"Lame"ited Time Magic - streeeetchhhiiiinnnnngggggg for ideas! -

Limited Time Magic | Disney Parks

Can someone please explain to me how voting on garish artwork for some limited edition merchandise that will debut in 2014 constitutes as an "experience" - and one that can be classified as Limited Time Magic? What's even more astounding is that the announcement of the concept with the most votes is considered as a separate Limited Time Magic event as well.

If you look at the URL for the page, the reference text includes the words "let the memories begin" - is this something I'm going to remember on my death bed, voting on some merchandise that I'd never even consider buying in 2014.

Honestly, who is running the Disney marketing department these days? Have you no pride? Is this the best you can come up with to entice people to come to the parks?

Everybody wonders why Disney/WDW management is being clubbed like baby seals in this forum; and it's because of stupid things like this. My god, even Six Flags wouldn't market something so lame as this as an event.

I also have to laugh that they seem to be testing a Disney cosmetics line and indicating that this too is for Limited Time Magic. On this point I agree, if it's overpriced (and I'm certain it will be) and sells poorly then it will certainly be a very limited merchandise offering. If the fans buy it in droves, however, it will be one of those "popular' Limited Time Magic experiences that was just too good to be for a limited time so now it's a year round product offering - give me a break.

What is wrong with Disney these days? If Walt had this kind of originality there would have been no Disney Company - nobody would care about it. I swear, a visit to Disney World these days is about as special as a stay at Marriott Courtyard!

Re: "Lame"ited Time Magic - streeeetchhhiiiinnnnngggggg for ideas! -

I don't enjoy Gadget's Go Coaster and I solve that problem by not participating in it.
    Disney offers new merchandise and new activities for people to participate in if they want. Allow the people who like doing it, do it. Just because you hate it doesn't mean that everyone else does.

In business, they offer a service or a product and if you want that service or product, you pay for it. If you don't want the service or product, don't pay for it. It's your free will. They are offering you an activity or a product for a small amount of time. You are not obliged to take the deal.

Walt had a team of marketers and he certainly did market the crap out of his parks and properties as well. We just see the side of Walt we want to see. Not saying Walt was bad, but there was a business side of him as well.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Marching along

Sad Re: "Lame"ited Time Magic - streeeetchhhiiiinnnnngggggg for ideas! -

Limited Time Magic (tm).

"Because giving guests Magic all the time would cost us too damn much."

-- Walt Disney World, 2013

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneytom View Post
    What is wrong with Disney these days?
    Answer: the people who the managers are hiring, the managers who the top executives are promoting, and the top executives who everyone else in the company are emulating.

The corporate mindset that enables these lame ideas is company-wide. This is just what gets out in the open, the "tip of the iceberg" of the thinking that goes on inside.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-05-2013 at 07:00 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I don't enjoy Gadget's Go Coaster and I solve that problem by not participating in it.
    Disney offers new merchandise and new activities for people to participate in if they want. Allow the people who like doing it, do it. Just because you hate it doesn't mean that everyone else does.

In business, they offer a service or a product and if you want that service or product, you pay for it. If you don't want the service or product, don't pay for it. It's your free will. They are offering you an activity or a product for a small amount of time. You are not obliged to take the deal.

Walt had a team of marketers and he certainly did market the crap out of his parks and properties as well. We just see the side of Walt we want to see. Not saying Walt was bad, but there was a business side of him as well.

I think you're kind of missing the point twins. Eventually, they may close an attraction that you love. They then might bring it back for "limited time magic" - how would you feel about that. The attraction might be closed because of the fact that it takes a large number of cast members to operate - say Grand Prix Raceway or Jungle Cruise. Then, they market that it is "magically back" for a limited time. Wouldn't you feel cheated that they don't offer the attraction all the time like you remembered.

Anyway, if I choose to buy or not buy merchandise that is a decision I will make regardless of Disney's marketing efforts. But to try to pass off a merchandising release or a voting opportunity as "Magic" is a stretch - to this I say "where's the beef?" - oh yes, it's in Tokyo and up the road at Universal where attractions are attractions - they are the norm, not the exception which seems to be the case at WDW today.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by disneytom View Post
    I think you're kind of missing the point twins. Eventually, they may close an attraction that you love. They then might bring it back for "limited time magic" - how would you feel about that. The attraction might be closed because of the fact that it takes a large number of cast members to operate - say Grand Prix Raceway or Jungle Cruise. Then, they market that it is "magically back" for a limited time. Wouldn't you feel cheated that they don't offer the attraction all the time like you remembered.

Anyway, if I choose to buy or not buy merchandise that is a decision I will make regardless of Disney's marketing efforts. But to try to pass off a merchandising release or a voting opportunity as "Magic" is a stretch - to this I say "where's the beef?" - oh yes, it's in Tokyo and up the road at Universal where attractions are attractions - they are the norm, not the exception which seems to be the case at WDW today.
    This is EXACTLY how I feel about Limited Time Magic. "All the stuff we used to offer, but has since been cut"
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I've been there for limited time magic and so far it is a let down. I wanted to be part of the Long Lost Friends week and the highly rumored Villains week in the future but I got the Dapper Dans week.

Limited Time Magic is for everyone across the board. There are going to be some weeks that would be perfect for me and many others that don't match what I personally like. I'm heading back to WDW again sometime in the later part of this year so I have another shot at the campaign. Hopefully like wine, this campaign can only get bigger and better learning from its own mistakes.

What I fear is the campaing getting to a stage of repeating weeks. Dapper Dan boy band returns for another week in May because "you" asked for it. Not even I believe that one. But I suspect this kind of antics will happen with this campaign. I would love to believe that Disney have planned out every week until December 31st but it comes off like they are winging it month to month.

I'm still hoping for a week of Cruella popping up anywhere and everywhere all over both theme park coasts looking for those "DARN PUPPIES!" To see Cruella pop out of a window in Main Street while horace and jasper are close by asking people and looking down below. Cruella screaming for those puppies and asking people have they seen them. Her audio can even take over the speakers during a day time parade or hell even take over a float looking for them. A great idea I doubt Disney can pull off.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Metro-Retro Historian

They should do Retro Ticket Week where your one day ticket looks like and costs as much as it did when one day tickets (as opposed to ticket books) were introduced in 1981. $13.25.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 03-10-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• New Member Goes Forth

Looks like they are runing out of ideas...
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Looks like they are runing out of ideas...
    Then they need to stop trying to recreate Year of a Million Dreams and focus on promoting what the parks have. That means cleaning the parks up and making them sparkle.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney