Springs, but with a "Wreck-It Ralph" identity instead, themed to the game Sugar Rush obviously. Maybe they could call it Sugar Rush Racers. And hey, they both have almost the same initials (Radiator Springs Racers = RSR; Sugar Rush Racers = SRR).
    That doesn’t fit into the park, either.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast