Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Everest - the last great E-ticket?

I just posted this on another thread in response to a question and thought it deserved its own thread. Here is the short story about how Everest was greenlit...

Everest was greenlit in December of 2002 after Pressler left and before Rasulo moved to California from Paris. It was mid-December and WDI was almost deserted.

It was greenlit by Eisner and Tom Staggs (CFO) at Al Weiss' behest. Al Weiss had just been offered the job of President of Parks and Resorts--which he turned down because he did not want to move out of Central Florida. The job was then offered to Jay Rasulo, but Al had earned a special place in the eyes of the other Disney Executives. Everyone knew he was the first choice (even Rasulo) and that gave him a special kind of authority--at least temporarily.

It's amazing really. It was a perfect storm. Joe Rohde had a completed concept ready to go. Pressler was gone. Al Weiss was in favor of adding an E-Ticket to DAK, and Rasulo had not yet taken over. Had any one of these four elements not been in place, there would be no Everest. It was a miracle, and we wont see it happen again soon.

• Banned User

Re: Everest - the last great E-ticket?

Yes, an excellent observation. It's all true too. That's the sad part. And now Al is stuck in a position that will basically have no power. He should have taken the job while he could. Message for Bob Iger: Get Jay out while you still can. I could manage the parks and resorts better than he will ever be able to. Jay doesn't understand as much as you think he does. Jay doesn't have a clue about the main ideas. He understands what is wrong, but he doesn't understand how to fix it.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Wait a minute.. I thought our resident critics didn't like Al and blamed him for the downfall of WDW's quality? And that since Pressler left things have turned around in CA...

What's going on here?

• Banned User

it won't happen again because two out of the three people involved either don't work for disney or work in other capacities. Matt seems to be getting what he wants for DL these days, so lets wait and see who gets put in charge of WDW. and then give the guy a little time before we roast him over the coals. Rome wasn't built in a day and the problems at DL and WDW won't be fixed overnight. (what few there are)

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Wait a minute.. I thought our resident critics didn't like Al and blamed him for the downfall of WDW's quality? And that since Pressler left things have turned around in CA...

What's going on here?
    It sounds like you're saying that you thought Al Weiss was a bad guy and Jay Rasulo was a good guy. Right? Well, my best response is to say that it is more complicated than that. It's not black & white but gray. Yes, Al Weiss gets some of the blame for the drop in WDW's quality. He has stayed in the good graces of upper management by not fighting for things he should be fighting for. But, on occasion, he has been known to do the right thing. Anthing positive that has happened at WDW in the past 10 years, Al gets some of the credit. Anything negative, Al gets some of the blame...because he has been the single most influential person at WDW in recent history--for better or for worse.

As for Jay...I know people like him beacuse he brought Matt Ouimet to DL and put a fresh coat of paint on Main Street. But paint is a lot cheaper than E-ticket rides (Jay does not build them) or paying Cast Members a living wage. Jay has given Matt some money to fix the more obvious problems created by Pressler, but that does not make him a good guy. Jay was famous for trying to block Splach Mountain and Indiana Jones from being funded when he was a Strat Planner, and he destroyed Disneyland Paris in the same penny-pinching manner that Pressler destroyed Disneyland. Rasulo is good in comparison to Pressler, but that isn't saying much.

• The one, the only...

I have no inside information, but I think that Matt has had some more wiggle room because he has been out in California. There is just more scrutiny of WDW by management, both because of its prominence and the location being so close to where management sits.

I think it would be sad if EE was the last E ticket. I think it is going to boost attendance, not just for DAK but for all of WDW! I don't understand why management does not see this. Then I think through this... I bet that Jay is getting PAID to think this way. I bet that his bonus is determined from how he can keep costs down. Disney pays the best bonuses in all of corporate American... strike that... the world! I am sure that Jay is "enjoying" keeping E ticket rides out of his parks.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Wait...I'm lost too. There are times people are sitting here B*!ching and moaning about how crappy WDW has become and how management has no clue and how Al Weiss needs to go...but now it is Al Weiss is great, so sad he has no power, Jay Rasulo is the devil (when did the waterboy come into play here?).
    When did this whole Rasulo is bad thing come into play though? Because I can tell you one thing and this is not based off insider information, analysis of buisness any of that "fact"...this is off my observations as a paying visitor. Jay Rasulo took over the parks and resorts and they went up tenfold from where they were with Pressler. Obviously he has a sense of what is right and what is needed because he turned it all around. It is not at Judsen Green standards but whatever. I like Rasulo. Rasulo can stay.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

I don't think this is the last E-Ticket, regardless of who is in power. We won't be seeing many attractions of Everest's scale, but when has that ever been the case? WDW (excepting AK) doesn't need new E-tickets now so much as updates and refurbishments along the lines of the updates the living seas is seeing. I don't really have a problem with Rasulo...he seems to have some idea of how things should work. Compare what would have happened for Disneyland's 50th under Pressler and Cynthia to what really happened. There is certainly SOME improvement, though the extent is debatable.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Jay Rasulo took over the parks and resorts and they went up tenfold from where they were with Pressler. Obviously he has a sense of what is right and what is needed because he turned it all around. It is not at Judsen Green standards but whatever. I like Rasulo. Rasulo can stay.
    There's a post above about this and the opinion seems to be "comparing Paul to Jay is like comparing Worst Ever to Slightly Less Than Worst." Even the best(?) managers have their flaws. I like Matt's focus on guest experience but I wouldn't work for the guy until he pays competitively with the burger chains.

ATM I don't think WDW will see any benefit from a new E-ticket. Everest was more of a regional fix, giving the AK park a reason to stay open later. E-tickets require you to overlook other expenses to some degree, and WDW's problem at the moment is that too much of the place obviously looks like it was built in the 70s.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 01-18-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago

Wow ya know its amazing how much you learn about how the park runs and whos in charge of what from reading these boards...now i know..and knowing is half the battle =o) yo joe!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I think it's a fun intellectual discussion on the politics and personnel of the Disney company. But to say that there will be no more E ticket attractions is pretty over the top, IMO. There may be periods of years in between, but the lifeblood of the Disney parks has always been periodic infusions of great new attractions. This isn't going to change, no matter who's in charge.
    Last edited by danyoung; 01-18-2006 at 06:35 PM.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I think it's a fun intellectual discussion on the politics and personnel of the Disney company. But to say that there will be no more E ticket attractions is pretty over the top, IMO. There may be periods of years in between, but the lifeblood of the Disney parks have always been periodic infusions of great new attractions. This isn't going to change, no matter who's in charge.
    Agreed...even Universal realizes they need a blockbuster every few years...
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania

What's going on here?
    Nah, I still can't stand Al.

But it is true that he was able to sneak Everest through under the radar during the perfect time.

But I'd gladly give it up -- and I haven't ridden it yet -- to start getting some Disney quality back in the other parks. The MK is just in a very sorry condition and a rehab of the train station (so they could add more stroller storage) and lawyerize the sidewalks just doesn't cut for me.

As Mr. Eggz says, nothing is black-and-white. I don't think either Weiss or Rasulo are devils (just like I felt the same about Paul Pressler, who was a whole lot more personable than either of the others.), but just like Eisner their time has passed and it's time they moved along.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I think it's a fun intellectual discussion on the politics and personnel of the Disney company. But to say that there will be no more E ticket attractions is pretty over the top, IMO. There may be periods of years in between, but the lifeblood of the Disney parks has always been periodic infusions of great new attractions. This isn't going to change, no matter who's in charge.
    Really?

So when was the last time the MK got a new E-Ticket addition?

(and no McPooPooLand doesn't count)

• Old Timer

Its the last one...in the US.
    Japan will have a new double E ride soon.(Who on earth would ride an F ride?)
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast