Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Is it worth it to fly for an interview with Disney World

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong category but I just wanted some replies from people who currently work/were interviewed for a position at Disney (World specifically). I passed the web based interview and now have to choose a date for an in person interview in Orlando. Only problem is, I currently live in NJ. The position is for a vacation planner (I guess ticket booth mostly?) and so I was wondering if it would be worth it to fly to Orlando with no guarantee of getting the job (which pays almost half of what I do now, which is being a visitor services host). I love Disney and I always wanted to work there. So overall my question(s) is :What is the success rate of getting a job after the interview and while I'm not expecting anything right away, how easy is it to move up in the company? Any replies would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

• Under that tree again!

Re: Is it worth it to fly for an interview with Disney World

Are you sure it's for ticket booths? Planners are usually reservation takers.

It may not be an easy position to move up from. In park and some resort jobs are easy to move up in from part time to full time to lead, because many CMs don't stick around for more than a season or year.

You may try to find super cheap tickets, because the cost to pay for the job search may be hard to pay off.

Do consider that while you go there to work for Disney, it's likely in a year you will work somewhere else.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Maybe not ticket booth but I was just going off a video that I saw on youtube. It was the only video I saw about a 'vacation planner' position. I did list on my application though that things like attraction and food service would be my 2nd/3rd choices so maybe if I got those I could perhaps move up. And I don't mind if its a year. Like I said, I wasn't expecting anything quick. Right now I'm just wondering about the interview. Thanks for the reply btw.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

It is probably for DRC (Disney Reservation Center)

That is exactly what my mother did. She flew down, interviewed, got the job, then moved in with me until she and my dad were able to relocate down here fully.

It was a neat experience. My mom still is at the DRC and loves it.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    It is probably for DRC (Disney Reservation Center)

That is exactly what my mother did. She flew down, interviewed, got the job, then moved in with me until she and my dad were able to relocate down here fully.

It was a neat experience. My mom still is at the DRC and loves it.
    Sounds encouraging. Thanks for the reply!

I say Go For It!

I have a cousin that grew up LOVING Disney and Mickey. She dreamed of living and working there. Well, guess what? Not only does she work there, but both of her sons work there, too. She moved between working various shops, one time working at World of Disney, but has since moved up and works at the Polynesian. One of her sons works Concierge at the Polynesian. And another one of her sons...well, not to disspell the magic, but he likes to hang out with Winnie the Pooh and is bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy, fun fun fun fun fun! And they've each recently reached different milestons to celebrate how many years they've been with Disney, 10, 5, and 5.

You may have to suck up the cost of the flight, but are you going to let that stop you?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Do it! You're young and it's an adventure. Don't have any regrets of would've could've should've. Good luck!

Got the tickets, set the date. Now just gotta hope for the best

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Karisha86 View Post
    Best of luck!
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

My recommendations for the interview:

1. Dress professionally
    2. Make a lot of eye contact
    3. Speak with confidence
    4. Talk about how much you love the product and want to share it with others
    5. Speak about how you like to surprise and delight people
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Sounds encouraging. Thanks for the reply!
    Just an FYI, DRC average pay for starters is $8.65 and hr.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

I worked at the Transportation & Ticketing Center for many months so I can help you with this. Vacation Planner is the "Disney term" for ticket booth sales, much like how Cast Members who work the turnstyles are "Park Greeters".

As for the interview, is it required to be an in person interview? They might be able to do a phone interview or even a video interview on Skype, etc.? They may be flexible. Have you tried talking to Casting? As for the interview, usually they are just a formality to make sure you aren't crazy. With Vacation Planning there is a lot of sales and cash handling (it is one of the few areas I have seen at Disney where they have goals to try and upsell) so they might be looking for someone with these backgrounds. Like I said though usually they are a formality.

In regards to advancement, I assume you're applying for Full-Time? You can request a transfer every 6 months in case Vacation Planning isn't the area you truly want to be in. It is VERY easy to get a transfer, it's just putting your name on a list and they call you when there's an opening.

Typical advancement in your area is advancing to a trainer, then a relief coordinator, then a statused coordinator, maybe eventually a Guest Service Manager (GSM is REALLY competitive). The time it takes to get through this rank is dependent on the needs of the area as well as the turn over of their Cast Members. I have seen people go straight to being a relief coordinator, and people who got interviews for management positions without even being a trainer, it just really depends.

Being in Disney though there are always opportunities to grow and advance, you just have to keep your managers aware of your goals (Networking is KEY) and also actively be looking for advancements, they rarely just fall at your feet. However going from being a front of the line Cast Member to a much higher role can take a while though as it's very competitive. Just some things to think about.

I had always understood that if someone wanted to interview me, they would make the necessary arrangements for me to get there and back.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    I had always understood that if someone wanted to interview me, they would make the necessary arrangements for me to get there and back.
    Depends on the job, higher level jobs probably yes. But entry level positions? I wouldnt think so.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

Thanks for the info! But yes I did call to confirm and they did tell me that an in person interview was required. They couldn't do phone/skype unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast