• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Land of Oz Garden at Epcot

Here's the article:
    http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...ears-at-epcot/

I normally think these gardens are pretty cool. This one, though, has one feature (that is actively being advertised) that worries me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Parks Blog
    As kids play in and around a giant custom Oz-themed play structure, parents can enjoy shaded, comfy chairs just a few steps away.
    Not only here, but this trend is slowly starting to develop- one where kids play and the adults sit on a bench, or generally just on the sidelines (Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh as example). Now where have I heard something against this philosophy? Hmm....
    Last edited by dland_lover; 02-15-2013 at 02:17 PM.

• Pooloo See Bagoomba

Re: Land of Oz Garden at Epcot

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Now where have I heard something against this philosophy? Hmm....
    Yes. If there was a place where parents and children could have fun together.

• Inappropriate

As a parent, I'm fine with some playgrounds where I can sit for a bit while my kid burns off some energy.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Mostly Harmless.

I didn't see it as saying parents have to sit and watch the kids play... Looks like fun, I'd be there with my kids playing!
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

What bothers me about the benches is not that they have them, but that they're singled out as the thing for parents to do while the kids play. Disney didn't have to show the kids playing and then cut to the adults sitting in the shade from afar. For a promotional video I would expect them to show how much fun everyone can have together, not separate the two groups. Disney Theme Parks have always been a place for everyone to stop being separate and to come together to have fun with one another for a while, whether it be a day or a week or more.

This is another example of the Declining by Degrees effect, IMO. DbD isn't just about the physical conditions of the properties, or even the quality of the offerings worsening gradually. It's also applicable to the entire experience right down to how we spend our time with each other. Suffice it to say I'm disheartened by the current state of Disney management.

• Bangarang!

I really don't like this whole set up. And its seems really odd having it in EPCOT. Should have done in the Studios, if at all.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

ORDDU: They probably didn't have the room to do this same sort of thing at the Studios. Also, I think some of you are misunderstanding what Walt Disney meant to say when he expressed the sentiment of taking his daughters to a park to ride a merry-go-round while he sat on a bench waiting for them. The sort of park he used to take his daughters to can't begin to compare with ANY of the Disney theme parks that have been built since. If sitting on benches all day waiting for children to finish riding the kiddie rides was the ONLY thing an adult had to do at the parks, THAT is what would be so undesireable. But, fortunately, Disney theme parks offer much, much more than merry-go-rounds and kiddie rides. Just as young children have to wait for teenagers and adults while they ride some of the more intense rollercoasters that they are too young to ride, there will always be kiddie rides that adults are obliged to wait for their children to enjoy. The point IS there are never any absolutes when it comes to such things and I'm sure Walt realized this. Therefore, there will still be times when adults wait around on benches while the todlers get to enjoy their playgrounds. As long as there is variety so that this is not the ONLY thing for adults to do at the parks, this is what Walt was striving for and he succeeded very well.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Disney Theme Parks have always been a place for everyone to stop being separate and to come together to have fun with one another for a while, whether it be a day or a week or more.
    management.
    This stopped when Walt built the Matterhorn. And then got pushed further over the edge with every Mountain attraction since.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I really don't like this whole set up. And its seems really odd having it in EPCOT. Should have done in the Studios, if at all.
    It's only temporary, just to promote the new movie coming out and something for the Flower & Garden festival. Last year on the same spot was the Highland games to promote Brave.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Oh boy benches! And why is this at Epcot. It's just a temporary thing so I'm not all that upset about it, nor do I expect them to put much thought into temporary things, but who was thinking up ways to promote OZ in the parks and thought Epcot? Is it just because it has the most available space?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    It's only temporary, just to promote the new movie coming out and something for the Flower & Garden festival. Last year on the same spot was the Highland games to promote Brave.
    I appreciate that its only temporary, but it still seems an odd fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Oh boy benches! And why is this at Epcot. It's just a temporary thing so I'm not all that upset about it, nor do I expect them to put much thought into temporary things, but who was thinking up ways to promote OZ in the parks and thought Epcot? Is it just because it has the most available space?
    I'm with you, it seems like they just looked for the biggest patch of empty floor space and said "that'll do". Its just sort of plopped in one of the walkways, perhaps it wouldn't have been as bad if they could have put it in the marquee between the UK and France.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Looks a bit "off-the-shelf", even as a temporary attraction. My first thought, after I got over the poorly conceived video, was that I could buy most of what I just saw from a playground equipment manufacturer. Again, I realize it isn't permanent, but it certainly doesn't appear to have sprung from the greatest creative minds at Disney.
    ~ Erik

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I'm with you, it seems like they just looked for the biggest patch of empty floor space and said "that'll do". Its just sort of plopped in one of the walkways, perhaps it wouldn't have been as bad if they could have put it in the marquee between the UK and France.
    lol welcome to the flower and garden festival, thats all they really do with this event. fill all the larger places and WoL with exhibits (like oz garden and Bambi's butterfly house) and the smaller spaces with topiaries. it doesn't matter per say about whether they fit or not just that their there. not to say that i necessarily agree with how they do things just saying how it is.
    Last edited by goofy donald; 02-17-2013 at 07:51 AM.