Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Possible DTD re-theme/expansion

Thanks!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    there wont be an actual railway, as the author explained, it will be an elevated platform themed to look like an old elevated railway. most likely this elevated space will house a nice outdoor bar area where guests can overlook the activity bellow.
    That makes sense. After all it's not like they already have a type of elevated train that services sections of the resort already. Even if they did it's not like they could expand it to also serve Downtown Disney and attach a restaurant/bar to a real working station for it. I mean how would you theme such a thing? It's just impossible.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

No problem.

• New Member Goes Forth

Re: Replacement to PI?

this could have the potential to compete with CityWalk, as the footfall for DTD has dropped. Could have a nice theme to it.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    That makes sense. After all it's not like they already have a type of elevated train that services sections of the resort already. Even if they did it's not like they could expand it to also serve Downtown Disney and attach a restaurant/bar to a real working station for it. I mean how would you theme such a thing? It's just impossible.
    lol I'm just explaining whats happening to someone who didn't fully understand the concept, not illustrating what should actually happen. while i agree that would be really cool, i think the walkway in the middle of west side would be a little narrow for both a track and station. also i think the key to the whole bar concept being elevated is it keeps the nightlife separate from the family activities while adding in a little unique thematic flare, however i do agree that a monorail expansion would be a wonderful addition albeit a much more costly one then this expansion suggests.

According to WDWMagic, the announcement will be made tomorrow.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

BREAKING: Press announcement delayed until weather clears up. "Disney Springs" (DTD) officially announced to cast members earlier today. 2 parking structures. Bridge being built between Rainforest and TREX. Cap'n Jack's closing. Expansion of World of Disney. Pleasure Island as we know it is no more. Look for official public announcement in coming days or weeks.

Source: WDWMagic
    Last edited by MickeyM; 03-12-2013 at 01:47 PM.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

"Disney Springs"

So people have talked about the supposed potential changes coming to Downtown Disney at WDW, and have posted the one image of the plans for the overhaul.

Now this is out:
    Leaked Concept Art & Details – “Disney Springs” Set to Replace WDW’s Downtown Disney | WDW News Today ,
    with a supposed official announcement from Disney coming very soon.

What are your thoughts?

Personally, I think the name "Springs" is lame and overused throughout the country for various areas/neighborhoods/etc.
    Unless they plan on building a new area that actually looks and feels like a downtown area with new shops, restaurants, nightlife, etc (which we all know is not happening) that they plan on naming "Downtown Disney," it seems silly to me that they rename the current DD "Disney Springs." I'm thinking that they just wanna re-brand this area now, possibly to help create excitement, but c'mon man, "Disney Springs," really? Feels like it should be a retirement community on the WDW property, lol.

What do you guys think of the renderings/plans/designs?

• Mr Test Track

Re: Replacement to PI? [Merged Threads]

I can't wait until it is finally released so I can finally find out what is going into the new buildings!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: "Disney Springs"

I first thought the Sprigs name was dumb, but looking at the layout and concept art, and how it has the old Florida charm I am on board with this.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I always thought "Downtown Disney" was miss leading anyway. It sounds like you should find it on Mains Street at the Magic Kingdom.

I'm ok with the new name as it does seem to fit with the "old Florida" type theme, as the art work seems to do. I think its time to "re-brand" the whole idea. It has turned into a ghost town compared to what it use to be. The additions they have proposed (or have been leaked) sounds like a nice infusion of new while still being able to drag along the old.

I'm all for it, change is good!

The name "Disney Springs" helps relate the area to Saratoga Springs, which according to the plans will be connected by a bridge. It makes sense that the two should share a common theme. Saratoga Springs is one of the biggest DVC home resorts, is it not? I would think that DVC members are one of the target audiences for DD. These plans specifically refer to elements that will make people want to return to DD again and again. I bet they are angling to get those Saratoga Springs DVC guests to see DD as part of their resort, and to walk on over and spend some $$! Tourists who aren't repeat WDW visitors aren't as likely to make DD a priority. After all, they can find most of the same stores and restaurants in any city in the country -- why waste one of the only Disney days of your life there? But repeat WDW visitors (like the typical Saratoga Springs guest) have the time to branch out beyond the parks. So it makes sense to tie DD in with a DVC resort.

The plans do look nice...nothing revolutionary, but they do address some things that make DD less than ideal. Right now, DD doesn't have much of a theme. It just feels like a randomly cobbled together shopping mall, except that it is outdoors with NO shade! From the looks of these plans, the main shopping area will be partially enclosed with fountains, which will make it shady and cooler - much nicer! The plans also add a lot more plant life and move the bus stops to the center, which makes much more sense.

Overall I like the concept. Right now Downtown Disney is very disjointed and does not share a common theme. This helps tie everything together. It also helps alleviate some of the more aggrevated issues with transportation, namely the bus stops and car parking. My only hope is that they find a way to bring back the Adventurer's Club. I know it is just a pipe dream but who knows. Also an update to DisneyQuest would be much appreciated but unlikely.

Given what is presented, I think Hyperion Warf was worth the cancellation.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Cool Yule

Looks like any hope of the Clubs has long since gone. I would have hoped that they could have found a place for the two popular clubs to return if they were doing a whole new district.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast