Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feral Cats in the Magic Kingdom? DisneyLand has them.

Did you know that Disneyland has cats that walk the grounds of the parks?

I think they came there not to long after it opened, I think Disney wanted to keep them because it would help with the mice and rat problem. I think that now they take care of the cats, taking them to the vet and getting them fixed.

With that being said, are there any stray cats that lounge around the Magic Kingdom Parks?

I'm asking this because I am a cat person, I have two lovely little tiger cats of my own. And I'm being some what curious.

And this question may seem out of the blue but, I've seen videos of people petting a couple of the cats in Disneyland... If they like human contact then how can they be feral?

And another question I have is, as anyone ever tried taking them home? LOL I guess the answer people would say is no. And no I would not ever try and smuggle them out... that would be bad. But, my mind is wondering about tonight with curious questions.

Re: Feral Cats in the Magic Kingdom? DisneyLand has them.

I once witnessed some tourists feeding the cats that were hanging around the Hungry Bear Restaurant. They were feeding them their turkey sandwiches they had brought. They didn't speak English so I couldn't tell them that what they were doing probably wasn't a good idea. It bothered me enough to go and talk to City Hall about it because I was concerned that someone could get scratched or bit from a cat. I was also concerned about the health of the cats because someone could feed it something that could make it sick. City Hall didn't seem all that concerned (this was about two years ago). Perhaps the person I talked to didn't understand.
    If the cats become used to humans and being fed, then what's the point of keeping the cats around to help control the vermin?

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I don't think the cats are being "kept" around. I think they are just stray cats that have just found a home and stuck around. I know I run into a few at Hungry Bear and they rarely come out unless there are no or minimal people around.

And please don't try to take them home. Not only would you be disturbing the cats living arrangements but you really don't know what you would be bringing into your home. If you are in want of a cat to save, I'm sure there are alot of shelters around you.

I haven't seen any. I have seen a ton of feral birds, however.

They are very clever beasts. One distracts while the other steals your $10 cheeseburger.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

I've done a lot of reading on the Disneyland cats, but have never found anything indicating a similar program in Florida. If they do have one, it's not as well-known.

• Minion

ORGOCH: No feral cats at Walt Dizzy Whirl! The gators there eats 'em up!

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post

And please don't try to take them home. Not only would you be disturbing the cats living arrangements but you really don't know what you would be bringing into your home. If you are in want of a cat to save, I'm sure there are alot of shelters around you.

Ummm I never wanted to take them home lol just wondered if anyone had any stories to tell about that. Again, I have two cats. lol That is enough for me

I do know some people do outlandish things I figured SOMEONE (NOT ME) would try something crazy like that. lol I guess because I've seen comments on peoples youtube videos about the cats... I have seen a couple people say quote "Awww, I'd take it home with me!" - So lol not me but, others may have tried.

I love hearing crazy guest and employee stories from the parks.

And yeah they are being kept there... But, NOT because someone brought them there (Disneyland) They came there on their own. Walt Disney said himself to let them stay that they would help keep down the rodent problem.

And the cats today that are there ARE fixed, and they DO have a vet that helps take care of the cats, so the cats shouldn't have anything wrong with them like rabies and such, that is if they are given their shots.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Tamkins1985 View Post
    And yeah they are being kept there... But, NOT because someone brought them there (Disneyland) They came there on their own. Walt Disney said himself to let them stay that they would help keep down the rodent problem.
    I'm sorry but your comments are contradictory...if they are being kept there, how are they there on their own? I may be reading it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamkins1985 View Post
    And the cats today that are there ARE fixed, and they DO have a vet that helps take care of the cats, so the cats shouldn't have anything wrong with them like rabies and such, that is if they are given their shots.
    Now that I did not know! I wonder if this can be confirmed.

And I just realized this thread is in the Walt Disney World Resort forum. My comments about the cats are referring to Disneyland cats, since that is where I frequent. Just to be clear. I know nothing about the Disney World cats or if they are seen by vets or not. But wonder if the Disneyland ones are seeing vets.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I've heard that they regularly capture the cats, take them to the vet for shots, getting fixed, etc. There's little "houses" that you can see from the train...they are feeding stations for them. We saw kittens from the tram once. They were the cutest little things. They had found a possum and were making friends with it.

We'd been to WDW many times...and had never seen any cats. That's one of the exciting things about DL for my family. It's tradition to look for them on the tram. We often see a black and white one and a yellow one. They like to sleep in the bushes.

TNR at Work - Disneyland Finds Balance with Feral Cats - Alley Cat Allies

And it says quote "After the cats are neutered and returned to the park grounds, they receive continuing managed care. They dine at five discreet feeding stations throughout the resort, which are strategically placed to minimize interaction with cast members and resort guests."

Yeah, so to sum it up they are being took care of.
    Last edited by Tamkins1985; 02-20-2013 at 10:34 AM.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Disneyland has cat they like to hang around Critter Country and Storybookland. Lots of plants and lots of mice. CMs like to tell guests that they are there to get the Mice-impostinators... I don't think that Disney would use cats in Florida, to much weather changes. Also at Disneyland Circle D Ranch cares for the cats.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Under that tree again!

Here is a strange fact.

Cats spontaneously appear in farm areas. Dogs too.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

The cats stay there because they're being taken care of. Why leave?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Our first trip to DL...I went actively looking for the cats. I'm a cat freak...and had seen them in SO many pictures, I was determined to find them...I found one over by The Hungry Bear restaurant. He was sitting by the water, staring at a duck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast