Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    It just blows my mind how people go sooooo over board when something new comes along. If you don't like the "mymagic+" option then don't use it. I couldn't care less about the "fastpass" option and while I think I have only used it once it has never caused me a problem with any of my visits over the years since it has been in use. Why would mymagic?

Some people complain about the horror of waiting in line because others have trouble with their card and finger print. To me how ever, I've never really run into much of an issue with it, but maybe the bracelets will solve that issue for those who have trouble waiting that extra minute or two.

Instead of running to a place to get the fastpass before they run out (never bothered to do this btw) you could add it to your mymagic before you even go to the park. Why would that be so much of an issue?

I just don't see where this is such a problem, it's just another option to tailor your vacation to the way you want it.
    it's a bit more then that.

See they have spent 2 billion dollars developing this system. A system that is supposed to manage the crowds better.

But with 2 billion they could have added more rides or even a new park. New rides and a new park is what will really help manage the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    Out of the close to a dozen times I've gone to WDW for vacation I've never had a day left over to sell/donate. I buy what I plan on using and I use what I buy.

Anything else is foolish. Disney cut out "scalpers" how horrible!
    actually the smarter thing would be to buy 10 day passes with no expiration dates as you would be saving money in the long run.

• New Member Goes Forth

We will have to see what it is like, but from the outset, i d not think it will be much. Again, all of the money invested into this could be put into new attractiosn, that would compete with Universal. Sadly, they do not.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Sock Puppet

My guess is that MadDogJoe is Robb Alvey from Theme Park Review, or one of his cronies. He has clamped down on their Disney threads HARD, and talks just like this on that board, and derides the non-believers. Only those that love everything Disney does can post. I'm sure this move has nothing to do with them now being on Disney World's media list.

There are many people very afraid of Fastpass Plus, and I think I'm one of them.

And the "don't use it" arguement is so ridiculous. Especially with this system, where it seems if you don't use it, you shouldn't be buying a ticket.

Fredly

Quote Originally Posted by Fredly View Post
    My guess is that MadDogJoe is Robb Alvey from Theme Park Review, or one of his cronies. He has clamped down on their Disney threads HARD, and talks just like this on that board, and derides the non-believers. Only those that love everything Disney does can post. I'm sure this move has nothing to do with them now being on Disney World's media list.

There are many people very afraid of Fastpass Plus, and I think I'm one of them.

And the "don't use it" arguement is so ridiculous. Especially with this system, where it seems if you don't use it, you shouldn't be buying a ticket.

Fredly
    I'm just a long time Disney fan that thinks along logical lines. There are many things in this world that people are afraid of, but used with some common sense are relatively safe. People were afraid of cars when they first came out and said they would never last. People didn't like paper money, nor credit cards when they first were introduced. Of course paying your bills on-line is never going to work either.

All these things not only work, but are everyday items that most people couldn't live with out. The MyMagic+ is just the next step in vacationing. Will this be how it's going to be? not likely! I'm sure it will change and evolve as time goes by and yes we will hear all the people cry out that these changes too are bad.

I enjoy driving my car to the airport, buying my bottle of water with paper money after I get through TSA screening. I enjoy flying to Florida on a plane that I bought my ticket with a credit card, that I used my phone to transfer funds on-line to pay for. I don't think I'll have a problem using MyMagic+.

And some people are like you - who won't have any issues.

And then there's the rest of us.

You say "used with some common sense" but that's exactly one of the things that makes me nervous: I don't expect much common sense from a marketing department. Ever. They'll want to inflict this on everybody, and will abuse the data as much as they are allowed and then some.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Certified in everything

I just booked a WDW vacation and I'm having a hard enough time trying to book dining in advance because its hard enough figuring out where I want to eat in several months. On the one hand, the idea of also having to do this for attractions stresses me out.

HOWEVER, on the other hand, I know I'll want to ride Test Track when I'm in Epcot, Tower of Terror in DHS etc., so it may actually end up being an easier process to use. I certainly don't want to plan even close to EVERY attraction I'll ride when I'm there, but the idea of securing a few (2 or 3) intrigues me...

I'm willing to give it a chance.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

One thing MyMagic+ cannot plan 6 months in advance is what the weather will do on a certain day.Has no one at Disney thought about how wet days affect where people go and what they want to do?Thats the sort of thing taking spontaneity away will affect. If it's blasting away with rain in my 30 minute Big Thunder slot then what ?" Here have a replacement fast-pass sir" "Oh but I'm on a pre-planned 6 months ago schedule and this change in the plan is going to mess everything else up"

Quote Originally Posted by blondiemouse72 View Post
    One thing MyMagic+ cannot plan 6 months in advance is what the weather will do on a certain day.Has no one at Disney thought about how wet days affect where people go and what they want to do?Thats the sort of thing taking spontaneity away will affect. If it's blasting away with rain in my 30 minute Big Thunder slot then what ?" Here have a replacement fast-pass sir" "Oh but I'm on a pre-planned 6 months ago schedule and this change in the plan is going to mess everything else up"
    Then I guess you wait in line like the other people who either didn't use the MyMagic+ options, or don't update it a few days before the visit when you have a better idea of the weather.

Some of you make it sound like what you put into the MyMagic is written in stone. It isn't. Sure the restaurant reservations may be hard to change but they are now! With your phone/IPAD/tablet you have access to it and can tweak it as you go along.

• New Member Goes Forth

money should be invested in attractions
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Closed Account

Well considering Tom Staggs practically admitted WDW is out of the attractions buisness I hardly think they care about rides anymore. They know they cannot compete.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Well considering Tom Staggs practically admitted WDW is out of the attractions buisness I hardly think they care about rides anymore. They know they cannot compete.
    ???? I missed that. When did he say that? He insists Avatar is go. He is rumored to be forcing DHS to do Carlands with out value enginneering it (aka being force to do it as well as it is done in DCA) and he forced a redo for new fantasyland to include a coaster instead of princess theme meet and greets.

• Closed Account

During the New Fantasyland presser, he said "We are not in the attractions business, we're in the "guest experience" business".....News to me after 57yrs...

ohhhhh! I think he meant it as a complement to what Disney does. Disney's does not build just an attraction, it has to be an experience. Clearly he did not mean wdw will not be building more attractions, as he is still to this day touting Avatar and New Fantasyland and other unannounce projects (cough*Carsland*cough) I actually think Tom has WDW on his radar. I think he understands that it has falling behind. I think Bob would very much like to pull back on theme park capital expenditure but Tom, at least to me, seems to suddenly be focus on the very real capital expenditure needs of WDW.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by kermitdefrog View Post
    . . . why Disney's new MyMagic+ system is a bad idea. First of all, MyMagic+ requires you to make "reservations" per se for parade seats and attractions. OK, I understand how a similar system had to put in place for table-service restaurants as crowd control, but it's highly unnecessary for attractions, which are supposed to be accessible by any guest at any time during park hours. If MyMagic+ goes into full effect, guests will essentially have to make reservations for every single thing they do while on vacation. [Overstatement.] This brings up another major point: the purpose of a vacation is to relax and have fun, not to worry that you won't be able to ride your favorite attraction because you missed your reservation time. This is yet another example of Team Disney Orlando's increasing incompetence. Paired with overpriced merchandise, decreasing hotel room quality, and the lack of any major new theme park attraction in the last seven years, it's no wonder why [an increasing number of] people are now going to Universal. . .
    Strong post, Kermit! I'm reminded of the L.A. Unified School District paying a company 50 million for a payroll program that messed up teachers' paychecks for months. Of course there could not be major flaws at WDW because Thomas (not Tom) Staggs is paying ten times as much to Disney Parks' outside computer experts. And this will not go away. . .forever like some limited time magic.

The late Bernie Brillstein's theorized that Michael Eisner deliberately had Michael Ovitz fail as Disney's Prez. and as his potential successor so Ovitz would no longer be center of Hollywood. With that in mind, now I'm wondering if MyMagic+ will be the equivalent of five big box office flops rolled into one. After MyMagic+ underwhelms, Thomas Staggs will be viewed as inadequate just before he is to replace Staggs as CEO in 2015, and then (Leno-like?) CEO AND Chairman of the Board Bob Iger will be willing to stay on for an additional 2-5 years "earning" 30 or so million a year until a stronger replacement is found. I think any American business leader in entertainment would like to be CEO of Disney for as long as possible.

I could be wrong, and Iger might be equally to blame for MyMagic+.

And I could be REALLY wrong and MyMagic+ could turn out to be $800,000,000+ well spent. But it does seem like $ was spent on this instead of magnificent WDW attractions, improved WDW transportation, and sprucing up the parks and older resort hotels.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast