Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If You Could Get Rid Of One Ride....

wsiirola's thread inspired this one, asking a question on the opposite end of the spectrum. If it's been done before, then I apologize.

Where wsiirola asked what ride/attraction you would bring back, I would like to ask what current ride or attraction would you like to see be removed? Needless to say, everyone has their favorites whether they be common ones like Space Mountain or Journey Into Imagination (old version). But there are some that I know some people may not favor too much. I know that one person said on the other thread recently that they would like to see Stitch's Great Escape go in favor of the return of Alien Encounter. What are your thoughts, whch one would you like to see get the old heave ho?
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Re: If You Could Get Rid Of One Ride....

And let me add by saying I didn't create this thread to insinuate that any current attraction is worse than any previous one. Just a question to any opinions if there are any that fans would like to see go, perhaps for a previous version or something new entirely.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Seed and Mulch

If it's strict removal? Then it would have to be the Magic Carpets.

If it's removal and replace with what used to be there? It would have to be one of the EPCOT trifecta (Mission Space, Test Track or Journey Into Your Imagination).

• i believe in faeries.

innoventions. that space is completely wasted, imo.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Well I am going to pick 1 per park

Magic Kingdom:
    First Choice: Tomorrowland Speedway (massive foot print a whole land could go there)
    Second Choice: Aladdin's Magic Carpets
    Third Choice: Stitches Great Escape
    Fourth Choice: Monsters Inc Laugh Floor

Epcot:
    First Choice: Innoventions
    Second Choice: Mission Space
    Third Choice: Captain EO
    Fourth Choice: Ellen's Energy Adventure

Disney Hollywood Studios
    First Choice: Back Lot Tour
    Second Choice: Voyage of the Little Mermaid LIVE
    Third Choice: The Magic of Disney Animation
    Fourth Choice: Honey I Shrunk the Kids Adventure

Disney's Animal Kingdom:
    First Choice: Primeval Whirl
    Second Choice: Triceratops Spin
    Third Choice: Kali River Rapids
    Fourth Choice: It's tough to be a bug
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post

If it's removal and replace with what used to be there? It would have to be one of the EPCOT trifecta (Mission Space, Test Track or Journey Into Your Imagination).
    Those would be my first choices, too.

• formerly very helpful

First thought is the "plain track" roller coasters in DAK dinosaur section. Nothing too special about those.

I may have other answers if I give it some more thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post

It could be either or. I remember when Future World used to be about showcasing the future, like an expo. Now its just another land in another theme park. Don't get me wrong though, I still love the place. It's still my favorite park on the resort. But it's starting to lose its individuality, starting to lose what made it unique. Look back before California Adventure. Disney wanted to place a west coast version of Epcot there, but then eventually said no because they wanted to Epcot to remain unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Avaren View Post
    innoventions. that space is completely wasted, imo.
    It is somewhat of a waste of space, but makes a nice place to rest & get away from the summer heat & humidity. They should just put more imaginative & interactive things in there to keep the guests coming in for more than just the air conditioning. I remember when Innoventions at Disneyland first opened. It was not only a way to escape the summer heat (minus humidity), but they had fun games to play in there. They used to have this fun "quiz show" that was like a game show upstairs, and they had another game show like game downstairs in the part of the building that rotated. They used to have some cool Disney PC games that you could play. Well, I can't tell you what they have now because I'm in Florida and I haven't been there in two years. Innoventions is not a complete waste of space as long as they can keep it fresh & interesting. But I see your point though.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post

Magic Kingdom:
    First Choice: Tomorrowland Speedway (massive foot print a whole land could go there) <---(Psss, Cars Land!)

Epcot:

Disney Hollywood Studios

Disney's Animal Kingdom:
    Third Choice: Kali River Rapids
    Fourth Choice: It's tough to be a bug
    When I created this thread last night, I kinda left out something simply because I forgot. The main inspiration for this thread besides the other one, was something that Eric just reminded me of. I was thinking of The Great Movie Ride when this thread idea came to mind. The park has been open for over 20 years, its hard to believe its been that long already. And GMR is an original, probably one of the last that is still there, that either hasn't been removed or updated. Soooooo, do you remove it, or do you update it? Remove it means removing the basic centerpiece, the ORIGINAL centerpiece for the park. Until they stuck that big hat in the way. I guess they needed something large to tower over everything else, to reach towards the skyline like Cinderella's castle, Spaceship Earth, & the Tree of Life and Graumans Chinese Theater really didn't make the mark. But if they update the ride, they're messing with an original and there are so few of those left. But as it stands, its kind of outdated. Just an opinion of mine, I'm not really wanting them to remove it. I am just wondering what could be done.

But in regards to your choices, Cars Land would make a great addition to MK if they needed a place to put it. Otherwise they'll probably just put it in HS like they are most likely planning. And there would be others that would say since they've already spent a lot of money to expand Fantasyland, they will most likely not make another expansion on the same park by adding another whole new land. And yes, they should take out the Laugh Floor, perhaps put it over by TS Mania in HS. The only thing I don't like about Mission Space is that they replaced my favorite ride, Horizons. And I know I'm not the only one who misses this ride. As for Captain EO, they brought it back because of the overall public demand to bring it back after the passing of Michael Jackson. The question is, is America & the rest of the world ready to let go and move on? They got rid of it once, and I think if they get rid of it again, it will never "ever ever ever"...... come back. Now if they got rid of Ellen's Energy Adventure, I would be kind of disappointed. I could do without the Jeopardy part. Or the long movie part of it. The only thing I like is the animatronic dinosaurs. You get that on Dinosaur in AK, but the ride is so dark and you rush by everything, you don't get to really see anything. But I have to admit, I haven't been on EEA since they reformatted it from the original. I've been wanting to go on it, but I always end up changing my mind.

When it comes to DHS, I agree with all of them except the first. Its a "Studio" park and it could use a few more tours like they originally had. Or at least update them. They used to have live shows taped on the property and now they don't anymore. Its become a theme park for thrill rides. The only originals are GMR, Indiana Stunt Show, Star Tours (if you forget about the update), and "part" of the backstage studio tour. I remember when you used to go down one street on the tour and see the Golden Girls house. That brings back fond memories. As for AK, I only agree with the first two. Frankly, the entire Dinosaur land is a waste of space. They could place something else there that could really bring in the numbers they want. Dinosaur (the ride) is basically like riding Indiana Jones Temple of the Forbidden Eye, but its all about Dinosaurs. Anyone from Southern California on here, if you know enough about Knott's Berry Farm, then you'll know exactly what I am talking about when I say that Dinosaur is like a cross between Kingdom of the Dinosaurs and the Indiana Jones Ride at Disneyland. The cars are the same as the Indy ride, and you have a bunch of big lizards growling at you in the dark,..... along with the "going back through time, thing." Honestly, they could take out this whole land and put the Avatar themed area that was in negotiation. Otherwise go with something completely new. I'm a BIG fan of zoological parks, like the two in San Diego, the Los Angeles Zoo, or the National Zoo in DC. When I walk into AK, I want to feel like I am walking into one of those types of zoos, and I just don't get that there. The only two things that attract me to AK are Everest and the Safari, which instead of making it a nice ride around to see the different animals they have, Disney had to put a story into it and turn it into a ride that can scare the crap out of small children! Sure they have to two trails to see some animals, but they don't have enough to equal the level of the San Diego Zoo, the LA Zoo, or the National Zoo. They need more, otherwise its basically my least favorite park out of the 4. As for River Rapids and TTBAB, the river ride helps guests keep cool during the hot summer months, so that can stay. And I think TTBAB is placed appropriately underneath the Tree of Life. They did a nice job with that, perspective wise, where as when you go into the theater, you really do feel like an ant when you look up at the tree.

Sge ........

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Journey Into Imagination With Figment to Journey Into Imagination With Dreamfinder & Figment!!!!

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post

Magic Kingdom:
    First Choice: Tomorrowland Speedway (massive foot print a whole land could go there)

Epcot:

Disney Hollywood Studios

Disney's Animal Kingdom:
    Third Choice: It's tough to be a bug

Basically had my same thoughts...with the exception of Kali River Rapids...I really like that ride for some reason, even though it's basically your standard rapids type of ride..that and Animal Kingdom has so little in the way of Rides it would be a shame to remove one of the more popular original themed rides...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Metro-Retro Historian

does Epcot's Festival Center count?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    does Epcot's Festival Center count?

It could, or they could just put something else there.

I'd like to add something else, but it doesn't necessarily pertain to an entire attraction. While I was at Epcot on Saturday 3/16, I took the time to see the American Adventure show in the afternoon. And I know they updated it in recent years but there is a part that they should remove. After the majority of the show, towards the end where they are playing "Golden Dreams" and showing a number of American heroes, there is a part that I disagree with & I'm not sure how others feel on it. Now this is just my opinion, but one of them is an image of Lance Armstrong during one of his Tour De France victories. In light of the scandal with him & due to all of his dishonesty, I feel that this should be removed from the part of the film. (It's shown just after they show Tiger Woods, who could probably also be removed, but alas...) As far as I am concerned, Armstrong should not grace the same screen as other beloved American heroes. He's a sore spot amongst the strong feelings of American pride that myself, and most likely countless of others feel while seeing this attraction. It's just my opinion that he no longer deserves it, that he should not share the screen with the likes of Walt Disney, Neil Armstrong, or Muhammad Ali.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

My first thought when I saw the title of the thread was RIP OUT Stitch's Great Escape and bring back Alien Encounter. I wouldn't be in favor of removing the Tommorrowland Speedway just yet. I would like to see them replace the gas powered motors with electric motors that can be quickly recharged.
    Current coaster count: 166
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags over Georgia

Yes that's one reason I usually don't like riding them. Because I feel like I'm riding, or smelling, a lawnmower. They should take something like the Speedway, or Autopia in California, and tech it up a bit. It's fun for kids who are too young to drive a real car, but for most grown ups (or at least myself, in my opinion) its kind of boring. I drive a long way just to go to WDW and I don't go on the speedway because I'll have my own car when I'm ready to leave. But it would be more fun if they "teched" it up a bit, I don't know.... make it something like Tron or liven it up a bit like Test Track. Of course, every time I go on TT, I feel like I'm on Tron. Perhaps with the way they have TT now, it is a more teched up alternative to the speedway or the Autopia. I can't see how they can come up with a better version that's different and can stand out apart from Test Track. Any ideas anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast