Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

New Maps Coming to WDW on 3/3 - "Song of the South" mentioned, MS Vehicles Removed

Over at TouringPlans, there's some uploads of the new WDW park maps coming this Sunday (3/3): http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/02...ing-march-3rd/

Overall, I really like them. Here's some of my thoughts:

Themed Typefaces - When Disney introduced the current maps in the late 90s, the parks lost their identity in the maps. At least with some themed typefaces, it feels more like each park has their own identity.

They feel like an App - Disney did a wonderful job at blending the style of MyDisneyExperience app with the printed map. This type of consistency is something that's been lacking at WDW for a while.

Top Down View - Big fan of the top-down view, as it's what the classic maps used, and what today's Google Maps users are used to for navigation. The old isometric views were starting to feel a little dated. Glad they kept a North-up cartography on all maps, even DHS (which now looks really weird).

However, there are a few things I don't like:

The icons are really cluttered - There are TOO MANY ICONS. A legend shouldn't take up that much of the map. Would have been nice to combine items.

Mismatched typefaces from the signs in the park - Would have been nice to see them line them up on what's on signs in the park. Oddly enough, the Animal Kingdom land names on the map use the same typeface that's on Epcot's new signage. Same for "Tomorrowland" in Magic Kingdom, it's the Epcot sign typeface.

That odd circled phrase (like "Fantasy Reigns") - It looks like cheap Microsoft Word WordArt.

Sparkles - There's too much pixie dust in the design, it's a little distracting.

Non-North aligned parks look weird - While the Epcot map looks good, the Hollywood Studios map looks really bad, with it's strange layout. The park would have looked better with an Eastern-Up arrangement. At the same time, I'm glad they didn't do this for consistency's sake. Shows how bad DHS's layout really is.

There's also some content oddities:

Main Street Vehicles are gone! - Not listed as an attraction. Sign of things to come? Or just lowering expectations?

"Song of the South" is called out on the Magic Kingdom map for Splash Mountain - Might this be a change in this film's company opinion?

'Sum of all Thrills' is called out as an Attraction - But other aspects of Innoventions aren't.

De-emphasis of pavilions at Epcot - 'Universe of Energy' and 'The Seas with Nemo and Friends' are not written on the map. "The Land" and "Imagination!" do remain.

No sections at DTD - While the docks are listed with their name, the "West Side"/"Pleasure Island"/"Marketplace" dividers are gone.

DTD 'Leaving the area' references getting to Theme Parks - Wait, didn't they want to discourage this?

Overall, a better layout and something that was needed to be done. I think they feel really modern and really tie the whole experience together! Now they just need to update the ugly purple/black/yellow street signage to match (and conform to NHTSA standards).
    -Monorail Man

• Team Hail HYDRA

Re: New Maps Coming to WDW on 3/3 - "Song of the South" mentioned, MS Vehicles Remove

These are interesting maps. I wounder if DLR will get them soon????.......

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Minion

Re: New Maps Coming to WDW on 3/3 - "Song of the South" mentioned, MS Vehicles Remove

Main Street Vehicles are gone! - Not listed as an attraction. Sign of things to come? Or just lowering expectations?
    My guess it probably the latter. When people see an attraction listed, they expect to be able to ride it.

• Hukuna Matata!

Nailed it.

• Minion

I think the North-South orientation of the DHS map is horribly confusing, and probably would be problematic for Epcot too if it wasn't so symmetrical. I can see people getting really lost (and really ticked) in DHS because of the awkward map layout.

I liked the isometric view. Though I guess this view gives a better sense of direction and scale, the detail in the old maps was superior. I enjoy looking at the old maps; this one is kind of just there to navigate. I don't know, I just don't like them.

• Under that tree again!

This should be great for FP waits, bad for stand by waits.They removed the FP education.

More space to sell PhotoPass. Space for My Disney Expereince that let's you make dining reservations.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Bearing with the bears

Some of the changes just strike me as odd. Still it's nice to see an update and good god they really hammer in the PR BS. I just hope the printing isn't too cheap now that Kodak is out of the picture.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The printing on the new maps is clear, but the paper quality is very light. Lighter than the current maps, or perhaps they just have a different coating. Either way, they feel like they will fall apart if they get a drop of water on them.

As to the maps themselves...

I hate the idea of the maps all facing North. They tried this with DCA and it failed miserably. The parks are not designed to be viewed this way on a map. They found that the best design of a map has the park entrance at or near the bottom. Plus, the details are far too small. At least with the app you can zoom in on details. You can't zoom in on a printed map. And these maps make the details look TINY. Like, impossible to see. Bottom line: park guests use actual weenies in the park to orient themselves, then look on the map to find that same weenie. With these new maps, you can only see the largest weenies. The mid-sized ones that used to be very apparent on the old maps are now too small to see, or gone completely. I know these maps assume that if a guest needs to orient themselves, they can download the app. You know, on Disney's slower than molasses wifi or your overcrowded cellular data network in the parks. (To be fair, Disney has acknowledged their wifi problems and they plan to fix them, I heard they did all the resorts last week, though it still kept kicking me off the network when I was there a few days ago.)

MonorailMan pointed out my other problem with the maps. Holy icons batman! It's far too cluttered. Eh.

So no, I am not a fan.
    -Bill

• Inappropriate

What I like: They look great! Yeah there are a lot of icons, but the old maps had them too. I really like the way the actual parks look on the map. It seems clean. And I'm not sure if the old maps had the directions on how to get to other places, but I like it.

What I don't like: Regardless of how well the park maps look, that's all moot if they hurt my head when I read them! The North orientation only works for Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. The entrance of the park should be at the bottom. Epcot was easy to figure out, but holy crap, I had to stare at the Hollywood Studios one for a second to even realize what was going on. Why would they have the most confusing map for the park whose layout makes the least amount of sense? First-timers are going to lose their minds in Hollywood Studios. At least with Epcot you always have Spaceship Earth as a reference point. Ugh. Just, ugh.

Things I am indifferent about: The lack of fastpass knowledge on the map. Seeing as how it seemed no one ever read it anyway (judging by all the people I've stood behind at Fastpass machines that have zero idea what they're doing) it probably won't make a huge difference leaving that off.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Minion

These so-called maps are 1/3 map and 2/3 text...and only on one side. That reason alone is the only one I need to know these maps are bad.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    These so-called maps are 1/3 map and 2/3 text...and only on one side. That reason alone is the only one I need to know these maps are bad.
    +1 other than that I like the other changes they've made...but DHS is horribly confusing as others have been saying as well
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    +1 other than that I like the other changes they've made...but DHS is horribly confusing as others have been saying as well

I don't need no frickin map. Only showtimes.
    #wdwcp #summer2000 #mk

• Minion

The lack of FP information on the new maps may add a bit more weight to the rumor that regular FP will go away once FP+ is fully rolled out.

Plus, the details are far too small. At least with the app you can zoom in on details. You can't zoom in on a printed map.
    I think they're probably expecting more people to use the app than the map.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    The lack of FP information on the new maps may add a bit more weight to the rumor that regular FP will go away once FP+ is fully rolled out.

I think they're probably expecting more people to use the app than the map.
    I think you may be right on regular FP...and if they think everyone will be or even 3/4 of the people will be on their WiFi, I can only imagine how horribly their bandwidth is going to slow down to a CRAWL!!!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Shubisha

They've referred to Splash Mountain as being "inspired by the characters from Song of the South" plenty before so don't look too much into that :P

And it's about time they got rid of the main street vehicles.. I'd prefer they were there, but the truth is with MiSiCi, the Trolley Show, and Day Parade taking up all the daylight hours along Main Street, there was just hardly any time for the vehicles anyways. But they'd rather have a dozen shows plus Dream Along going on so they can "fully utilize" the performers than keep the atmosphere up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast