• Mickey icecream sammiches

Magic Kingdom waterways...

(I apologize if this has already been addressed in a previous thread, I'm new to the MiceChat Forum.)

Was there an original plan at Magic Kingdom to have the waterways used for transportation or a ride?

The last time I was at WDW I was told by a cast member that there was a plan for something like that, like a boat to take people around the park. And the last few times I've been to MK it becomes more evident to me that all the water areas surrounding the center of the park are completely useless and just take up space. This is one thing I'll never understand: why Magic Kingdom pales in comparison to Disneyland to the degree that it does (for me DL is a 10 and MK is a 6... I'm hoping the New Fantasyland brings that number up). The way the park is planned/laid out is somewhat inconvenient, and those waterways in particular just seem totally unnecessary.

I'm a NorCal guy and grew up going to Disneyland every year. In my early teens we started going to WDW as well, but it wasn't until the last three years that I really paid attention to this stuff. I don't know why, especially since MK was built after Disneyland, they couldn't have made a better layout. You would think that the second version of something would be the same if not better than the original. I consider myself a geek for all things Disney and very knowledgable about all the parks...is there something I don't know about the original planning of Magic Kingdom? Any info would be most appreciated! Thank you

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Magic Kingdom waterways...

When the Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 there was a Swan Boat ride that took you around the hub at Mainstreet and then into adventureland and back. This has been discontinued however the docks still exist for this long closed attraction.

Swan Boats (Magic Kingdom) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Name:  swan+boats.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  137.4 KB

Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Since Disneyland is easily crowded at the hub, especially when there's a parade or people lined up in front of the castle to watch fireworks, it's helpful to have the lands set back.

This is why there's a giant island in the middle of the park instead of a simple hub.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    When the Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 there was a Swan Boat ride that took you around the hub at Mainstreet and then into adventureland and back. This has been discontinued however the docks still exist for this long closed attraction.

Right on, thanks King Eric!