Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

$800,000,000+ well spent.
    What was that number for extending the monorails, again, because all of a sudden 50 million a mile doesn't seem unreasonable.

I think mm+ is an interesting social experiment that puts the panters behind the curve of the planners. However, even a planner needs to make plans for when the weather goes south. Let's say that you have reserved a spot for the parade and a thunder storm hits. Now, what? So you go and run over to EPCOT, a mostly indoor theme park, but you don't have any rides reserved. What does that mean? What do wait times look like for unreserved rides?

I think I have more questions than answers. But I'm not ready to write it off as a bad idea. And while I plan, I sometimes have to let mother nature tweak my plans a little bit.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Not sure where you're getting 800,000,000. The budget for NextGen is rapidly approaching the two billion dollar threshold.
    -Bill

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Not sure where you're getting 800,000,000. The budget for NextGen is rapidly approaching the two billion dollar threshold.
    For that kind of money, you could create new and innovative attractions that would actually bring people into the Parks, instead of spending it on a beancounter-driven initiative that turns what's already there (which is getting older and more stale every year) into Spreadsheet City. That's what happens when you give the keys to Walt's Magic Kingdom to ex-Eisner Accountaneers, and no one has the authority to tell them "no."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    For that kind of money, you could create new and innovative attractions that would actually bring people into the Parks,
    For that kind of money, you could create REAL Jurassic-Park Dinosaur Clones.

• Foolish Mortal

Do you guys think it might create a more of "get out of my way, i'm late" attitude amongst visitors as they rush around to their scheduled events/rides/shows?

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    Do you guys think it might create a more of "get out of my way, i'm late" attitude amongst visitors as they rush around to their scheduled events/rides/shows?
    ​It could.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    So, we're basically going to have a park full of White Rabbits scampering around. Lovely.

Yeah, I know. Corny. Sorry. Anyway, I am on the fence about this one. While I feel as though the planning aspect of this implement could possibly be quite beneficial, I am concerned with the security aspect of it. I mean, face characters will know you by name? At this rate, before long, they'll know what color underwear you're wearing.

before long, they'll know what color underwear you're wearing.
    Save this comment. When Hanes starts tagging their products with RFID tags for the supply chain, this is easy-peasy. ( Wal-mart has been pushing for exactly this for years. )

Over/Under in less than 5 years.

"Scanner Log: 2018-03-20 08:35:01 UPC8329...33 Panache/Cleo Style #7086 Size 28E Pink"

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    For that kind of money, you could create new and innovative attractions that would actually bring people into the Parks, instead of spending it on a beancounter-driven initiative that turns what's already there (which is getting older and more stale every year) into Spreadsheet City. That's what happens when you give the keys to Walt's Magic Kingdom to ex-Eisner Accountaneers, and no one has the authority to tell them "no."
    Hate to break the news to you dude, but whenever a new attraction is built, someone always wants to know how much it cost and how much benefit it brought. For that, they go to those evil ex-Eisner Accountaneers in Spreadsheet City. If NextGen's budget went into attractions instead of RFID bands and MyMagic+, they'd be measuring its value exactly how they're measuring MyMagic+'s value and how they've measured the value of new attractions for years. By now, I think they know what they're doing, and it won't be terrible. Just a hunch.

Secondly, how is it that you know for a certain fact that NextGen won't bring anyone into the Parks? I'm delighted that a huge solution for the days of intense summer heat and crowds like this is on the immediate horizon because that gainful employment I need to survive denies me & my family access to the lesser-populated off season weekdays. If it wasn't for this, I wouldn't dream of visiting during the ever-growing busy times because of what a nightmare those times are without something like this. I absolutely won't be alone. Those families depicted in the old "Disneyworld.com/affordable" advertisements will have a similar reaction when they look into the "My Disney Experience" app and what MyMagic+ is all about.

Thirdly, exactly what part of New Fantasyland, new Test Track, new Spaceship Earth, proposed Avatarland @ DAK, new Star Tours, rumors of Cars Land @ DHS, new Disney Springs, etc is getting older and more stale every year? Looks to me like there's new projects either already here or on the horizon at every WDW park. If it's getting more stale to you then perhaps these parks just aren't for you anymore, and it's time to take a break?

Finally, no part of WDW is "Walt's Magic Kingdom". Walt left us years before Magic Kingdom was built and opened, and the entire WDW Resort today exists VERY differently than Walt originally envisioned it. WDW is the crowning glory of the "ex-Eisner Accountaneers" which is why you see projects like NextGen first tested and implemented on WDW's huge scale first, rather than more logically on the smaller Disneyland scale. Make no mistake, WDW is their baby, not Walt's, and they're so proud of it that they put it on a higher pedestal at "One Man's Dream" than anything Walt created in his time.
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 03-24-2013 at 12:03 PM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

I only get to visit the parks about once every 3-4 years, so in the months and weeks leading up to a visit, I'm pre-planning like crazy, trying to figure out the best strategy for visiting on a given day, and for who I'm with. I go through it again and again, because standing in two and half hour lines is not what I think about (nor what I want to do, or anyone wants to do) when it comes to the parks. I build in flexibility to my touring plans, and center them around some key ideas, I don't plan down to the minute, but I'll reserve seats at say World of Color and Fantasmic to cut down on wait times and stress about viewing areas.

So it sounds like MyMagic+ is perfect for someone like me, someone who likes to pre-plan but also likes spontaneity and recognizes it's impossible to plan for everything. FastPass and seat reservations transformed the brutal long waits on rides into a manageable day -- arrive at roap drop, hit major rides early, FastPass the rest, ride the smaller stuff in between. I look forward to using MyMagic+ on my next visit. The ability to FastPass a ride on my smartphone while I'm in line for something else or having lunch sounds like more choices, more freedom, more fun. I'm really looking forward to it. Bring it on, Disney.

EDIT
    I understand people being nervous and anxious about new technologies. Technology is a tool, it depends on how you use it. I'm not worried about being a "white rabbit" because I'm not an idiot and wouldn't try to plan something that tightly-scheduled, and I suspect the system won't let you do that, say, reserving Space Mountain and Splash Mountain within 10 minutes of each other. So I'm unconcerned, and again, look forward to trying it out. Sounds like fun.
    Last edited by BuckyRister; 04-01-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    Thirdly, exactly what part of New Fantasyland, new Test Track, new Spaceship Earth, proposed Avatarland @ DAK, new Star Tours, rumors of Cars Land @ DHS, new Disney Springs, etc is getting older and more stale every year?
    New Fantasyland added one additional ride (that is not even built yet) and a restaurant. New Test Track and New Spaceship Earth are terrible (and essentially wasted money - Old Test Track was terrible too, but I digress ...). Nobody wants Avatarland. Disney Springs is nothing more than a proposal (like Hyperion Wharf before it) and what is proposed is just more outside vendor restaurants (Disney telling people what Disney wants them to want, not building what people actually want - rides, shows). Carsland is another concept that has not advanced pass the proposal stage - if we're giving credit for proposals, we might as well discuss how great Western River Expedition will be.

Star Tours 2.0 is terrific.

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    New Fantasyland added one additional ride (that is not even built yet) and a restaurant. New Test Track and New Spaceship Earth are terrible (and essentially wasted money - Old Test Track was terrible too, but I digress ...). Nobody wants Avatarland. Disney Springs is nothing more than a proposal (like Hyperion Wharf before it) and what is proposed is just more outside vendor restaurants (Disney telling people what Disney wants them to want, not building what people actually want - rides, shows). Carsland is another concept that has not advanced pass the proposal stage - if we're giving credit for proposals, we might as well discuss how great Western River Expedition will be.

Star Tours 2.0 is terrific.
    You're leaving out a ton from both New Fantasyland and New Test Track. Just because your opinion of them and the proposed projects yet to be started is less than positive doesn't mean you can pretend they don't exist, and then complain about nothing new ever being built.

I'll give credit for proposals, sure. Every project starts somewhere. It's not like everything's a proposal and nothing ever gets built. Besides, once MyMagic+ is done, there'll be a lot more vertical construction work that stems from all these proposals going on right now.

Take it from someone who just went through DCA's overhaul from behind a camera the entire time. There is such a thing as too much construction at one point.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

I feel the problem with MyMagic+ is that there are many, MANY unanswered questions and concerns right now about how it will affect the traditional park-going experience. Some of which may never be answered. Coupled this with the fact that Disney has dumped $2 billion into a largely untested technology, it's making many people uneasy about NextGen, including me.

Two issues -- there must be a set amount of Fastpasses that can be reserved and a set amount to get at the parks. For instance, if there is a newer attraction, it could be possible that Fastpasses ae all sold out.
    second issue -- they should spend their billion renovating the problems with the parks instead of adding on to something that already works fine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast