Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: New Maps Coming to WDW on 3/3 - "Song of the South" mentioned, MS Vehicles Remove

Too much empty land shown, it looks half-built.

Re: New Maps Coming to WDW on 3/3 - "Song of the South" mentioned, MS Vehicles Remove

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I think the North-South orientation of the DHS map is horribly confusing, and probably would be problematic for Epcot too if it wasn't so symmetrical. I can see people getting really lost (and really ticked) in DHS because of the awkward map layout.

I liked the isometric view. Though I guess this view gives a better sense of direction and scale, the detail in the old maps was superior. I enjoy looking at the old maps; this one is kind of just there to navigate. I don't know, I just don't like them.
    Agreed. My thoughts exactly. They couldn't just add the app? The paper quality of these maps also seem much much less. they are thin and flimsy! Very flimsy! My guess is that this is an attempt to get the use to scan the app and then use the app map on the their phone. Which is always available via "mydisneyexperience.com" but these maps are reminders of that.

Advantage to the guest.... As the map gets beat up, or lost, they can just use their phone instead of finding a new map.

Advantage to the company... less maps = less expense and maybe down the road, they can eliminate the map all together

• Under that tree again!

I don't know if they do this, but in the future I bet they will.

My Disney Experience App, will have all the map information and more. I hope it will work with a compass feature and adust the maps to align them to the way you are facing.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Yeah the good thing for the my magic experience app if you select yes to using thier location based services for good point to point navigation, the company can also use that info built into the app to see what you are doing most often, forget the RFID magic bands hello step by step gps tagging/tracking...

(just saying it before someone else brings it up)
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

At first glance I love the maps. Love the softer colors. They don't appear to be exactly to scale but close enough to show lots of empty space, which are just maintenance buildings and parking lots. If you look at satellite pictures and see what's actually behind buildings you will appreciate how this tries to keep the magic by just showing trees. I have always turned my map to match my orientation anyway, doesn't matter which side is north.

Love the alignment with the apps, they will be the future of any theme park experience. I am very tech centric so these changes are welcome. I am also old enough to remember going to various theme parks when I was a kid, getting two park maps (and having to pay for them!), keeping one for a souvenir. I don't see kids today having that excitement of pulling out the old map and reminiscing of past vacations. They just pull up a satellite image or the online park map.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    And it's about time they got rid of the main street vehicles.. I'd prefer they were there, but the truth is with MiSiCi, the Trolley Show, and Day Parade taking up all the daylight hours along Main Street, there was just hardly any time for the vehicles anyways.
    When I was at MK 2 weeks ago, the fire engine was out, but the CM driving wasn't giving any rides that I'm aware of. But while parked by the castle, the Fire Chief was posing for photos and handing out Main Street FD stickers to kids.

As someone who used to work in WDW and lived there for a year, I hate the new maps. Who cares where north is when you are in a theme park. I want the map to match what it looks like when I walk in, because I don't have the liberty of looking down from the sky. Also, what is up with showing all the green space, lets let everyone know just how much space is wasted at WDW when they could be developing it. If I am going to a park I want to see what attractions are there, not all the green space I can't touch, make the attractions bigger so I can actually see them. And I'm sorry to say but all the writing on the front of map is a waste, people on vacation don't read the front of the map (what time is the 3 o'clock parade? was my favorite question), just stick to the pretty picture adds. The only thing I do like is the split up of the water parks (at least that how it appears). People used to ask where the rides of typhoon lagoon are when they were at blizzard beach, not a good money saver. These maps lack the theme park magic in my opinion and look more like a map of some gardens.
    Oh... I just love happy endings.

I'm kind of upset they are pushing the phone app. It's nice to have as a backup, for sure, but the point of going on vacation is to get AWAY from using your phone/computer/etc. Now it just seems they want everyone to be PLUGGED IN when they should be taking in their *magical* surroundings. Just like kids get sucked into playing video games and watching TV at home. Such a shame.

And now it seems it's more like a "letter" with all the text now...not really a map, and I'll really be pissed if the paper map goes the way of the dino. They better start handing out Ipads if they think everyone can afford a smart phone...not everyone can. Maybe they saved the money they could have used for that smartphone for their trip to Disney? So let's hope they never get rid of the paper map.

Another thing, I used to work at WDW and once you know the parks...fine...but then to orient everything north when it doesn't quite work with one of the parks (DHS) is going to create a HR nightmare. Hopefully they will eventually fix that little glitch.

What they really should do is create a REUSABLE map (laminated perhaps) so then park goers can turn their maps in at the end of the day (and if they want to keep one have it available to purchase or include it with the price of the adult ticket or something). Then Disney won't have to keep making more maps and they won't be filling up the landfills with maps that "got wet" and thrown after the common Florida rain storm...win win, IMO. If they ever do this I'll know someone read my post, haha.

• New Member Goes Forth

Sounds good, I look forward to see it
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12