Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Minion

Re: Disney submits plans for an omnimover boat ride

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Not nessecarily. In the station, you keep the boats locked in place by the drive belt so it's smooth when people load and unload. Out of the station you can push the boats compressing them together, pull them back in under tension. At the middle you can have the slack area. You can repeat this with mutliple drive system areas to allow freedom and more controled areas if desired.
    the drive system could not accomplish that in the proposed design. this theory could never be choreographed perfectly enough to stop jerking from occurring and once it does, the gravitational force on the drive belt would by no means be enough force to keep the boats in the loading dock in place, there would just be way to much weight pulling them forward.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    the drive system could not accomplish that in the proposed design. this theory could never be choreographed perfectly enough to stop jerking from occurring and once it does, the gravitational force on the drive belt would by no means be enough force to keep the boats in the loading dock in place, there would just be way to much weight pulling them forward.
    An automatic tensioning spring aided spool and cable system world work very well to do what they say they are trying to do. Each boat connected together with cables that could be controlled statically with springs, or electrically. Electrically could even be tied into sensor stations to play out cable in the areas they want more of a free float option and then other to reel in as they close them up.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    An automatic tensioning spring aided spool and cable system world work very well to do what they say they are trying to do. Each boat connected together with cables that could be controlled statically with springs, or electrically. Electrically could even be tied into sensor stations to play out cable in the areas they want more of a free float option and then other to reel in as they close them up.
    i think that could work very well actually, however the cable system was never discussed in the patent from the looks of things so therefore i guess we have to assume that it will be a purely static tethering system of some kind and can only debate about the length of the tether.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Well technically Forbidden Journey is an Omnimover... the ride vehicles never stop cycling. However with FJ ride system, you feel like you are alone on this journey because of how Universal Creative designed that incredible system.

This just underwhelms me. but I again will reserve judgement until I actually see this.
    Umm, kinda... it uses an Omni-mover type loading system. But that is it. It's just like Peter Pan in Florida, PeopleMover, or even the original Journey into Imagination. And none of those are omni-movers.
    -Bill

Did it say what park they were thinking about placing this?

• Inappropriate

I want to like this, but I'm not sure what the point of it is. It can't be a capacity issue, since the Pirates and Small World boats have some of the largest capacities in the parks. And they already have the illusion of wide open waterways, like when you come upon the ship/fort battle in Pirates. You're out in open water. And normal omnimovers can have elevation changes. Floating omnimover boats on water can't. I just...I just don't see the point in this.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    What really matters is how they use this in a show. What will the guests see and experience from this vehicle? Like anything, it has the potential to be the greatest new thing, or the worst. Let's hope they put most of their attention on the show itself, and not just the vehicle.
    Yeah its how they implement the design which will determine if its a success or not, also keep in mind when Disney patents technology they may not even use it. Just want to hold the patent!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

I think this could be interesting. Lets wait and see what The technology looks like & what Disney do with it!

• Mr Test Track

I can't wait until they actually use this patent. That would be money in a good direction

I think the title of this thread is a little misleading. Disney is like Apple. They file many patents and a lot of them never see the light of day. It's an interesting concept and it definitely would be interesting to see them use it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123