Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Disney submits plans for an omnimover boat ride

Quote Originally Posted by PerrySimon View Post
    Here's a picture of it and I have one question about it. What is that thing in the back of the building. To me it almost looks like a giant ditch that you float over.
    The patent explains that if you have the vehicles chained together you can create a portion of the ride that seems to be free floating because the boats ahead will pull these boats through the free floating "space". So essentially when the boats enter this portion of the ride system they leave the channel that guides the boats and appear to magically float through the space. It also explains that you can use this space to have the "boats" travel onto a land portion of the ride. It definitely sounds... interesting.

• formerly very helpful

Although its not a water ride, it seems similar to the omnimover used in Spaceship Earth. In my opinion, that system doesn't detract from the ride, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic about this. I hope they use this system in the US parks.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Well technically Forbidden Journey is an Omnimover... the ride vehicles never stop cycling. However with FJ ride system, you feel like you are alone on this journey because of how Universal Creative designed that incredible system.

This just underwhelms me. but I again will reserve judgement until I actually see this.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Team Hail HYDRA

This looks cool
    maybe a ride at epcot.........

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    This looks cool
    maybe a ride at epcot.........
    I would be money it is:

1. For Shanghai
    2. For Avatar

• Team Hail HYDRA

^Sadly i bet that your right
    (not that im not excited for SDL)

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I don't really get the reason for it other than purely for higher capacity. There has to be a better way.
    I think you hit the nail on the head

• Filmmaker

High capacity is definitely a factor here, but I think there's some interesting ideas that this ride mechanic offers that you couldn't do with anything else. For example, the ability for ride vehicles to transition between water and land could have a whole lot of really neat applications. Also the idea of "free floating" segments where you're simply guided by the boat ahead of you could be cool as well.

Omni-mover is a great system, and has allowed for a lot of really neat experiences. If they can take that technology and put it in the water I say why not?

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I would be money it is:

1. For Shanghai
    2. For Avatar
    Now there's a thought. Wasn't Avatar 2 supposed to set in the oceans of Pandora? That is, if Avy-land ever gets going..

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    HATHAWAY, I think you're on to something.

Didn't Disney say there's going to be some kind of boat ride under the castle? Kind of a replacement for "it's a small world" or something like that, to be based on fairy tales?
    The Castle Boat ride does sound like another likely candidate. The concept had canopy boats akin to those of the Jungle Cruise or Listen to the Land, so quite a serene journey with a portion in some sort of cavern. That could suit the free floating portion Jsanch mentions in post #16.

I guess its quite possible, in these days of "bulk buy" they're planning on having this in Shanghai and one of the US parks, to save money... but that'd mean TDO would have to put its hand in its pockets. And we all know how they just love to do that these days.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

The "wave machine" could also add an additional dynamic that doesn't exist on any other existing theme park ride.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I would be money it is:

2. For Avatar
    When I first saw this thread, it made me think of the boat ride that some rumored discovered Avatarland plans included.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    It seems a bit weird. With all the boats attached like this being driven by a chain I would think that these boats wouldn't feel like they were floating. This makes me wonder why you would have a boat at all except to fit the ride's theme. It's a very strange ride system and I don't really get the reason for it other than purely for higher capacity. There has to be a better way.
    In the patent it mentioned that the lenth of the boats is not exactly the lenthg of the track. This could mean there is a little slack that lets the boats wander a bit, be it rocking or weaving.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

The whole purpose of the patent is to demonstrate how the system would work. The boats could be close together for the purpose of demonstration. It's possible that the boats could be somewhat far yet attached and constantly moving.

Makes me wish I could see the other diagrams.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    In the patent it mentioned that the lenth of the boats is not exactly the lenthg of the track. This could mean there is a little slack that lets the boats wander a bit, be it rocking or weaving.
    this defeats the entire purpose of chaining them together though. the point i gathered from the article was to reduce the jerking and bumping the individual boats suffered from along with increasing hourly capacity. if there were any slack in the chain there would be just as much jerking and much less safe to load in true omnimover fashion.

• Not here to help

This must be for Disneyland in Shanghai. Their Pirates ride will not feature a drop.

The way the ride is presented I have to say an omnimover system is a very bad idea for a boat ride like Pirates or even Small World.
    To be honest it all just looks boring. ...but that is what Disney semes to be doing best these days...
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    this defeats the entire purpose of chaining them together though. the point i gathered from the article was to reduce the jerking and bumping the individual boats suffered from along with increasing hourly capacity. if there were any slack in the chain there would be just as much jerking and much less safe to load in true omnimover fashion.
    Not nessecarily. In the station, you keep the boats locked in place by the drive belt so it's smooth when people load and unload. Out of the station you can push the boats compressing them together, pull them back in under tension. At the middle you can have the slack area. You can repeat this with mutliple drive system areas to allow freedom and more controled areas if desired.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast