Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: The "I Have A Quick Random WDW Related Question...." Thread

One note: There is no "hot air balloon" at Downtown Disney. It is actually a giant helium balloon. Just FYI, it's important to know the difference.
    -Bill

In trying to revive this thread, I have a question as I spend the day here at the WDW property.

Why is it that in California the plaza hub has so much shade. But here in MK, where it gets very hot and humid during the summer, there are so very few trees and its so open? Is it because they don't want trees blocking the gorgeous castle, or what? You'd think some shade would be nice in that area, especially when it comes to parade times or waiting for shows on the castle stage.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    When the parking garages open they will be free because Disney will technically not own them since Reddy Creek the City Disney is in will technically own them.
    I'm not entirely sure about this, but I don't think Reedy Creek is an actual city. It's full name is the Reedy Creek Improvement District, and it allows Disney to maintain its own government within its property, cutting red tape etc. The actual town is Lake Buena Vista. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    In trying to revive this thread, I have a question as I spend the day here at the WDW property.

Why is it that in California the plaza hub has so much shade. But here in MK, where it gets very hot and humid during the summer, there are so very few trees and its so open? Is it because they don't want trees blocking the gorgeous castle, or what? You'd think some shade would be nice in that area, especially when it comes to parade times or waiting for shows on the castle stage.
    The utilidor prevents large trees from being planted at MK, although, the Fantasyland expansion extends to a portion of the property where the utilidor does not run under the park. This is one of the few areas in MK where bigger trees have more room for a larger root system.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I'm not entirely sure about this, but I don't think Reedy Creek is an actual city. It's full name is the Reedy Creek Improvement District, and it allows Disney to maintain its own government within its property, cutting red tape etc. The actual town is Lake Buena Vista. Right?
    The Reedy Creek Improvement District (RCID) is the immediate governing jurisdiction for the land of the Walt Disney World Resort. As of the late 1990s, it comprised an area of 38.6 sq mi (100 km2) within the outer limits of Orange and Osceola counties in Florida. The RCID includes the cities of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista, and unincorporated RCID land.

Reedy Creek Improvement District

• Minion

TDO decided that the large olive trees in MK's hub needed to be removed to improve the view for the character shows on the Castle stage as well as the fireworks spectaculars.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    TDO decided that the large olive trees in MK's hub needed to be removed to improve the view for the character shows on the Castle stage as well as the fireworks spectaculars.
    I kinda figured that when I was actually finished asking the question. It wasn't necessarily the view of the castle itself or the fireworks that hit me, it was the stage show. But that plaza hub seriously needs some shade.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah there used to be a lot of trees around the hub but they removed to "improve sight-lines" of the castle. I have photos from the 70s & 80s where you can see the trees. You can probably find other photos using Google Image too.

Assuming its for Disney World and for Star Wars weekends, does anyone know how I can find that ad I have seen on this site only briefly for it? It featured two boys holding lightsabers with R2-D2 in between them. I only briefly saw a very quick glimpse of it earlier today just as I was closing the page. And ever since I've tried to find it again but without success. All I keep getting are the ads with the Smurfs and Trugreen.

Assuming its for Disney World and for Star Wars weekends, does anyone know how I can find that ad I have seen on this site only briefly for it? It featured two boys holding lightsabers with R2-D2 in between them. I only briefly saw a very quick glimpse of it earlier today just as I was closing the page. And ever since I've tried to find it again but without success. All I keep getting are the ads with the Smurfs and Trugreen.
    Can you be a little more specific of what it is you're looking for? What page? And apparently it's an ad for Star Wars Weekends?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Can you be a little more specific of what it is you're looking for? What page? And apparently it's an ad for Star Wars Weekends?
    Its a Disney ad for what I can guess is Star Wars weekends because for one it featured two kids holding light sabers by R2. It was the 3 inch square ad on micechat, the forums. The same corner ad that appears on any micechat forum page no matter what you're looking at.

I may just have to wait for it to come up again. Asking for its like.....trying to ask ahead what's the next Star Tours sequence you're going to go on.

This is more "Disney Look" related but I didn't really think it proper to make a new thread. Hopefully this doesn't turn into some big race thing, but I'm a black 18 year old looking to get a job this summer at Disney. The problem I'm worried about is my hair not complying with the Disney Look. My hair is only 4 inches long (MUCH shorter than most Cast Members I've seen mind you), but because of the way it naturally grows (which I can't at all help), I'm afraid they might not allow me to even have a second interview assuming I get the first. Are there any black/black mixed CMs that had trouble with this? I don't really think it's right to discriminate me for my natural hairstyle, but it feels like something that would be a problem at Disney despite it not being one at any of my other jobs, many of the orders (we called them that instead of customers) complimented me and I had a few interesting chats with a few older black ones that said they were happy to see a young black man proud of his heritage.

I can't really answer that question for you, but all you can do is try. You may never know, you may get lucky.

^ Yes, this. Disney has gotten a little more lenient with the "Disney Look" in recent years (guys can now have facial hair as long as it's trimmed neatly). If you explain your situation to Casting, it might help them understand and you never know, they might be more accommodating that you think. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    ^ Yes, this. Disney has gotten a little more lenient with the "Disney Look" in recent years (guys can now have facial hair as long as it's trimmed neatly). If you explain your situation to Casting, it might help them understand and you never know, they might be more accommodating that you think. Good luck!
    Remember that story that came out of Anaheim a couple of years ago where a woman who worked at the Disneyland Hotel was fired because of a head dress piece that she wore because of her religion? I don't remember what its called, nor what happened to the lady. But when I was at the WDW property on the 18th of this month, I saw a female CM wearing the same type of attire on her head working on Star Tours. So apparently they have gotten lenient. I guess the action with the hotel CM came back to bite them in the rear.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast