Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Armchair Imagineer

Post Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

Hello, citizens of MiceChat. You my remember me as the author of the Gemini Series, a series of armchair Imagineeering threads that received much criticism. I have returned after nearly two years of absence to tell you about why Disney's new MyMagic+ system is a bad idea. First of all, MyMagic+ requires you to make "reservations" per se for parade seats and attractions. OK, I understand how a similar system had to put in place for table-service restaurants as crowd control, but it's highly unnecessary for attractions, which are supposed to be accessible by any guest at any time during park hours. If MyMagic+ goes into full effect, guests will essentially have to make reservations for every single thing they do while on vacation. This brings up another major point: the purpose of a vacation is to relax and have fun, not to worry that you won't be able to ride your favorite attraction because you missed your reservation time. This is yet another example of Team Disney Orlando's increasing incompetence. Paired with overpriced merchandise, decreasing hotel room quality, and the lack of any major new theme park attraction in the last seven years, it's no wonder why people are now going to Universal instead of Disney.
    A year that holds the challenge of truly bringing Earth into the 21st Century.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

you won't get much criticism here for saying MM+ is a bad idea! lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

It just blows my mind how people go sooooo over board when something new comes along. If you don't like the "mymagic+" option then don't use it. I couldn't care less about the "fastpass" option and while I think I have only used it once it has never caused me a problem with any of my visits over the years since it has been in use. Why would mymagic?

Some people complain about the horror of waiting in line because others have trouble with their card and finger print. To me how ever, I've never really run into much of an issue with it, but maybe the bracelets will solve that issue for those who have trouble waiting that extra minute or two.

Instead of running to a place to get the fastpass before they run out (never bothered to do this btw) you could add it to your mymagic before you even go to the park. Why would that be so much of an issue?

I just don't see where this is such a problem, it's just another option to tailor your vacation to the way you want it.

• Circle of Ancients

How about we wait until it's implemented to decide if it's a good or bad thing?

Personally I'm very intrigued by it. It's certainly something that will most likely work better in WDW than Disneyland due to the different clientele (tourists vs locals) but why don't we "wait and see" for a change?

• Filmmaker

I'm less concerned about the logisitcs of MyMagic+ effecting people who choose not to use it than I am about potential security issues. To be frank your concerns that guests will have to make reservations for every single thing they want to do come across as somewhat melodramatic. It'll be an option to guarantee a few highlight attractions for the people who choose to use it and I doubt it will much effect everyone else.

My bigger concern here is that strapping guests with RFID bands that identify their personal information, allow access to their finances, and unlock their hotel rooms is an idea that's just begging for something to go wrong. Let me put it this way, I won't be an early adopter for MyMagic+ because I don't want to have to be the poor soul whose vacation gets ruined as a result of QA testing this new technology.

• Minion

the issue i think some people may have with the system is it creates a more level playing field for all guests. many of us here all have our own particular system of where to go when the park opens, what to fast pass, and just using our advantage through the passion of the topic to get a leg up on the unwashed masses. with the enforcement of fastpass times and now my magic allowing anyone to reserve whatever they want months in advance, it removes not only the spontaneity that a vacation should hold but the thrill of "victory" some get from the experience. again just a theory but its something that affects the major disney fan.

I think there are both positives and negatives of the system.

I think Disney is trying to do something that no one else has done (Thank God for that at least). It just makes me wonder if they have completely thought this through. There are a lot of factors and issues that need to be addressed before doing something like this.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    Some people complain about the horror of waiting in line because others have trouble with their card and finger print.
    It's more like the way Disney destroyed the market for cheap left-over day tickets under the *appearance* of doing something for your benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    It's more like the way Disney destroyed the market for cheap left-over day tickets under the *appearance* of doing something for your benefit.
    Out of the close to a dozen times I've gone to WDW for vacation I've never had a day left over to sell/donate. I buy what I plan on using and I use what I buy.

Anything else is foolish. Disney cut out "scalpers" how horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I think there are both positives and negatives of the system.

I think Disney is trying to do something that no one else has done (Thank God for that at least). It just makes me wonder if they have completely thought this through. There are a lot of factors and issues that need to be addressed before doing something like this.
    Like what? What are your fears here? While I'm sure Disney hasn't thought of everything, I'll bet they thought of most of it and will react very quickly to anything that comes up that they didn't think about.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I have a hard time believing, that just like dining, Disney will not move more and more towards preference for reservations as a means of controlling staffing and operational costs. The interactive queue program also seems to point to Disney's expectation of longer wait times.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, while we don't have all the answers to the questions that may come to mind, these boards are all about the discussions. It's fine to speculate, or to bring up things you might be negatives, or even to express your feelings out loud. What's not OK, is to tell others not to have the questions and opinions that they do. This site does not ask a whole lot of its members, but one thing that we do insist on is that we have as pure an on-topic discussion as possible, and not stray over into making personal asides or attacks.

Thanks for your help, going forward.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• Metro-Retro Historian

The RFID bands have a lot more potential than just booking fastpasses and Mickey knowing your name. The real question is whether it will used.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

I think the approach of having all your tickets, room keys, Fastpasses, and reservations all in one place is a great benefit. The constant planning and pre-planning are going to be a nightmare.

That's just a prediction. We'll see how it goes when it's fully implemented.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Mr Test Track

I think something like this doesn't deserve 1 BILLION dollars put into it because you know it might get some criticism and it isn't even a complete overhaul of a park, it's a little band that controls every move you make on a vacation.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast