Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Bearing with the bears

Re: Trip Report (sorta) - My Return to WDW after 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    You might be on to something. I got trapped in the FastPass line at Test Track and I got off the attraction about 10 minutes before the start of the show. I started wandering towards the back of the park and made it to the Mexico pavilion as the show started. And, yes, I was behind a crowd of people; although I had a pretty good view.
    Yeah the back of the park (near the American Adventure, Italian pavilion or the Japanese pavilion) is really the sweet spot for watching the show, seeing it from there really changed my perspective (no pun intended) on the show, it went from "meh" to spine chilling. I wouldn't call it the best nighttime show Disney has ever made but it's still rather impressive.

Well, what I heard in the queue was Klaus Badelt score music from the Pirates film - I can't say for certain, but I think it was Track #4 "The Black Pearl". They did have one half of the queue (the right side) closed off, if that had anything to do with it.
    What a shame, the queue was really something. At this point I give them 1 year before they remove the skeletons from the dungeons and just replace it with more Jack AAs.

Wow - read the entire opus as well. Having just returned from a 7-night stay at WDW only 3 days ago, it's all very fresh in my mind.
    While I strongly disagree with a few of your points, on the vast majority of them, I'm 100% with you and it's bittersweet to see someone else expressing them so clearly - because that means it's not only me who feels the way I do about WDW.
    I actually find myself getting angry with the fact that it's still so heavily attended. I feel like the bulk of guests are idiots for spending so much money to come to such a trite place. It's like there's no recognition of what sophisticated entertainment is because it's all so dumbed down. And yet, I'll continue to go as well. Apparently that's what they're counting on.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Wow - read the entire opus as well. Having just returned from a 7-night stay at WDW only 3 days ago, it's all very fresh in my mind.
    While I strongly disagree with a few of your points, on the vast majority of them, I'm 100% with you and it's bittersweet to see someone else expressing them so clearly - because that means it's not only me who feels the way I do about WDW.
    I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the ones where we had differing opinions.

I actually find myself getting angry with the fact that it's still so heavily attended.
    That's understandable. Personally, I found myself more disappointed than angry. But that might be because I'm perfectly content with Disneyland and/or that my feelings towards EPCOT (the one park I felt ownership of as a child) is that it's so far gone that it's beyond saving. Makes it easier to make a clean break.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I read the entire report. Great job, and incredibly honest. Two thumbs up for your objective opinions.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

...Personally, I found myself more disappointed than angry. But that might be because I'm perfectly content with Disneyland and/or that my feelings towards EPCOT (the one park I felt ownership of as a child) is that it's so far gone that it's beyond saving. Makes it easier to make a clean break.
    Your trip report was quite, well, I suppose the best word might be "sobering". With WDW we have this immense property that has so much going for it because of it's size and complexity yet is really evolving into nothing more than an "also ran". It's akin to visiting the Washington Monument, St. Louis Arch or Statue of Liberty - you've done it once but why really do it again (let alone year after year). The St. Louis Arch is timeless and something to see in your lifetime but the lack of complimentary experiences makes it something that I wouldn't ever visit again.

I think Disney needs to be cautious of what they're doing. They may turn the entire property into a "rite of passage" experience for the little ones and get $6000 out of an extended family once or twice in a lifetime. But where's the repeatability factor once the little darlings grow up and influence their parents by saying "Princesses are for babies", we're not going back to Disney World.

By falling over themselves for one demographic they are leaving money on the table. Soon, people will be making the choice of Universal or Disney for their on-site and I fear that Disney will find their popularity waning so much that nothing short of a DCA refurb at 2 to 3 of their parks might get them out of the doldrums.

EPCOT Center died about 15 years ago and got replaced with Epcot (the discovery park) and what we have is an area with no real theme or sense of purpose. The place would never get built today or, if it would be, I suspect only World Showcase would materialize. And really, World Showcase restaurants carry the place these days. That is truly the only reason the park has nightly staying power - the food is "passable in a Red Lobster sort of way" and that brings the crowds in. Not one new pavilion in 18 years let alone a cool new attraction. Sighh - so sad.

If they build a 5th park on the cheap to boost attendance that might work, I'm sure we're back to square one though after it opens. Each park gets a new attraction every 8 to 10 years. Meanwhile, Universal will probably buy Sea World Florida and we'll have monorails and people movers criss-crossing I 4 carrying people between the immense complex.

• formerly very helpful

I normally don't read trip reports if there's no photos, but this was really pleasurable to read. I can't say I was happy to hear about the state of things there nowadays (and I hope that my opinions will be different regarding some of it), but I do agree with how much I miss the glory days of EPCOT.

Yes, I liked Symbiosis. It was a great nap.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the ones where we had differing opinions.
    It's just a couple.

The main one is about the Deluxe Resorts being empty/dead. That's only because you were there in the middle of the day during lunch when everyone's at the Parks. They're still bustling. Check out Chef Mickey's at 10am or O'Hana at 7:30pm - it'll remind you of how they were 30 years ago.

I KNOW on that Jalapeno pretzel...right? Talk about the star of the vending carts. Even better when free as a snack credit on the Dining Plan. They're elusive, but we found them in all 4 parks.

I didn't witness any of the NextGen "disaster" at the gates; in fact, using them was the biggest breeze of the entire trip. It was easy to find them thanks to the CMs with big "tickets" signs being held up and then the procedure to enter was flawless. Loved it.

Birthday buttons are just as prevalent in CA as in FL. FL has that huge bulky cart out in front of City Hall from which to distribute them; I'm not sure DL is quite so obnoxious about it.

Under the Sea needs water features? Do you mean inside the ride? Because out front, that's all there IS are endless water features - falls, rivers, streams, ponds...everywhere. Could these have been inactive when you visited perchance?

I'd beg to differ that Animal Kingdom is only worth 1/4 of a day. Maybe for locals you've been there, done that, a simple 2-3 hour visit would be in order, but for standard tourists there's plenty there. It may not all be thrill rides, but attractions, there are plenty.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    It's just a couple.

The main one is about the Deluxe Resorts being empty/dead. That's only because you were there in the middle of the day during lunch when everyone's at the Parks. They're still bustling. Check out Chef Mickey's at 10am or O'Hana at 7:30pm - it'll remind you of how they were 30 years ago.
    That's fair. I was only there in the middle of the day - let's say noon to 4PM.

Under the Sea needs water features? Do you mean inside the ride? Because out front, that's all there IS are endless water features - falls, rivers, streams, ponds...everywhere. Could these have been inactive when you visited perchance?
    They must have been inactive because I didn't see anything.

I don't remember seeing anything that's blue on this concept art that was actually water while I was in the parks last month.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12