Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Replacement to PI? [Merged Threads]

I have no idea the credibility of this. What do you guys think of it?
    Save Pleasure Island: Disney Springs To Replace Downtown Disney!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Re: Replacement to PI?

looks great! be interesting to see how they pull this off but a change to DTD especially one bringing back nightlife entertainment will be huge. hopefully they tie the theme somewhat throughout the whole place though and make it a bit less disjointed.

I think that it could have the potential to compete with Citywalk if they do it right. Knowing WDW, being announced and being done are completely different now. I hope we get something like this.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Cool Yule

As others have said, if done right (and if true) it sounds a decent enough plan.. but TDO haven't exactly hit home runs of late. And they seem reluctant to spend.

I guess this could be a merger of the plans for Flamingo Crossing and Hyperion Wharf, so there was a budget allocated for those projects.

And (stating the obvious) this "Landing" better include the Comedy Warehouse, Mannequins and the Adventurers Club.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

It looks interesting, but it cuts out a lot of parking space, which, believe it or not, is MUCH needed on especially a Friday or Saturday night at DTD. I've lost count how many times I've driven through a totally PACKED parking lot at DTD trying to find a parking space.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    It looks interesting, but it cuts out a lot of parking space, which, believe it or not, is MUCH needed on especially a Friday or Saturday night at DTD. I've lost count how many times I've driven through a totally PACKED parking lot at DTD trying to find a parking space.
    they said that they would combat this with a large parking garage like what universal has in the article.

• Metro-Retro Historian

The layout looks like it could work. The bigger issue is whether than can fill it with anything worth visiting. They also forgot the monorail station.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    they said that they would combat this with a large parking garage like what universal has in the article.
    Somehow I don't see them spending the money on that, when they could spend in a another whole resort.

I think the OP's question of credibility is very valid. There is a lack of source material to provide evidence that any thing close to that photo is planned.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Cool Yule

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    They also forgot the monorail station.
    Oh if only!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Somehow I don't see them spending the money on that, when they could spend in a another whole resort.

I think the OP's question of credibility is very valid. There is a lack of source material to provide evidence that any thing close to that photo is planned.
    I think in wdw's mindset its the ideal way to spend their money. why wouldn't they want to draw as many people as possible to the area of the resort where you have to spend extra money everywhere you go? sure they make money off park passes, food, and hotels, but the place they make the real profits is souvenirs and merchandise. they will make much more money off a successfully expanded DTD then they ever would off of a new resort.

I agree. Besides, they just finished building one. I don't think they need another resort at the moment.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    they will make much more money off a successfully expanded DTD then they ever would off of a new resort.
    I would bet money against that.

Disney resorts are money machines, they are the envy of the industry for filling rooms they make $50 to $400 a night times the thousand(s) of room per resort. DTD is renting spaces to 3rd parties, not retaining all the profit earned in the buidlings and getting none from the unoccupied spaces.

If it is so ideal, why didn't it work out the first time? Why didn't they expand or create more shopping areas?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It looks fan-made.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I would bet money against that.

Disney resorts are money machines, they are the envy of the industry for filling rooms they make $50 to $400 a night times the thousand(s) of room per resort. DTD is renting spaces to 3rd parties, not retaining all the profit earned in the buidlings and getting none from the unoccupied spaces.

If it is so ideal, why didn't it work out the first time? Why didn't they expand or create more shopping areas?
    1) there is a limit to the amount of on property rooms you can have before you run out of people to fill those spots. the less hotel rooms there are, the greater the demand, and in turn the greater you can drive up the price particularily for the moderate and deluxe level resorts. not every guest is going to want to pay on property prices or stay trapped on property and in turn are focused off site anyways. the biggest money maker in the hotel sector for WDW is the DVC, hence why you see so many DVC rooms being built. combine that with the recent AoA hotel being built and there are plenty of rooms on property, any more and you start having to drive down the prices closer to arrival dates and spend money tending to empty rooms. sure the increased selection is great for the guest but less hotels means less upkeep costs and less empty rooms to take care of for disney.

2) First off I would say DTD has 'worked out' the issue is simply that they expanded the area in three different pieces and didnt really connect the areas together really well, this plan would do that. Yes DTD is renting spaces that is true, but many of the stores in the area are also specialty disney run stores which is all pure company profit. on top of that, the stores and restaurants that are there and not run by disney pay an extremely exorbitant rent and disney has no upkeep costs for those areas except for the pathways and gardens, which is a huge plus and a main reason why they like it so much, its pure profit for doing relatively nothing. this plan would also serve to occupy every space, they wouldn't entertain a new expansion if they didn't have some sort of plan to bring in new vendors and fill all the space. this expansion would serve as a major shopping area increase and serve to tie everything together somewhat which would be a much appreciated addition in my opinion. you have to remember as well that a large portion of guests going to the resort visit DTD at least once, sure you may not have people paying to stay there, but you do have a massive amount of people going through those stores everyday purchasing and in turn giving the company money. It all comes down to this, theres simply less upkeep and more opertunity for pure profit in renting and selling in DTD then operating a hotel, particularily of the deluxe variety. I'm willing to bet in a year they come out with more pure profit (particularily after a major expansion like this) from DTD then many hotels in the resort.

@californiaadventurer: it was a drawing by a fan, based off of descriptions of paperwork filed with the south florida water management district. the drawing was attempting to give a visual to the things disney wishes to be approved for.

• Cool Yule

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    It looks fan-made.
    I believe it is. Looks like some assumptions correlated from the filings with the local authority and put into a graphic so its easier to see from the presumably sketchy plans that could have been seen/leaked.

Still, not harm in speculating.

Walt Disney

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast