Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Re: Replacement to PI? [Merged Threads]

In response as to why PI closed, one theory (or fact, I'm not sure) I read recently stated that the clubs couldn't make a decent profit for years and the island's regulars became off-duty cast members and fans like us. Problem was, people would not spend enough money on drinks to financially support the clubs (Adventurers' Club and Comedy Warehouse, anyone?) and the floorspace became too valuable. Compared to Marketplace's profits, I can see how it could lose money. On top of this, the post I read cited the island's wierd admission system and it's location between West Side and Marketplace as another factor for its downfall.
    Do you think this may have been the reason PI closed? Please discuss.

I heard that one vendor was interested in Beach Club and Disney thought "Hey, this is a great idea. We'll make more money off of leasing these spaces" and they shut them down without realizing that they needed the foot traffic. Because the lack of traffic in that area, the vendor backed out and it's been like that since.

That's pretty much the only story that made sense to me. We'll probably never really know.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Team Hail HYDRA

If you go on the Disney Parks Blogs they confirmed it. there are more photos and a model

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

I'm really diggin' the turn of the century/old Florida/Grand Floridian theme in the concept art. Looks like a cool place to spend some time.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    If you go on the Disney Parks Blogs they confirmed it. there are more photos and a model
    Here's the blog post.

Announcing Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on March 14th, 2013 by Tom Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

Earlier today, we unveiled plans for Disney Springs, the exciting, multi-year transformation of Downtown Disney at the Walt Disney World Resort, and I’d like to give you all a glimpse into what we’ve got planned.

Walt Disney World Resort guests and local Florida residents have been enjoying Downtown Disney for more than 30 years, but we knew we had an opportunity to reimagine and reinvent this corner of the resort. We’ve spent a good deal of time thinking through just what we want this area to be, and how to bring it to life to make it a place unlike any other. And we have even scrapped a few preliminary plans that we felt didn’t measure up to our aspirations for this place.
    Our fundamental goal is to create a welcoming, comfortable space where families can enjoy time together and instantaneously feel right at home. We want to give them opportunities to relax, to be entertained, to wander in and out of unique and distinctive shops or enjoy a world-class dining experience. And because we are Disney, we’ve anchored the entire experience around a story that gives us the ability to deliver on the legendary place-making and creativity for which we are known. The result is Disney Springs, a timeless and vibrant place that celebrates the turn-of-the century lakeside towns that dotted the Florida landscape.

Gallery

Announcing Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort

The story of Disney Springs begins at our new Town Center, which is oriented around a series of bubbling natural springs that first attracted settlers to the area. From there, the town grew to encompass three additional neighborhoods: The Landing, Marketplace and West Side – each with its own distinct charm and atmosphere. For more about each of these districts, click here.
    Once complete, Disney Springs will expand from 75 to more than 150 shopping, dining and entertainment venues, featuring some of the world’s most iconic brands and restaurants. Construction is set to begin next month. The expansion will open in phases and we expect to complete our development in 2016. We look forward to sharing more details in the future here on the Disney Parks Blog.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Banned User

Does Florida with its swamps have "bubbling natural springs" ? While Disney does a great job with theming, sometimes they go out of their way creating nonsensical backstories. Usually, natural springs are in cold climate regions. People visit where the air is slightly cool to enjoy naturally occuring hot spring water. Unless they plan on having lots of spas, pools, and bathhouses, I don't see how they can skip this part and just have stores and restaurants.

I prefer they have a backstory. That's what I enjoyed about PI. Everything had a backstory.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    In response as to why PI closed, one theory (or fact, I'm not sure) I read recently stated that the clubs couldn't make a decent profit for years and the island's regulars became off-duty cast members and fans like us. Problem was, people would not spend enough money on drinks to financially support the clubs (Adventurers' Club and Comedy Warehouse, anyone?) .
    As anyone who studied at an in university knows in Freshment Orientation they teach you about preloading. Drink at home before going to a bar or club. That way you are already drunk and not dependent on buy drinks which are more expensive than at a grocery/liquor store.

If you happen to go to House of Blues you will find tons of CPs there. Since some of the other clubs left, other businesses have found a way to get the CPs business. Party buses to clubs in Orlando. So the CPs preload get on the bus and go to those clubs. If a club opens in DTD, the CMs may not be attracted back. I'm don't know but would the CPs be able to board Disney buses drunk, because the party buses allow it, and have onboard bathrooms. It may be hard to get back that customer base.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Does Florida with its swamps have "bubbling natural springs" ? While Disney does a great job with theming, sometimes they go out of their way creating nonsensical backstories. Usually, natural springs are in cold climate regions. People visit where the air is slightly cool to enjoy naturally occuring hot spring water. Unless they plan on having lots of spas, pools, and bathhouses, I don't see how they can skip this part and just have stores and restaurants.
    While hot springs bubble, most people don't know why. The reason is escaping gases, not steam from boiling water. Few springs are over the 200 boiling point of water in Yellowstone National Park. That stinky smell you may notice on the edge of lakes and ponds in the mud and in Yellowtone is usually hydrogen sulfide gas. In springs what often bubble up is carbon dioxide and carbon monozide.

If you look in the names of town and cities in Florida, there are many springs. Even Ponce De Leon found a spring in Florida. The pennisula of Florida is over a giant aquifer which is why springs occer naturally all over the place.

I suspect the "bubbling natural springs', will not actually bubble, but boil in a manner where boil means to rise above the surface, not bubble.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Florida is known for it COLD fresh water springs. Even today they are major attractions here in Florida.

Wakiva Springs, Blue Springs, Silver Springs, Weechi Wachi Springs

They are incredible places to explore, and have a very special and important part in Florida history. Heck it was fresh water spring resorts that brought Walt Disney down to Florida in the first place.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The more and more this gets promoted on "Disney Parks Blog" the more I'm starting to see truth to these rumors.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Florida is known for it COLD fresh water springs. Even today they are major attractions here in Florida.

Wakiva Springs, Blue Springs, Silver Springs, Weechi Wachi Springs

They are incredible places to explore, and have a very special and important part in Florida history. Heck it was fresh water spring resorts that brought Walt Disney down to Florida in the first place.
    Too bad that they can't tap into a real one, Meeki Meeni Springs would be awesome.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Here are some images from Old Florida when Walt Disney would have been vacationing here pre and post DisneyLAND before WDW was even a thought

Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Team Hail HYDRA

bet we will see more at d23

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

"Dining with the Alligators" looks like the kind of features Disney should bring back.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast